X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Avatar 6 - The Search for More Money!
    Avatar 7 - Just a collection of film we had left over after the cuts from the previous 6 that we've strung together into another money churning blockbuster.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Avatar 7 - Just a collection of film we had left over after the cuts from the previous 6 that we've strung together into another money churning blockbuster.
      But how many suicides will result from it?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        But how many suicides will result from it?
        I can't speak to the quantity, but it'll only be the ones society sorely needs.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
          You could say that about a host of remakes that should have never been made. I haven't seen the remake, but there was no way Bridges could replace The Duke.

As for the modern oaters, my benchmark is Silverado. Love this reviewer's comment on Rotten Tomatoes:
          ****, I thought I read that this movie was on netflix streaming...got all excited to watch a "benchmark western" boo.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

You've never seen Silverado? Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn, and a young Kevin Costner, who was given the part by Kasden to make up for having his scenes cut out of The Big Chill, and then supporting roles by John Cleese, James Gammon, Brian Dennehy, Jeff Fahey and more. It probably is, more than any other film, responsible for the rebirth of the western in modern cinema.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Not much for watching TV series on Netflix, but I like watching Once Upon A Time, just to see Lana Parilla. She hot.

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
                Not much for watching TV series on Netflix, but I like watching Once Upon A Time, just to see Lana Parilla. She hot.
                Not so much in Storybrook, but when she's all done up in the evil queen's lace and leather..........................meow.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I saw the movie, " Last train to Lisbon" yesterday. Not as good as the book, which was a big best seller.. I liked the movie, but you really have to pay attention or you miss things and get left behind. Still, I like movies that make you think.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                    You could say that about a host of remakes that should have never been made.
                    I saw trailers for a remake of Robocop What is the point? why not simply re-release the original with a better sound system or something like that? much cheaper to distribute and likely to do just as well at the box office, which would mean far better profits! In 1987, the idea of Detroit as a failed city was satire; now it is merely sad and depressing.

I was trying to think of a remake that was as good or better than the original. A few came surprisingly close. Most of them were US remakes of a superior foreign film, like The Magnificent Seven set in Mexico with gunfighters against bandits was really good, nearly as good as The Seven Samurai with swordsmen against bandits in feudal Japan....or Point of No Return as the US remake of the French film La Femme Nikita. that kind of "remake" makes sense, as people don't like subtitles or watching a dubbed film where the words spoken by the voices obviously don't match the moving lips.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      I saw trailers for a remake of Robocop What is the point? why not simply re-release the original with a better sound system or something like that? much cheaper to distribute and likely to do just as well at the box office, which would mean far better profits! In 1987, the idea of Detroit as a failed city was satire; now it is merely sad and depressing.

I was trying to think of a remake that was as good or better than the original. A few came surprisingly close. Most of them were US remakes of a superior foreign film, like The Magnificent Seven set in Mexico with gunfighters against bandits was really good, nearly as good as The Seven Samurai with swordsmen against bandits in feudal Japan....or Point of No Return as the US remake of the French film La Femme Nikita. that kind of "remake" makes sense, as people don't like subtitles or watching a dubbed film where the words spoken by the voices obviously don't match the moving lips.
                      You don't want to get started on the amount of FAIL that appears to be involved in the new ROBOCOP... The internet folk have already beat that horse into a pulp... And it's likely that they are all correct in their assumptions...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

This might be the geekiest movie/twitter thing ever. Star Wars and Marvel get into a Twitter "bout".

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/22/...icle-trend-now
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          I was trying to think of a remake that was as good or better than the original.
                          IMHO, the US remake of The Italian Job was "better" than the British original....
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The Bourne Identity. Still can't turn it off.

Comment

Saw Lone Survivor last weekend...WHAT A ****ING AMAZING MOVIE!

I read the book last summer so I knew the story going in and in thinking about the book in retrospect to be honest there's not a creative writer anywhere on earth who could have created/written the story Marcus Luttrell lived through.

The acting was great, but what really got me is the movie took very little if any liberties with in the story (although the end was rushed...both Gulab and the village elder deserved more exposition and screen time) and the final montage showing the real men was enough to make you cry.

For me this is the best film I've seen based on a true story/war experience (right up there with the Band of Brothers and Pacific series)...I wish Blackhawk Down had achieved this level of greatness but that really wasn't Ridley Scott's forte.

here's a pretty good conversation w/one of the actors and Marcus himself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5m9CMT_1bU
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Nice double feature (different channels) tonight:

The Warriors
                                Identity

Love 'em both. Worth owning.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X