Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    This will be my first sober night in a week.

I need the break. Tired.
    You and I both, my friend. Coaching hockey has definitely increased my booze intake.

I should say that I tried UV Vodka's Siracha flavor in a Bloody Mary the other day. I like to use zing zang, and it was pretty **** good.
    Last edited by MavHockey14; 01-29-2014, 11:56 PM.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Speaking of aging beer... I have 4 bottles of Bell's Expedition Stout left over... They claim that you can age this... Thinking about giving that a shot... Is that something you do at room temp? Fridge? In between? This was bottled in late Sept. 2013, so what kind of time frame am I talking before I see a difference?
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

1. Same question as above, under what conditions do you age a beer?
        2. What does aging do to a beer?
        3. Is there a curve that aging follows? After six months there's no change, 12 months you've hit the peak of aging, 18 months and you've ruined it?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Speaking of aging beer... I have 4 bottles of Bell's Expedition Stout left over... They claim that you can age this... Thinking about giving that a shot... Is that something you do at room temp? Fridge? In between? This was bottled in late Sept. 2013, so what kind of time frame am I talking before I see a difference?
          Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          1. Same question as above, under what conditions do you age a beer?
          2. What does aging do to a beer?
          3. Is there a curve that aging follows? After six months there's no change, 12 months you've hit the peak of aging, 18 months and you've ruined it?
          It really depends on the alcohol content. Most beers are best when fresh, but some of your higher alcohol content beers (imperial stouts, barleywines, strong IPAs, etc) can "benefit" from aging. Aging time and temp again depend upon the alcohol content. Generally, refrigerator is too cold, room temp probably too warm. The higher the alcohol content, the longer and "warmer" you can age it.

My advice on aging - buy a few bottles, store them some place cool (basement?), and pop one every 3-4 months to see how it is. I had a Dogfish Head 120 minute that was a completely different beer after being aged for a year - way more mellow. Sam Adams Utopias (if you can find/afford it) is another one that ages well...mine aged because I couldn't bear the thought of it being completely gone. There is a curve though - let it go too long and pfft. In the end it's beer, not rocket science. Drink it when you think it tastes good

Comment

My one serious beer snob friend ages his in a wine fridge. As DisplacedCornellian said, cooler than room temp but warmer than a regular refrigerator. Also, don't age beer with a cap (as opposed to a cork) on its side.

Oh man, now I want a beer.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Ideally, you need a corner of the basement - dark, and cooler than the rest of the house. If that's not possible, a pantry or cabinet where the door is usually closed will suffice for beers at the high end of the ABV spectrum. I would probably never try to rest a beer with less than 8% ABV, as that's asking for spoilage/infection. It's also rare that I would rest a beer for more than a year, as they tend to get very flat. So as Cornellian said, stick to the strongest beer styles, and try to get a few bottles so that you can sample one every few months.

Comment

Just had a thought. Neapolitan Milk Stout float with strawberry ice cream (or maybe just vanilla) and dark chocolate syrup. It sounds delicious. I'm not sure the execution would be equal to my idea.

Comment

Man, I want a beer. Or a glass of wine. Or something. It's 3:40 on Friday and I'm ready for it to be 5:01.

Do I have a drinking problem?
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    Man, I want a beer. Or a glass of wine. Or something. It's 3:40 on Friday and I'm ready for it to be 5:01.

Do I have a drinking problem?
                    Well, yeah, it sounds like you do. You want a drink, and you don't have one, that is definitely a problem.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yahara Bay light rum and dragonfruit mango juice. Just about to whip up some blackened cobia fish tacos.

Almost feel like I'm on a beach... almost.

Comment

Summit Frost Line Rye. Me likey.

Comment

Gonna be enjoying Lienie's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter tonight... Kinda appropriate with Snowmageddon coming overnight/tomorrow
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Paulaner Octoberfest Weisn. Such a good "normal" beer. That, and I only have "saved" beers in the fridge for other beer.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Long time listener. First time caller here.

I'm not much of a drinker these days. More of a social one if anything. Not a big fan of beer. Definitely a whiskey, bourbon or scotch kinda guy. My all time favorite adult beverage is Crown Royal. Through various channels I have slowly amassed quite neat little stockpile of beverages. Tonight's drink? Pappy Van Winkle's 23-Year-Old. One word.......awesome.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                                Long time listener. First time caller here.

I'm not much of a drinker these days. More of a social one if anything. Not a big fan of beer. Definitely a whiskey, bourbon or scotch kinda guy. My all time favorite adult beverage is Crown Royal. Through various channels I have slowly amassed quite neat little stockpile of beverages. Tonight's drink? Pappy Van Winkle's 23-Year-Old. One word.......awesome.
                                Again, I hate you.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X