X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I thought his take on Star Trek was outstanding and hope these Star Wars films are as enjoyable.

They certainly can't be worse than the prequels.

Regarding Serkis... Jar Jar strikes more terror in me than Ewoks ever could although both are HORRIBLE.
    The first Star Trek reboot = good.
    The second one = crap.

JJ Abrams is hit or miss, with more misses than hits. I think he's good at certain things, but has no farking clue what to do once the inherent hooks to capture the audience are used up (such as reintroducing us to characters, establishing the new world, etc.) and he needs to actually use dramatic elements to create new ones.

In other words, I may have some hope for Episode VII, but if he remains on board for the sequels, they'll probably be steaming piles of crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      The first Star Trek reboot = good.
      The second one = crap.

JJ Abrams is hit or miss, with more misses than hits. I think he's good at certain things, but has no farking clue what to do once the inherent hooks to capture the audience are used up (such as reintroducing us to characters, establishing the new world, etc.) and he needs to actually use dramatic elements to create new ones.

In other words, I may have some hope for Episode VII, but if he remains on board for the sequels, they'll probably be steaming piles of crap.
      I thought the first Star Trek was Star Trek in name only. The action was cool but in reality the movie was lame and nothing like what Star Trek was ever previously. It was like he made Star Wars with Star Trek characters.

I dont trust Abrams at all and I feel the movie will be all action and no substance which we get enough of already. The fans will get cool explosions and overdone lightsaber battles (instead of the very quick and dirty ones from the original trilogy) and of course get to see the original cast!!1!!!1

I honestly think it is going to be Hobbit level "meh".
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I disagree with the take that the new Star Treks are all action and no substance - I won't dispute the notion that these are not "Star Trek" movies as I've never been a Trekkie and wouldn't know. I have enough knowledge to get many of the references and winks that are happening, but not enough to be constrained by canon or feel.

To me, in an era of special effects laden blockbusters with no heart and no character development, it's hard for me to like any of these type of movies. What's always key to me is whether I connect with the characters.

I LOVED these two Star Trek movies because of the chemistry that you could feel amongst the characters. It really had little to do with the Star Trek story. Could have put theses actors in a different Sci-fi universe and it still would/could have been a heck of a lot of fun.

It comes down to whether I was entertained and with these movies, I was thoroughly entertained. I laughed (a lot), I enjoyed the heart that was developed amongst the characters and there was plenty of eye-candy in terms of effects. They were perfect summer popcorn flicks and the fact that they were in a universe that is part of American pop culture was a bonus - Trekkies excluded.

The other side of the coin (imo) is Pacific Rim. Could have been a cool movie but sorely lacked in character development although Del Toro's action movies tend to be like that... almost good. The Hellboy movies come to mind. Good-ish movies, but almost really good movies.

Of course the second Hobbit movie is quite possibly the worst movie of this type ever made, which is funny coz it really should never have been "this type" of movie. Like I posted on Peter Jackson's Facebook page... "Even Michael Bay is embarrassed for you." Not that multi-millionaire PJ cares what I think, but I felt better.

Hoping Godzilla is good, but not holding my breath.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Good job, Sony. Way to screw up the Green Goblin for the 3rd time. Second greatest comic book villian of all time and you can't get it right?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

No. About an ad exec employed with coming up with a campaign to oust Pinochet via election in Chile. Very well done, I loved the cinematic style used to really make you feel like it was 1988 all over again.

American Hustle. Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I thought there were more acting performances that shined and for me it was a better overall movie than Dallas Buyers Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              American Hustle. Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I thought there were more acting performances that shined and for me it was a better overall movie than Dallas Buyers Club.
              Because there were more essential characters, duh.

Just watched that tonight. I'd take Leto's performance overall, but then the rest go to AH's cast. And the movie was slightly better also, IMO. Really enjoyed it, and definitely worth a watch.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

While AH had a few more essential parts, Garner and Zahn had plenty of screen time. But neither were that memorable and I think it hurt overall. Leto and MM though were obviously exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  While AH had a few more essential parts, none of the secondary parts in DBC - even if relatively lacking time on screen such as Garner and Zaha - were that memorable and I think it hurt overall. Leto and MM though were obviously exceptional.
                  Yeah, DBC was a two-man show, really. AH, just like the cons they did, needed to be multi-layered and have multiple characters. About my only complaint about AH, was there were shots that were a little too artsy/stylized (oooo an odd camera angle showing a car door closing) or unneeded. Probably could have cut the movie by about 10-15 minutes, but that is total nit-picking.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Good job, Sony. Way to screw up the Green Goblin for the 3rd time. Second greatest comic book villian of all time and you can't get it right?
                    I kinda liked Willem Dafoe as Goblin but havent wasted a penny on the new Spidey movies. what I have read about this one doesnt make me wish to change that

Gurt,

I would have liked Star Trek more if it was anything but Star Trek. I thought the characters were fine except not as replacements for those same characters in a different set of TV/Movies. I just dont see Simon Pegg as Scotty or the leader of the Rohirrim as Bones. It just doesnt work. Put them in another film and yes they can shine, in that movie all I think is "That isnt Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner" and their lame, half assed impressions of them didnt help. (and I am not a Trekkie either, I always preferred Star Wars but I watched enough Trek to not respect Abrams or how he tried to turn Trek into Star Wars)

I enjoyed Pacific Rim for what it was...I didnt expect any character growth I expected a cliche story with big robots fighting big monsters.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I kinda liked Willem Dafoe as Goblin but havent wasted a penny on the new Spidey movies. what I have read about this one doesnt make me wish to change that
                      It was a mechanical suit. If Spiderman doesn't require a mechanical suit then why does the Green Goblin? It ruins the character.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        It was a mechanical suit. If Spiderman doesn't require a mechanical suit then why does the Green Goblin? It ruins the character.
                        Cause he wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider which gave him superpowers, but was the head of a corporation that developed weapons and other gizmos.

Why did Iron Man need a mechanical suit? Well, other than to keep him alive.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Cause he wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider which gave him superpowers, but was the head of a corporation that developed weapons and other gizmos.

Sure but the original Green Goblin got his powers from the "Goblin Formula" not an ironman type suit. The glider was his technological tool, not his suit.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Do you know the origin of the Green Goblin? No, you don't. So why pipe up?

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Do you know the origin of the Green Goblin? No, you don't. So why pipe up?
                                The movie is not the comic book. Changes will happen. Sometimes you will like the changes, other times you won't. Why get so wound up? I've not seen the new movie, but it sounds like they changed it to this suit. If that's the case, then they're probably trying to play off the younger generation's closer affinity to technological solutions to life's problems in the real world. The change is hardly shocking.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X