Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Well, screw Stone and their ALLTHEHOPS. The Bigfoot will be at the B1G tailgate (a fellow Gopher fan is bringing it), so I imagine I'll be able to try that. I'll look for the Alesmith. Thanks!
    The sweet, malty nature of barleywines hides a lot of the hoppiness/bitterness of them. Even Bigfoot, which doesn't come across as hoppy or bitter at all has a very high IBU rating, one that's on par with the Old Guardian from Stone.
    Old Monster Records

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
      The sweet, malty nature of barleywines hides a lot of the hoppiness/bitterness of them. Even Bigfoot, which doesn't come across as hoppy or bitter at all has a very high IBU rating, one that's on par with the Old Guardian from Stone.
      I tried their Russian Imperial Stout....and it was too hoppy. That's saying something with that style of beer. I enjoy an occasional IPA (just one before I move on to something else) and I cannot stand Stone because of their insistence of hopshopshops.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Bacardi Select - which I believe is their new name for the defunct Bacardi Dark - and Coke. Haven't had Bacardi Dark in years and had forgotten how much I actually like it. Why can't any bars have this or Bacardi Gold instead of (or in addition to) Bacardi Light? I mean, I get that they have to have the mass produced, mass marketed brand, but maybe carry the better tasting varieties of said brand?

Had it with blackened mahi fish tacos. Feet up and ready for Hawks v. Blues.

Comment

Never liked Bacardi.

Cracked a Left Hand Nitro Russian Imperial Stout. It's creamier (at least, that is the taste I am getting). I like it, but prefer the traditional way better for this style.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Never liked Bacardi.

I've always found the Gold and Dark to be acceptable... good even.

As I've mentioned (griped) before, I get sick of Bacardi Light being the only choice for anything other than rail at bars. I don't really like it but have learned to tolerate it due to the beggars and choosers dynamic and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I've always found the Gold and Dark to be acceptable... good even.

As I've mentioned (griped) before, I get sick of Bacardi Light being the only choice for anything other than rail at bars. I don't really like it but have learned to tolerate it due to the beggars and choosers dynamic and all that.
              I call it the "Bacardi Bite" but there's just a certain taste to it that I don't care for, no matter what kind it is.

Comment

I call it the "Bacardi Bite" but there's just a certain taste to it that I don't care for, no matter what kind it is.

Is this how it's gonna be with you and I today?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Is this how it's gonna be with you and I today?

Today? Always!

To tell the truth, I rarely drink rum. Dunno why. I do like me a good rum.

Comment

Today? Always!

To tell the truth, I rarely drink rum. Dunno why. I do like me a good rum.

Rum is my deal. Last count I have 22 varieties on hand. Nothing too high end (couple of Plantation varieties) and Bacardi probably being the low end. I originally stocked Bacardi in case someone was over and wanted a light rum. Now I will have it from time to time with fruit juices - you know, candyass style. Don't like it with Coke though and bars don't typically carry mango or passionfruit juice.

Now switching to Pusser's and Coke.

Comment

The low end rums are made for mixing (Bacardi, Captain). If it wasn't obvious before, whiskey/bourbon is my thing. Not TOO familiar with the rums. I think Appleton is the highest end I've tried, and that seems to be mid-range?

Comment

The low end rums are made for mixing (Bacardi, Captain). If it wasn't obvious before, whiskey/bourbon is my thing. Not TOO familiar with the rums. I think Appleton is the highest end I've tried, and that seems to be mid-range?
                        Yep. Appleton is mid.

I'm starting to explore more whiskey and bourbon, but am most definitely a noob in that area and as you can probably tell, like to mix so most likely the high end stuff would be lost on me.

I'm hoping to learn more moving forward though and maybe gain an appreciation.

And as horrible as it may be, I even mix the high(er) end rums. I enjoy a mixed drink - so shoot me - and trust me, I can still tell the difference, even mixed.

Another mid is this Pusser's and **** if it ain't tasty. One of my favs.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a mixed drink. 7&7s are a fave of mine. For bourbon, I'll buy Evan Williams for mixing. The other stuff I won't mix. It'll be either neat or chilled, no "on the rocks." I think you'll get an appreciation for the high end bourbons and such, as each will offer something slightly different, depending on the brand.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a mixed drink. 7&7s are a fave of mine. For bourbon, I'll buy Evan Williams for mixing. The other stuff I won't mix. It'll be either neat or chilled, no "on the rocks." I think you'll get an appreciation for the high end bourbons and such, as each will offer something slightly different, depending on the brand.
                            My whiskey/bourbon collection is rather paltry.

CC, Johnny Drum, Kilbeggan, Bushmills, Pendleton (which you turned me onto) and Tullamore Dew.

Will be working on this in the future.

Comment

Here are my rums...

Flora de Cana Gran Reserva 7 yr (Nicaragua)
                              Flora de Cana Extra Dry Light 4 yr (Nicaragua)
                              Clement V.S.O.P. (Martinique)
                              Kirk & Sweeney 12 yr (Dominican)
                              Pusser's (BVI)
                              Coruba Dark (Jamaica)
                              Rhum Barbancourt 4 yr (Haiti)
                              Tortuga Gold (Jamaica)
                              Cockspur (Barbados)
                              Appleton Special (Jamaica)
                              Appleton Estate (Jamaica)
                              Angostura 5 yr (Trinidad & Tobago)
                              Gosling's Black (Bermuda)
                              Mount Gay Eclipse (Barbados)
                              Mount Gay Black Barrel (Barbados)
                              Old Port (India)
                              Yahara Bay Light (Madison)
                              Pyrat XO Reserve (Guyana)
                              Plantation Old Reserve 2000 (Barbados)
                              Plantation 20 Year Anniversary (Barbados)
                              Bacardi Light (Cuba)
                              Bacardi Gold (Cuba)
                              Bacardi Select (Cuba)
                              Bacardi 151 (Cuba)
                              Cruzan Light (St. Croix)
                              Cruzan Gold (St. Croix)
                              Cruzan Black Strap (St. Croix)
                              Cruzan 151 (St. Croix)

And then I also have 7 or 8 varieties of Cruzan flavored rums, Captain Morgan and Shellback Silver. I don't count these as actual rums, but they contribute to my collection.

There are a lot of bars in the Caribbean that don't have this selection and I still check the rum aisle at every liquor store that I walk into. My wife says I'm obsessed.

Just gettin' started hon.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                                I'd like to give mad props to Bulleit Rye. Tasty stuff, both on its own, and in a Sazerac.
                                Yeah, Bulleit is solid and not too expensive, and the bottle has a nice old-school look to it. It makes a good Manhattan.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brent's distaste for Bacardi.
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X