Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Lagunitas PILS. Not a bad representation of the style. My enjoyment improved as I sipped more and it was solid accompaniment for a slice of pizza.

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale. Limited edition and wished now I bought 2 packs because it's wonderful. A little pine and citrus and doesn't drink overly heavy despite being 9.7%. Really well balanced - not overly sweet nor bitter. Highly recommend.

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Bulleit. I remember when this was $3-4/bottle cheaper. *sigh*

Felt a little college nostalgia and bought a 375 of Rumple Minze. I also do this with Jager from time to time. Hate to say, I probably should've been born...in Wisconsin? *vomits*

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Bulleit. I remember when this was $3-4/bottle cheaper. *sigh*

Felt a little college nostalgia and bought a 375 of Rumple Minze. I also do this with Jager from time to time. Hate to say, I probably should've been born...in Wisconsin? *vomits*
        I never did Rumple coz I hate mint, but I drank enough Jager back in the day that I can get the willies just thinking about it.

-shudder-

For some reason I remember us thinking that drinking it through a straw was the proper method. Should have been awarded stock in both Jager and Captain back in the early 90s. Now they both taste like college.

-SHUDDER-

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          I never did Rumple coz I hate mint, but I drank enough Jager back in the day that I can get the willies just thinking about it.

-shudder-

For some reason I remember us thinking that drinking it through a straw was the proper method. Should have been awarded stock in both Jager and Captain back in the early 90s. Now they both taste like college.

-SHUDDER-
          rumpies! still a classic for the college kids.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

-shudder-

-SHUDDER-
            I love mint, which probably explains both. Though, I never did accept cheap American substitutes like Dr. McGillicuddy's. Thus proving I've always been a snob, I guess.

Comment

I don't mind Rumplemintz, if it's from the freezer, as a sort of "dinner mint" sorta thing. Like if you decide to pre-game before going to the bar, and need to freshen your breath.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Went to a nice little pub tonight and had a Left Hand Milk Stout. Out of all the stouts I've had, I like that and Young's Double Chocolate Stout the best.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Went to a nice little pub tonight and had a Left Hand Milk Stout. Out of all the stouts I've had, I like that and Young's Double Chocolate Stout the best.
                  Try the Nitro version of the Left Hand. It's amazing.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I don't mind Rumplemintz, if it's from the freezer, as a sort of "dinner mint" sorta thing. Like if you decide to pre-game before going to the bar, and need to freshen your breath.
                    Bingo. I do this with the Doctor every once and a while.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Bingo. I do this with the Doctor every once and a while.
                      The Doctor....forgot about that guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Try the Nitro version of the Left Hand. It's amazing.
                        This. 5.5 more days until that delicious beverage graces my lips once again.

Comment

Found 1 bottle of Bell's Black Note Stout. Have looked for more, with no luck. I think I'm lucky to just get one.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Found 1 bottle of Bell's Black Note Stout. Have looked for more, with no luck. I think I'm lucky to just get one.
                            I haven't seen it at all, and I know BPH was looking for it, with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale. Limited edition and wished now I bought 2 packs because it's wonderful. A little pine and citrus and doesn't drink overly heavy despite being 9.7%. Really well balanced - not overly sweet nor bitter. Highly recommend.
                              Had some this weekend too, very good indeed. Dangerous beer that doesn't drink 9.7% at all.
                              Old Monster Records

Comment

Had some beer adventures this past weekend. Friday evening, the wife and I went to a tasting at Big Alice Brewing, a self-labeled "nano-brewery" that I had come across while looking for beer places in Queens to recommend to BBDL while he was here (but didn't recommend it to him because they're only open on Fridays). They have a rather atypical business model; they brew a single 1/3-barrel batch of of a given beer (~45 750 mL bottles, thus nano-brewery) and then don't repeat the same beer, so everything they produce is a very limited run. As a result, when we got to their tasting room, we found out that, when they open each week, they only make one beer available for free sampling (so as not to deplete their stock). We got a complimentary pour of their Pepper and Salt Table Beer (table beer as a play on table wine because it's made with a mix of malts; pepper and salt because it's literally made with a bit of pepper and salt). We paid for a tasting of another beer (smoked wheat beer with oranges), and when we shared some of it with a few other guys who were there, they reciprocated and shared their sour imperial stout with us. Everything we had was really tasty, if a bit off the wall in a "homebrewers gone wild" sort of way. We picked up another couple of bottles to take home, a barleywine aged in yellow birch and a saison flavored with elderflower. Looking forward to cracking into both of those.

Saturday night around dinnertime, we realized we had to cook something to bring to my mother-in-law's house tomorrow, so we decided to head to the newly-opened Brooklyn Whole Foods, which has a rooftop bar/cafe, and kill two birds with one stone. (Yes, we know. We went to the grocery store on Saturday night. We're old and lame.) One of the beers on the chalkboard was Great South Bay's Lethal Cupcake. With a name like that I had to ask about it, and it was described as an imperial chocolate porter. When I (naturally) ordered one, the bartender asked if I wanted whipped cream on it. I thought maybe she was joking, but she pointed to a guy down the bar who was drinking one that way, so I figured why not? Well, it turns out that Lethal Cupcake topped with whipped cream is like drinking a dark chocolate cupcake that, at 9% ABV, will get you drunk. In the words of a great fictional teenager, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X