Annoying pet problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying pet problems

Mrs EoDS and I have two dogs: a smooth coated collie and a shepherd/hound mix. The collie has all sorts of odd behaviors, but she's a story for another day.

The hound was naturally always a little whiny, but has become increasingly whiny, to the point where if we let them both outside she will stand by the door and whine until we let her in. She's 6 years old, only whines (as far as I know) when we're within eyesight of the door, and it's getting pretty old. How do I deal with this?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Re: Annoying pet problems

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    The hound was naturally always a little whiny, but has become increasingly whiny, to the point where if we let them both outside she will stand by the door and whine until we let her in. She's 6 years old, only whines (as far as I know) when we're within eyesight of the door, and it's getting pretty old. How do I deal with this?
    Oy! My family had a pure beagle that whined to be let in and out almost all of the time - she'd scratch the door on both sides. She made it until almost 14 years old, before we had to put her down.

Though I'm not a vet, my family has been through two dogs in my lifetime, and there are a lot of classic "getting old/have disorders or cancer" stages with dogs - does your dog constantly drink water and never seem to quench its thirst? Does he/she sleep most of the daylight hours? When awake, is he/she seriously agitated/restless?

There's also the whole "separation anxiety" theory with dogs, which could more likely be your problem.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Re: Annoying pet problems

No on the thirst and agitation.

She's pretty spry, but she's also not 2 anymore. Not lethargic, but she certainly does get cozy and curl up a lot in the evening.

I have thought of anxiety, but she's normally pretty level headed and we used to be able to leave her in the yard for longer periods of time. Plus, her "I've been abandoned" behavior has traditionally involved howling.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
      X