Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Visited 45th Parallel distillery in New Richmond WI today for a tour with MNS, dx, and bbdl. Their vodka is available around here, I guess. It was quite tasty. They also make bourbon, rye whiskey, aquavit, limoncello, and gin (only available there). I tried all those except the gin, and wasn't disappointed at all. Bought a bottle of the bourbon and a couple small whiskey glasses.

Then, on the way home, we decided to stop by the Lift Bridge tap room and have a beer. Had their Silhouette barrel-aged beer. Holy hannah was that outstanding. They also had it in regular version and nitro version. Ended up buying a couple (badly needed) tulip glasses there, too.

Definitely recommend both places.

Like I said on GPL:

I was disappointed when I got home and found out the glasses I bought were the small ones and not the larger versions they had on the shelf.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Yuengling during the Super Bowl yesterday. Meh, good enough.

Hot spiced wine with dinner on Saturday. Mmmmmm.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Tasted a test batch of homebrew yesterday, super simple 2-row base malt with some honey added during the boil, minimal hops (maybe 25IBUs tops, can't remember off the top of my head). Super easy drinking, nice a dry thanks to my sourdough yeast being beasts at attenuation with a nice backdrop of honey flavor.

Have 5 gallons of saison hanging out too (2-row base malt, acidulated malt for a touch of sourness, and honey malt to get honey notes without adding honey, low hops and used my sourdough yeast again), tasted the uncarbonated version of it after racking to secondary to settle for another 2 weeks before bottling. Another good one once it gets a few more months of conditioning to it, just a hint of sour upfront, good body and malt in the middle, then finishes with subtle bubblebum-ish flavor.

I have a Flanders Red and Sour Cherry Porter on deck for brewing the next two weekends, the Flanders won't be ready until Christmas time (excited to see what happens with that, still finalizing my recipe, but I'm 95% sure I have it the way I want it). I've made a 1 gallon test batch of the porter before and I absolutely love it. Can't wait to have 5 gallons of it since I only have 2 bottles left.
        Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
          Tasted a test batch of homebrew yesterday, super simple 2-row base malt with some honey added during the boil, minimal hops (maybe 25IBUs tops, can't remember off the top of my head). Super easy drinking, nice a dry thanks to my sourdough yeast being beasts at attenuation with a nice backdrop of honey flavor.

Have 5 gallons of saison hanging out too (2-row base malt, acidulated malt for a touch of sourness, and honey malt to get honey notes without adding honey, low hops and used my sourdough yeast again), tasted the uncarbonated version of it after racking to secondary to settle for another 2 weeks before bottling. Another good one once it gets a few more months of conditioning to it, just a hint of sour upfront, good body and malt in the middle, then finishes with subtle bubblebum-ish flavor.

I have a Flanders Red and Sour Cherry Porter on deck for brewing the next two weekends, the Flanders won't be ready until Christmas time (excited to see what happens with that, still finalizing my recipe, but I'm 95% sure I have it the way I want it). I've made a 1 gallon test batch of the porter before and I absolutely love it. Can't wait to have 5 gallons of it since I only have 2 bottles left.
          Good luck with the Flanders Red! I have two batches that are 4-5 months in on a planned 18 month age, depending on the development of the flavor. I just bottled an imperial pumpkin that is around 12% that I brewed in September using a modified version of a recipe in Zymurgy. The sample I had was quite boozy, so it may take 6 or so months in the bottle before it smooths out.

How do you like using sourdough yeast? Is it your own strain that you have been propagating or do you start over each batch?
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
            Good luck with the Flanders Red! I have two batches that are 4-5 months in on a planned 18 month age, depending on the development of the flavor. I just bottled an imperial pumpkin that is around 12% that I brewed in September using a modified version of a recipe in Zymurgy. The sample I had was quite boozy, so it may take 6 or so months in the bottle before it smooths out.

How do you like using sourdough yeast? Is it your own strain that you have been propagating or do you start over each batch?
            I hope my Flanders won't have to go that long, will be doing 1/2 my yeast and half commercial sour mix, we'll see what happens.

