Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Didn't they get a **** ton of snow already?

Or was that Marquette?

They all look the same to me...

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Didn't they get a **** ton of snow already?

Or was that Marquette?

They all look the same to me...
      Lots of snow (as usual). KBC is a good local beer. I mean, it's a far cry from the BCS's or KBS's of the world, but it's quality. I would say Schell's/Summit or New Glarus would be a comparable brew quality.

Although, we do get KBC here, finally.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We ended up bringing 4 rums home from St. Kitts. Nothing high-end. We went with 4 bottles of the Brinley Rum that they don't distill on the island, but they process on the island (they buy a basic light rum off of a different island, and then infuse fruit flavors, or do other stuff to it, and bottle it). We got 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Mango, 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Coffee, 1 bottle of Brinley Shipwreck Spiced, and 1 bottle of Brinley White Lime. We had specific drinks on the island using each of these that we liked, so we want to try to recreate them at some point. Each bottle was $10.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I mentioned this on GPL, but not here. Jefferson's Ocean. Bourbon that is aged while sailing around the world. Hits 5 continents, crosses equator 4 times. The movement of the ship allows more contact with the barrels, and the different climates add to the taste during aging.

I had said on GPL that at $85/bottle I was curious, but not THAT curious. Well, some money came my way recently, and allowed me to become that curious.

It tastes like a non-Islay scotch and bourbon had a lovechild. It's quite delicious.
          I've heard about that stuff, the process sounded really interesting but it's nice to hear that the product turns out well too.

My local fancy beer bar is doing a bottle pouring of Founders Big Lushious and Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail Simcoe Single Hop Edition later on this week and I'm planning to hit it up with a couple of friends. Hooray beer!
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            I've heard about that stuff, the process sounded really interesting but it's nice to hear that the product turns out well too.

My local fancy beer bar is doing a bottle pouring of Founders Big Lushious and Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail Simcoe Single Hop Edition later on this week and I'm planning to hit it up with a couple of friends. Hooray beer!
            I have one bottle of the Big Lushious. I really want more, but NO ONE has it. I got lucky in that my store happened to get a couple bottles and they saved one for me, thinking I'd want it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Recent beer tries in the recent weeks

Ballantine IPA which was a nice good IPA
              Long Hammer IPA which I like a little more than the Ballantine
              Original Sin Cherry Cider not that good I think I'll stick with the Apple Ciders though I have had a pear cider or two that was good.

Went out to Syracuse for the Carrier Dome Classic and had 3 from one of the local breweries
              Late Knight IPA very good
              Wailing Wench Ale Ok both by Middle Ages brewing company.
              Empire Ale which was OK but nothing great especially with the $10 Carrier Dome price tag
              I also had the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter which was good

Home to Mom and Dad for Thanksgiving meant a trip to Davidson's Brewery in Glens Falls had the
              Irish Red OK but a little weak
              Double ESB been a long time since I had a bitter, very good
              finished with the Dacker Adirondack Ale which was OK

Last weekend they had the Christmas Beers out but no Santa's butt yet

Coney island Seas the Day IPL interesting a India Pale Lager rather than Ale good but not good as an IPA
              Abita Christmas Ale, Probably the worst Abita beer I have ever had but still okay
              Victory Winter Cheers alright Christmas Hefeweizen
              12 Dogs of Christmas OK winter warmer
              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

I have one bottle of the Big Lushious. I really want more, but NO ONE has it. I got lucky in that my store happened to get a couple bottles and they saved one for me, thinking I'd want it.
                I have three.

Very tempted to stop tomorrow to see if there are any left.
                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                  I have three.

Very tempted to stop tomorrow to see if there are any left.
                  I will buy/trade for any you wish to give up. Seriously. Abyss, Surly 8 are on the table for trade.

Comment

I will buy/trade for any you wish to give up. Seriously. Abyss, Surly 8 are on the table for trade.
                    We had some last night, not sure if there are any left though.
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      We had some last night, not sure if there are any left though.
                      I want it all.

Comment

Walked into a liquor store to see if I could get any boxes for moving, ended up buying their last 4 pack of BCS.
                        Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                        Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Stopped by Econo Foods in Houghton for tailgating beer. They had 4 bottles of Founders Big Lushious. HAD.

Comment

I didn't like the Big Lushious as much as I thought I would. Tasty, but almost too sweet and raspberry-ish.

On the other hand, liked the Molotov Cocktail more than I expected. Lots of fruit to balance the hoppiness.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Seriously... high school hockey is so fun.

Went out with the parent group tonight to one of our sponsor bar/restaurants. Actually had a couple of beers before switching to whiskey coz of course their rum selection was god-awful.

Meant to order a Crown & Coke but said CC & Coke. I saw the bartender pouring it and I'm thinking, did I say CC and I'm like dammit, I did say CC. He brought it over and I just had to live with my mistake. Ugh.

The next few rounds when I finally got my Crown (the best of the Canadians that they had) were so great... sublime almost after having to endure the CC.

Yuck. CC sucks ***.

Btw.. I'm hammered, my boy's team won and he played well.

**** yeah!
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-14-2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Went to The Library in Houghton to clsoe out the night. Classier place. Had a Woodford Double Oak to start....then I had a realization.....

Classy enough place.....not busy.....yup. Old Fashioned time. And hooooooboy. That bartender made a HELLUVA Old Fashioned. So tasty. I was very pleased.

Comment

Working...
                                X