Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

How much was the 8 year old?
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      How much was the 8 year old?

$43 for a 750. Typically the ones in that age area that I've seen max out around $25. I'm sure there are other relatively expensive ones, but I haven't bought any yet that I can recall.

I had a pour neat last night - which I wouldn't normally bother with on such a young rum.

I'll need a bit more before I decide how happy I am with the purchase.

So far, so good though.

Comment

Hit up the Autumn Brew Review yesterday with bbdl and MNS (and a bunch of GPLers were there, too). You were supposed to only get 2 oz pours, but most breweries pretty much filled your 4oz glass. Highlights:

Surly 8: really boozy. I'd buy this one, and immediately put it away and wait a year or more for it to mellow. I liked it, but man, it was intense.

Town Hall Nitro Key Lime Pie: Very tasty; wasn't sure what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Saugatuck Neapolitan Milk Stout: Again, wasn't sure what to expect, and I liked it. Very complex on the flavors. They did this one right.

Indeed Rum King: This was at the top of my list to try. Imperial stout aged in rum barrels. Very much a sipper, and absolutely delicious.

Bent Brewstillery El Guerrero Chilean Double Stout (with a ghost pepper dropped into the beer): Not as spicy as I thought it would be. It was a slow heat (similar to the Dragon's Milk w/Peppers). It was decent, and A+ for creativity on the style.

Millstream Oktoberfest: Probably the best Oktoberfest I've had. Amazing.

Tallgrass 8-Bit Cask (pale ale w/cherries; limited release): I couldn't dump this one out fast enough. Horrible.

There were many others tried, and I will definitely try to make it back next year.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Had a few interesting beers over the weekend:

Rushing Duck Part II is, if I recall what the menu said correctly, a blend of an imperial stout with two different barleywines, which was then aged in bourbon barrels. It was really great in a strong heavy beer kind of a way, but I think the point of diminishing returns was hit here - the whole thing with it being a blend probably does more for marketing than it does for the taste, which was really indistinguishable (in a good way, to be fair) from a plain old barleywine or dark ale aged the same way. Still worth a look, as are other beers from Rushing Duck if you can find them. I'd love to do a tasting at their brewery sometime, but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere up in Orange County, NY, so I'm not sure I'll get the chance.

Another good new brewery is Finback, closer to home in Queens, but their I Pumpkin A, which as you can maybe guess is an IPA with pumpkin beer flavorings, was just kinda OK. The flavor was weaker than I expected on both fronts, though maybe this was because I drank it after the Rushing Duck discussed above.

Tangentially, both of these were on tap at Saint Gambrinus Beer Shoppe, which is my absolute top suggestion for a place to get a beer before or after an event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. They've got 16 taps, all of them interesting, and also a huge wall of bottles for sale to go in the back (thus "beer shoppe").

Yesterday I brought a 750 mL bottle of Brooklyn Wild Streak to a friend's place to watch football. Belgian-style golden ale, also bourbon-barrel aged, then bottled with champagne yeast and Brett. Very tasty, and I kind of wish I'd kept it to age for longer, but I had to bring something and, as it turned out, I had almost exclusively heavy wintery beers in my fridge, which wouldn't really go with the unseasonably warm weather we had yesterday, so Wild Streak it was.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Europe's last brewmaster Nun -- we need more vocations!!
            http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...er-nun/380967/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout. Excellent.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Haha, there's a bar here in southern Manila called Chillax.

Comment

The bars I go to in NYC have been having their Octoberfest/Fallfest beers. One of them I went to yesterday had 9 pumpkin beer/ciders ughh

Had Brooklyn Breweries Oktoberfest which was good and Spaten's Oktoberfest which had it's usual excellence but they also had Kwaktoberfest. I have no idea why a Belgian brewery is making an Oktoberfest beer but it was awesome, regular Kwak is my favorite beer. I broke with tradition and had 3 of them in a row, normal bar drinking is drink up to 4 beers I haven't had seasonal, new brewery etc, then finish with an old favorite, Chimay Radburger etc.
                  Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Kwak is indeed pretty awesome.

Old Chicago had a couple Oktoberfests today. Leinie's (meh at best), Paulaner (excellent), Summit, and Schell's (both were pretty good).

Comment

I remember having Leinie's Oktoberfest at the state fair and didn't think it was bad at all.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I didn't care for Leinie's Oktoberfest when I tried it. I mean, it isn't horrible, but there are plenty of other better options I'll go to much before the Leinie's version. I really like Summit's Oktoberfest this year, and as was mentioned earlier (I think), Millstream Oktoberfest is absolutely excellent and is probably the best Oktoberfest I have tried, better than the German versions.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

He Said (both the Belgian Trippel and the Baltic Porter) by 21st Amendment is/are excellent. This year I have found a few pumpkin beers I like, and these 2 are both on that list. The best pumpkin beer I've tried was the Millstream Pumpkin Imperial Stout. That was amazingly good.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter. Not bad. Tastes like good coffee with a hint of vanilla.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Friend just called to tell me that he picked up a bottle of this years George T Stagg for me. The bad news is that I can't get it from him for about 3 weeks. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas
                              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                              Groucho Marx
                              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                              Ron White
                              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                              Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter. Not bad. Tastes like good coffee with a hint of vanilla.
                                Great beer.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X