This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Saw Selma - loved it. David Oyelowo was excellent. Go see it if you're at all interested in the topic. I read the movie did not have the rights to King's speeches because Spielberg has them for an unnamed project. Would LOVE to see that when/if it's done.

Comment

I saw The Edge of Tomorrow yesterday. It's an action movie that's not taking itself too seriously, though it's not the feel of Guardians of the Galaxy by any means. The basic premise is that an alien race called the "Mimic" have invaded Earth, starting in the Eurasian land mass, and now Earth is on the cusp of a major assault to be launched from England into France. (It might as well be the Allies fighting the Axis, but that's aside the point.) Every time Tom Cruise dies, he gets sent back in time to the day prior to the invasion until he can finally get the day right to move time forward. So it's an action movie version of Groundhog's Day.

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, but he's enjoyable in this one, which isn't always the case. Emily Blunt pulls off the No BS Lady fairly well. Once little bits of info are meted out here and there throughout the movie, the ending can be seen coming very simply. There's a big plot hole that's used to add tension to the climax, because they tell you earlier in the show how to get around that problem.

Despite its flaws, it's a solid popcorn flick and I'd watch it again.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Flypaper:
        Two separate groups of robbers happen to rob the same bank at the same time. I expected high drama, got half-whodunnit half-comedy. Still worked for me. Definitely off-the-wall yet intriguing. I'd watch it again, for sure. Might even buy.

Arbitrage:
        Cliched movie about super-businessman who's all corrupt and something throws a wrench into his plans. That being said, the actors did a tremendous job on what schlock they had to work with.

The Ledge:
        Guy is on a ledge, about to jump. Cop tries to talk him down. The backstories of each of the characters are the main plot of the movie. Tremendous writing and story, but HORSESH* acting. The exact opposite of Arbitrage. I wanted to kill Liv Tyler myself she was so bad. And Charlie Hunnam of SOA fame? He's typecast. Same snarky character in this movie. I think he'd be a great "That Guy," but he's really trying not to be, and it's not working.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I saw The Edge of Tomorrow yesterday....it's an action movie version of Groundhog's Day.

Despite its flaws, it's a solid popcorn flick and I'd watch it again.
          For some reason, from watching the trailer, I thought it was about a person trapped inside a video game. Haven't seen it, but it seemed like he "died" whenever the gamer who controlled his character messed up, then he would re-spawn and they'd play the same level until the gamer got it right.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            For some reason, from watching the trailer, I thought it was about a person trapped inside a video game. Haven't seen it, but it seemed like he "died" whenever the gamer who controlled his character messed up, then he would re-spawn and they'd play the same level until the gamer got it right.
            No, there's nothing in the movie about playing videogames. There's a brief reference to a card game being played, but no videogames.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Bettie Page Reveals All

I saw the (unauthorized) The Notorious Bettie Page a while back, thought it was decent for a biopic (accepting liberties that happen with Hollywood movies). This one was authorized and mostly narrated by Bettie Page, and loved it. It didn't romanticize her by any means, there was some harsh stuff in there. Definitely recommend. And for you youngsters (heck even I'M a youngster for her era), she is what pure sexuality is all about. Smart, curvy, sexy. She had the "it" factor.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
              X