Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

IIRC, the laws have changed for calling it a bourbon, as the 45th Parallel distillery in WI has a Border Bourbon on the shelves.

There are still laws on whether it's straight whiskey, rye whiskey, bourbon, etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[16] must be:
      Produced in the United States[17]
      Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[17]
      Aged in new, charred oak barrels[17]
      Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[17]
      Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[17]
      Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[18]
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I stand corrected. I knew at one time about the bourbon being made in Kentucky. Either way the rest of my post is correct to my knowledge.
        My Four Favorite teams:
        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Corn must make up 51% for it to be bourbon.

And for the record, the mash bill has a massive effect on taste. I don't buy for a second that the distillates will taste similar.

You alter the mash bill even a few percentage points with say the rye content, you'll get a vastly different bourbon than one with a low rye content.

Take a sip of a high barley bourbon and then compare it to a rye from the same distillery, same char number, and same age, it will be significantly less "spicy" than a high rye bourbon.

Water is another primary taste component. The various trace minerals in your water can have a moderate impact on taste.

Another component CAN be whether you use a sour mash or sweet mash. I don't think this one will impact the taste nearly as much as mash bill, oak source, char, water, size of barrel, or age, but there can be differences.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oh, and weather patterns. Those also have a big effect on the aging process. Seriously.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Oh, and weather patterns. Those also have a big effect on the aging process. Seriously.
              See: Amrut whiskey. Made in India. It's hyper-aged due to climate, and tastes like an Islay scotch, but obviously cannot be called that.

From wiki: Surinder Kumar, the master blender at Amrut Distilleries, has estimated that one year of barrel-ageing in India is equal to three years of ageing in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                See: Amrut whiskey. Made in India. It's hyper-aged due to climate, and tastes like an Islay scotch, but obviously cannot be called that.

From wiki: Surinder Kumar, the master blender at Amrut Distilleries, has estimated that one year of barrel-ageing in India is equal to three years of ageing in Scotland.
                I would like to get some Amrut.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I would like to get some Amrut.
                  They have it at a store by my house (the one by the Aldi). It's quite tasty, and not that expensive, really. I think around $40-$45?

Comment

They have it at a store by my house (the one by the Aldi). It's quite tasty, and not that expensive, really. I think around $40-$45?
                    They have it at Northgate too. I just need to figure out which bottle gets finished on the bar and not replaced. I'm thinking one of the bourbons.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      They have it at Northgate too. I just need to figure out which bottle gets finished on the bar and not replaced. I'm thinking one of the bourbons.
                      Eh, I'd get rid of the 45th Parallel Rye, although I'm not a huge fan of ryes, anyway. They're ok.

Comment

The problem is, we're already heading into bourbon season and won't be back into scotch season (unless it's a heavy double barrel scotch, but none of that Laphroaig or Lagavulin level of peat). Among the Islays, Bowmore is by far my favorite. Just finished a bottle of it. That's a scotch worth a winter sip IMHO.
                        Code:

Comment

Eh, I'd get rid of the 45th Parallel Rye, although I'm not a huge fan of ryes, anyway. They're ok.
                          I still have yet to open mine. I might give that a stab in October.
                          Code:

Comment

The problem is, we're already heading into bourbon season and won't be back into scotch season (unless it's a heavy double barrel scotch, but none of that Laphroaig or Lagavulin level of peat). Among the Islays, Bowmore is by far my favorite. Just finished a bottle of it. That's a scotch worth a winter sip IMHO.
                            The Bowmore is my favorite value Islay (or even just good scotch overall).

Comment

Value? That's a scotch that doesn't deserve that kind of label. It cheapens it by just saying it.
                              Code:

Comment

Value? That's a scotch that doesn't deserve that kind of label. It cheapens it by just saying it.
                                I look at the other Islays, and their prices...the Bowmore is a steal. That's what I meant by "value."

Edit: think Elijah Craig and their price, versus more expensive bourbons. EC is a helluva value.

Comment

Working...
                                X