Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmh
    replied
    Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I mentioned this on GPL, but not here. Jefferson's Ocean. Bourbon that is aged while sailing around the world. Hits 5 continents, crosses equator 4 times. The movement of the ship allows more contact with the barrels, and the different climates add to the taste during aging.

I had said on GPL that at $85/bottle I was curious, but not THAT curious. Well, some money came my way recently, and allowed me to become that curious.

It tastes like a non-Islay scotch and bourbon had a lovechild. It's quite delicious.
    I've heard about that stuff, the process sounded really interesting but it's nice to hear that the product turns out well too.

My local fancy beer bar is doing a bottle pouring of Founders Big Lushious and Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail Simcoe Single Hop Edition later on this week and I'm planning to hit it up with a couple of friends. Hooray beer!

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied
    Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

We ended up bringing 4 rums home from St. Kitts. Nothing high-end. We went with 4 bottles of the Brinley Rum that they don't distill on the island, but they process on the island (they buy a basic light rum off of a different island, and then infuse fruit flavors, or do other stuff to it, and bottle it). We got 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Mango, 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Coffee, 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Spiced, and 1 bottle of Brinley White Lime. We had specific drinks on the island using each of these that we liked, so we want to try to recreate them at some point. Each bottle was $10.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Didn't they get a **** ton of snow already?

Or was that Marquette?

They all look the same to me...
    Lots of snow (as usual). KBC is a good local beer. I mean, it's a far cry from the BCS's or KBS's of the world, but it's quality. I would say Schell's/Summit or New Glarus would be a comparable brew quality.

Although, we do get KBC here, finally.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Didn't they get a **** ton of snow already?

Or was that Marquette?

They all look the same to me...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Mmmm... KBC.

Don't even remember if it's that good (although I think it was pretty good), but it's local and that counts for something (a lot).

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

So... what? Flash floods?
    I won't care. I'll have decent hockey (tUMD/MTU) and beer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Forecast is favorable. Hell, it's gonna be 40 in Houghton on Fri and Sat.

So... what? Flash floods?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Been on Hwy 2 many a time. At least it's not a dicey time of year...

Wait...
    Forecast is favorable. Hell, it's gonna be 40 in Houghton on Fri and Sat.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Not even close. Mpls to Houghton, not taking the diagonal route through WI, so as to spend as little time as possible in that state (Mpls -> Duluth and cutting over on Hwy 2, one of the worst highways to ever be on).

A Madison road trip has been discussed for a summer weekend, though. Greenbush Bar FTW.

Been on Hwy 2 many a time. At least it's not a dicey time of year...

Wait...

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

If that road trip ends in Madison, bring me a bottle!
    Not even close. Mpls to Houghton, not taking the diagonal route through WI, so as to spend as little time as possible in that state (Mpls -> Duluth and cutting over on Hwy 2, one of the worst highways to ever be on).

A Madison road trip has been discussed for a summer weekend, though. Greenbush Bar FTW.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

$80?! I've seen it here (many places) for around $50-60. I have heard good things about it.....hmm, maybe that might be a special treat for a road trip I'm taking in a couple days.....

If that road trip ends in Madison, bring me a bottle!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh yeah, this rum is getting better as the game is getting worse (closer).

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

One I'm looking for is Angel's Envy Rye (I have the bourbon).

This rye is finished by aging it in used Plantation XO barrels. Plantation XO is one of my favorite rums, so I'm intrigued to try this particular rye.

It's spendy though at around $80. Will probably do it though if I ever find it.
    $80?! I've seen it here (many places) for around $50-60. I have heard good things about it.....hmm, maybe that might be a special treat for a road trip I'm taking in a couple days.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

One I'm looking for is Angel's Envy Rye (I have the bourbon).

This rye is finished by aging it in used Plantation XO barrels. Plantation XO is one of my favorite rums, so I'm intrigued to try this particular rye.

It's spendy though at around $80. Will probably do it though if I ever find it.

Again, the story through the process.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

That sounds intriguing as hell - mostly coz of the process. The more I find out about different processes - mostly in rums, the more I appreciate the end result. There's a story there that you can taste.

Wish it was something other than a bourbon although I'll likely never come across it anyway.
    It honestly tastes like bourbon lite. It's more scotch-y than anything. Lacks that real full/bold flavor of a bourbon. You can taste it, but you kind of have to know what you're looking for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X