Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

If you like whisky, there's an event for you in Manhattan's Chelsea Piers next Wednesday, April 9.

Whisky Live is the international celebration of whisky, bringing all the whiskies of the world together under one roof. Whisky Live prides itself on bringing together the finest whiskies, great food and a range of education and entertainment to make learning about whisky both fun and stimulating. Whether you are a whisky enthusiast an uninitiated newcomer or just looking for a day out that offers you something different Whisky Live has something for everyone

Whisky Live gives you the unique opportunity to sample the greatest whiskies in the world, whilst mingling with the producers and distillers, marketers and visitor centre staff, all under one roof. In addition to learning about the world of whisky, you will be able to sample rare and sought-after whiskies and meet the stars of the industry.

Each event has its own local flavour and provides the greatest insight into this greatest of spirits. With great food, masterclasses and much more, Whisky Live is a great day out and a memorable experience.

They also have an event in San Francisco Aug 30-31 and in Los Angeles Nov 7.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

I recently began to review beers on my Facebook page but after some prodding from friends I started a blog. Mostly review beers that are from the pacific northwest since I live in Idaho. If you want you can check it out at intothebeeruniverse.wordpress.com. Id say I'm amateur still. If you want to review one and send me a review let me know via a message here and I can send you an email address to send reviews/pictures to.

Comment

Anybody in the drinking thread planning to be at the Frozen Four? I have a few bar recommendations courtesy of my beer snob friend who lives in Philly.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Anybody in the drinking thread planning to be at the Frozen Four? I have a few bar recommendations courtesy of my beer snob friend who lives in Philly.
          Share away.
          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

• Originally posted by melmac View Post
            Share away.
            This. USCHO drinking get togethers... what could go wrong?!

Comment

OK, so thus far the three places on my "to try" list are:

Monk's Cafe, a beer-focused bar with a fantastic selection of taps and bottles focused on (but not limited to) Belgian beer

Frankling Mortgage & Investment Co., a James Beard Award-nominated cocktail bar with a faux-speakeasy style

Farmer's Cabinet, sort of a midpoint between the first two with a diverse bottle list, good cocktails, a charcuterie program and a full menu (that I've been told is a bit overpriced)

These are in the Center City area, because that's where my group is staying so that's what I've focused on thus far; I'm looking into whether there's anything worthwhile in the immediate area of the Wells Fargo Center (I think there isn't much) or, failing that, along the Broad Street Line between Center City and the stadium megaplex.

And, from what I've read, the "Citywide Special", $3 for a PBR and a shot of Jim Beam, can be found at many dive bars around the city. (For those from the midwest, that qualifies as cheap here in the northeast.)
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                And, from what I've read, the "Citywide Special", $3 for a PBR and a shot of Jim Beam, can be found at many dive bars around the city. (For those from the midwest, that qualifies as cheap here in the northeast.)
                Contrary to popular belief, that also qualifies as cheap in much of the Midwest these days.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Contrary to popular belief, that also qualifies as cheap in much of the Midwest these days.
                  At the local bar in Delano (about 20 minutes west of the 494/694 loop of the Twin Cities), one can enjoy a 25oz Surly for $3.50; that's a darn good deal.

Anyway, it's KBS week for the stores around town. Good luck to those not on lists/those who don't have an "in" with a store.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Anyway, it's KBS week for the stores around town. Good luck to those not on lists/those who don't have an "in" with a store.
                    local store tweeted yesterday that they had it - gone within a few hours.

Comment

I'll have to go look for that at my local beer store after work tonight. And regardless of how it turns out, it's a nice reminder to enjoy that Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast I've been hanging on to.

Comment

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut Down Ale:

Bought a sixer. When I first smelled the beer, I was very angry, as it smelled like ALLTHEHOPS/ALLTHEBITTER. It's actually really smooth. Not that I'd have more than one, mayyyybe two, in a sitting, because it still wants to be ALLTHEHOPS, but I thoroughly am enjoying sipping on it.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut Down Ale:

Bought a sixer. When I first smelled the beer, I was very angry, as it smelled like ALLTHEHOPS/ALLTHEBITTER. It's actually really smooth. Not that I'd have more than one, mayyyybe two, in a sitting, because it still wants to be ALLTHEHOPS, but I thoroughly am enjoying sipping on it.
                          Yeah, it's kinda like Arrogant Bastard. Wants to be a hoppy beer, but not quite.

Comment

Picked up a couple of new rums today.

Clement - V.S.O.P. (Martinique)

Flora de Cana - Gran Reserva 7yo (Nicaragua)

Both were quite nice although I give the nod to the Flora de Cana.

Now having the Mount Gay Black Barrel.

Another nice Wednesday Rum Day Fun Day and I just might make it to Friday now.

Also bought my first ever bottle of Jack. Have a friend coming over for the hoops game on Saturday and that's his preference, so I picked it up.

Oh yeah, also grabbed the Flora de Cana Extra Dry light rum but won't get to that tonight as that will most likely be used with fruit juice or in blended drinks. Don't care for light rum with Coke other than maybe Cruzan which is actually pretty sweet (somewhere between a light rum and a gold rum in taste).
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Yeah, it's kinda like Arrogant Bastard. Wants to be a hoppy beer, but not quite.
                              Do not want Stone. Ever again. Blech.

Comment

I will agree that Stone is typically ALLTHEHOPS. Doesn't bother me, but yeah...

However, I have a good story from a Tech prof about their marketing when they were first starting out.

Comment

Working...
                                X