My sourdough is a wild culture I started from my backyard over a year ago. I mostly keep it in the fridge, but feed it every two weeks or so (1/3 starter, 1/3 flour, 1/3 water) if I'm not baking with it and let it sit out 24hrs before putting it back in the fridge. When I'm going to brew with it, I feed it fresh, let it sit out 24 hours, then use a step up starter with light DME at 1.040 OG. First I put 1 tbls into ~150-200mls, let that stir for 24 hours (for 1 gallon test batches this is all I use), then step up to 1000ml-1500ml for another 24-48 hours before pitching into 5 gallon batches. It makes really good beer.
            Old Monster Records

Comment

Having a bomber of Deschutes/Great Lakes Collaboration Class of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter. This is a great beer. Layers of flavor and just enough smoke. Other than beers I've had at Hammerheart, this is the best smoked beer I've tasted. Highly recommended.

My fiance brought that home, and also a bottle of Trappiste Rochefort 10, and Petrus Aged Red. Both of those were excellent too, especially the Petrus, which had a nice cherry flavor, that wasn't overpowering. Also highly recommended.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Having a bomber of Deschutes/Great Lakes Collaboration Class of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter. This is a great beer. Layers of flavor and just enough smoke. Other than beers I've had at Hammerheart, this is the best smoked beer I've tasted. Highly recommended.

My fiance brought that home, and also a bottle of Trappiste Rochefort 10, and Petrus Aged Red. Both of those were excellent too, especially the Petrus, which had a nice cherry flavor, that wasn't overpowering. Also highly recommended.
                The Trappist one is good.

Picked up a 4-pack of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy (just hit this market in the past week or so). Pricey (about $15 for 12 oz cans). It's good, but for that price point, there are better beers out there. They also make the Old Chub scotch ale, which I really like (it is cheaper than the Ten Fidy, btw).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I typically dislike smoked beers - if I wanted my beer to taste like ham, I would just eat a ham steak. However, I might look for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I typically dislike smoked beers - if I wanted my beer to taste like ham, I would just eat a ham steak. However, I might look for that one.
                    The one smoke beer that I tried (Schells) I hated. However, boiling my brats in it was tasty. So you can salvage a use out of a smoked beer that you don't like.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The one smoke beer that I tried (Schells) I hated. However, boiling my brats in it was tasty. So you can salvage a use out of a smoked beer that you don't like.
                      I would hope that I would not have to use a collaborative, limited release brew that will probably cost me $10+ bomber, for farking beer brats.

Comment

I would hope that I would not have to use a collaborative, limited release brew that will probably cost me $10+ bomber, for farking beer brats.
                        That was my thought. Unfortunately, that was the only use for it, IMO.

Haven't had the '88, mixed reviews, but I am cautious on it.

Comment

Actually, I believe that bomber was quite cheap. I think it was $6.99 at the local beer store, so if you don't like it, you're not out much money.

And Brent, you've had more smoked beers than that, the barrel aged Hammerheart Irish Red was a smoked beer. They called it "peated" because it was peat smoke.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Actually, I believe that bomber was quite cheap. I think it was $6.99 at the local beer store, so if you don't like it, you're not out much money.

And Brent, you've had more smoked beers than that, the barrel aged Hammerheart Irish Red was a smoked beer. They called it "peated" because it was peat smoke.
                            Ah, I should have clarified: rauchbier. Where it's only smoked, not with anything else going on.

Comment

Ah, I should have clarified: rauchbier. Where it's only smoked, not with anything else going on.
                              This one isn't far off from the Hammerheart, with the layers of flavors it has going on.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Trappist one is good.

Picked up a 4-pack of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy (just hit this market in the past week or so). Pricey (about $15 for 12 oz cans). It's good, but for that price point, there are better beers out there. They also make the Old Chub scotch ale, which I really like (it is cheaper than the Ten Fidy, btw).
                                I haven't had the Ten Fidy but the Old Chub is pretty good.
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X