ROKU??? - what is this? help mookie out, please :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROKU??? - what is this? help mookie out, please

I am a proponent of Roku over its competitors because it is agnostic to services - you can get anything that isn't Apple. It has a "cast" function that is comparable to Chromecast, and a decent smartphone app that allows you to throw your local videos up. The Roku 3 is a great piece of hardware. The 2 has some issues crashing, though.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      My love of sports (and a potentially significant set of incentives from ATT) are likely to keep me in the ****hole world of cable for at least another year, but I'm going to be keeping this stuff in mind. As soon as there are more options (besides watchESPN) for watching sports, particularly Badger hockey, I'm leaving cable and never coming back.
      I watch about 4 TV shows (none are network), the rest is sports. Sure, I might randomly watch some other semi-crappy/semi-good shows, but only because I want something in the background. I also have Netflix Streaming and Netflix One Disc plans.

That being said, I did a cost-analysis of cable (with sports package, but no HBO or anything)

vs.

Buying eps of my shows the day after they premiere (via Amazon) AND going out for every Gopher hockey game for 2 beers and a burger (I already go to Old Chicago for noon NFL games every Sunday, that cost was not entered into this).

For the college hockey season, I'd save about $400 or so. That's just for the season. Off-season, I'd save even more (and 3 of my shows' series finales are this upcoming season).

Needless to say, my decision was easy. Bye-bye cable.

After about 2 months cable-less, I don't even miss it one bit.
      Last edited by The Rube; 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

After about 2 months cable-less, I don't even miss it one bit.
        Yup...cable tv and Dish is a huge scam and there are ways (both legal and illegal) to get everything you want anyways at cheaper prices. I mean I didnt have cable but streamed Gopher hockey in Seattle to my laptop multiple times.

And if you know someone with cable you can have access to everything anyways with an email address as well
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

OK, we've pretty much settled on the roku after giving Chromecast a trial over the weekend. There was a bit too much buffering while streaming Draft Day from my tablet (good movie by the way).

The other issue with Chromecast is that it doesn't support NHL Game Center Live. That leads to another question -- does game center give you both home and away games for each team, or just home broadcasts? Trying to decide on dumping Center Ice to be able to watch on other than our TV
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            OK, we've pretty much settled on the roku after giving Chromecast a trial over the weekend. There was a bit too much buffering while streaming Draft Day from my tablet (good movie by the way).

The other issue with Chromecast is that it doesn't support NHL Game Center Live. That leads to another question -- does game center give you both home and away games for each team, or just home broadcasts? Trying to decide on dumping Center Ice to be able to watch on other than our TV
            Home and road. Leafs broadcast team or Islanders? Always go Canadian is my rule.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Home and road, but with the usual blackout restrictions.

Comment

As pointed out, you get both feeds (and all in HD!) on Game center Live.

But, the blackouts are kind of ridiculous. If you are in the teams designated market (judged by Zip Code) or if the game is on NBC, NBCSN, or the NHL Network you are blacked out from watching that game (or it's replay) for 48 hours.

Also, GCL is one sometimes two minutes behind Live. So try not to refresh Twitter too often.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

But, the blackouts are kind of ridiculous. If you are in the teams designated market (judged by Zip Code) or if the game is on NBC, NBCSN, or the NHL Network you are blacked out from watching that game (or it's replay) for 48 hours.

Also, GCL is one sometimes two minutes behind Live. So try not to refresh Twitter too often.
                  Thanks for the info guys. We're three hours from Pittsburgh but still in the Pens' market. And I rarely refresh Twitter when I'm watching a game. Learned my lesson during Game 7 of Leafs-Bruins while we were in Arizona.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. We're three hours from Pittsburgh but still in the Pens' market. And I rarely refresh Twitter when I'm watching a game. Learned my lesson during Game 7 of Leafs-Bruins while we were in Arizona.
                    Along with the Leaf's defense?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Along with the Leaf's defense?
                      We were at my in-laws on vacay. We recorded the game on NBC while we went out to dinner. Turned off the phone when a buddy tweeted me asking if I saw what was happening. When we got home I watched the game and the recording stopped with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd (IIRC just after the Bruins narrowed the lead to 3).

I sat on the couch for about 10 minutes before I turned on my phone and saw what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Watched the TSN Leafs/Avs game tonight. The picture quality was less than HD until the third period when the feed " buffered" several times and then the quality was much clearer. We have 6mb download speed, but wonder if using an Ethernet connection rather than Wi-Fi would help.

The commercials were blacked out (good) but so were the intermissions (not good). Not so when we switched over to the Altitude feed. I wonder if that has something to do with the Rogers deal?

And I need to turn off my notifications. You're right about the delay.

Comment

Watched the TSN Leafs/Avs game tonight. The picture quality was less than HD until the third period when the feed " buffered" several times and then the quality was much clearer. We have 6mb download speed, but wonder if using an Ethernet connection rather than Wi-Fi would help.

The commercials were blacked out (good) but so were the intermissions (not good). Not so when we switched over to the Altitude feed. I wonder if that has something to do with the Rogers deal?

And I need to turn off my notifications. You're right about the delay.
                          Ethernet would help, especially if you have other devices on the wi-fi. I've noticed sometimes that backing out of the game, and re-selecting the game helps re-buffer to better quality. I've been impressed this year as the games so far haven't dropped to a lower quality as often. Then again, I have Comcast's Blast! package and get 25+ mbps. The feed has been equivalent to watching regular Comcast HD broadcasts.

I'm also sure that some more "popular" games have heavier draws on NHL's streaming servers, causing some games to have more issues than others.

Commercial/intermission blackouts are hit and miss. Fox Sports games aren't, TSN's are, Sportsnet's is hit and miss. Don't think it's related to the Rogers deal as it was the same way last year.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Watching Leafs and Wings using an Ethernet connection with no change in video quality. Very disappointing for what we're paying.

Comment

Working...
                            X