This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Was watching TCM this afternoon. Apparently 1939 was like 1994, a really loaded year for movies - Gone With the Wind, Wuthering Heights, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Wizard of Oz, etc. TCM was running all of the Oscar-nominated films from 1939.

Ended up seeing Wuthering Heights; JFC what an obnoxious story. I wanted to shoot the chick for being a chick and marrying money, but I really wanted to shoot the guy for continually playing her games. I now totally understand why women seem to love it.

Comment

Last night I went to see the oscar nominated short films. This was the first night they were out and I go every year. There were 5 this year and the Finnish one was hilarious!.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Don Jon

I expected it to be a decent movie, and it was better than expected. Definitely worth a watch.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Don Jon

I expected it to be a decent movie, and it was better than expected. Definitely worth a watch.
          Walked out of this one 20 minutes in. Worst. Movie. In. Years.

Comment

Damm, but the ending of Dead Poets Society never fails to bring a tear to the old eye.

"Oh Captain, my Captain!!"
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Seeing that apple commercial made me realize I need to see that movie again.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We were going to see Monuments Men last night, until we read a bunch of tepid reviews. So we opted for Jack Ryan. I've read every one of Clancy's novels and obviously the timeline for the movie is way off. Having said that, it was an OK action flick with a lot of holes. We gave it one large popcorn bag.

Just finished reading Lone Survivor, so we plan to see that next weekend.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                  We were going to see Monuments Men last night, until we read a bunch of tepid reviews. So we opted for Jack Ryan. I've read every one of Clancy's novels and obviously the timeline for the movie is way off. Having said that, it was an OK action flick with a lot of holes. We gave it one large popcorn bag.

Just finished reading Lone Survivor, so we plan to see that next weekend.
                  The reviews I've heard/seen for MM are all over the board. I'll check it out on video.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Seeing that apple commercial made me realize I need to see that movie again.
                    Haven't seen it in ages, but it was on when i got home yesterday, and I just couldn't turn the channel. Noticed some stuff in Robin William'
                    s performance that I had never really paid attention to before. When he's talking to Neil, and Neil says he spoke with his father, and he can do the play, and might be able to keep on with the acting, after he leaves, there's a slight look of sadness on William's face where you can see he knows that Neil was lying, a sort of sad, wistful expression. And during the final scene, when he turns and see's that it's shy, quiet Todd who was up on his desk, calling out to him, there's a look bordering somewhere between surprise, amazement, and then almost pride, that this kid would do something that had been unheard of for him to do just a few months earlier.

Really great piece of acting for someone who didn't make his name as a dramatic actor.

Just a great, great movie. I may have to pick this up on DVD.
                    Last edited by rufus; 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      Haven't seen it in ages, but it was on when i got home yesterday, and I just couldn't turn the channel. Noticed some stuff in Robin William'
                      s performance that I had never really paid attention to before. When he's talking to Neil, and Neil says he spoke with his father, and he can do the play, and might be able to keep on with the acting, after he leaves, there's a slight look of sadness on William's face where you can see he knows that Neil was lying, a sort of sad, wistful expression. And during the final scene, when he turns and see's that it's shy, quiet Todd who was up on his desk, calling out to him, there's a look bordering somewhere between surprise, amazement, and then almost pride, that this kid would do something that had been unheard of for him to do just a few months earlier.

Really great piece of acting for someone who didn't make his name as a dramatic actor.

Agreed on the quality of that movie. Loved it. As for Robin Williams and dramatic/serious roles, Insomnia and One Hour Photo were great. If you haven't checked those out, I definitely recommend them.

Comment

• took the 3 young'uns to see lego movie. ****ing stupid. should have dropped them off and slept in the car.

Damm, but the ending of Dead Poets Society never fails to bring a tear to the old eye.

"Oh Captain, my Captain!!"
                        very good movie, yes.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          took the 3 young'uns to see lego movie. ****ing stupid. should have dropped them off and slept in the car.
                          The lego movie was great. I had low expectations going in (hadn't even seen a trailer). The 5 year old really wanted to see it. I admit I enjoyed the movie.
                          Last edited by BassAle; 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            The lego movie was great. I had low expectations going in (hadn't even seen a trailer). The 5 year old really wanted to see it. I admit I enjoyed the movie.
                            They've had a Lego TV show on one of the cartoon stations. My buddy's kids watch it a lot. It's all silly humor, but if you know the context of some of the stuff, it can be mildly entertaining for adults, too.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              They've had a Lego TV show on one of the cartoon stations. My buddy's kids watch it a lot. It's all silly humor, but if you know the context of some of the stuff, it can be mildly entertaining for adults, too.
                              It definitely spoofed the Matrix and had other humor that went over my kids head.

Comment

I have watched that movie a dozen times, and it never gets old. Robin Williams was spot on. The scene where he gets Ethan Hawke to ad lib a poem on Whitman in front of the class always takes my breathe away.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X