X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

The Iceman:

Story about Richard Kuklinski, a contract killer who murdered over 100 men over the course of a couple decades. I liked it quite a bit. Michael Shannon does a great job as the title character, who got his nickname because he froze his victims for some time before thawing and dumping the bodies, to confuse police on the time of actual death. It's wonder how these people's minds work, as to doing the job and keeping a personal life (he had a wife and 2 kids, both clueless as to what he really did for a living).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The American:

VERY dry, slow movie. It's not for everyone, for sure. Long stretches of no dialogue, no action, no anything. I really liked it, though. Good story, despite a predictable ending. Quite stylish in a simple way. I guess the best way to put it is that everything is happening when nothing is happening. The story is in the non-action and non-dialogue parts.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Watched World War Z last night. I liked it, it was entertaining, but it wasn't exceptional. The running/swarming zombies were pretty **** creepy, and much more menacing than the slow "walkers" from other zombie movies/shows. There were too many small things that bugged me about the movie for me to think it was very good.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Smashed: Fantastic movie. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul play alcoholics; one of whom tries to get sober and the other with no intentions on doing so. Great movie for anyone who has dealt with addiction issues or has worked in the treatment industry. Nick Offerman is also in it and has one particularly hilarious scene.

Moonrise Kingdom: Thoroughly entertaining. A fun little film and a quirky story. Edward Norton is outstanding as a hapless scout troop leader and the main characters (especially the boy) were both quite good.

Let the Right One In: I watched the Swedish version and very much enjoyed it. Not scary, per se, but suspenseful and entertaining. Haven't seen the American version yet. Any good?

Killer Joe: It has been a long time (maybe never) since I have been this disturbed by a movie. 90 minutes of uncomfortable-ness, mixed with some fantastic dark humor ("Hey Sharla, your mascara's running") and gratuitous nudity. Some of the scenes were almost unwatchable but overall a good movie. Emile Hirsch is a fantastic actor and McConaughey is pretty stellar as well. I actually had a disturbing dream about this movie last night...it's definitely one that will stick with you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            There were too many small things that bugged me about the movie for me to think it was very good.
            The cold storage for the virus strains drove the microbiologist girlfriend nuts. Evidently the only movie that gets close with that kind of stuff is Contagion.

Speaking of that movie, I saw it for the first time five months ago and I still wash my hands 5,854,579 times a day.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

I saw "We're the Millers" on a flight last week. Some real laugh out loud moments, but some really unfunny parts, too.

Glad I didn't pay to see it.
              Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Marvel is going to make an Ant-Man movie. No, really, they're going to make it for some reason. Paul Rudd is going to star. It better be a comedy. Only a comedy.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/2...man/?hpt=hp_t3
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Marvel is going to make an Ant-Man movie. No, really, they're going to make it for some reason. Paul Rudd is going to star. It better be a comedy. Only a comedy.

has anyone seen Anchorman 2.?
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

There is no need for this and the movie will probably bomb terribly. Paul Rudd hasnt made a good movie since I Love You Man and no one knows who Ant-Man is. Even comic nerds wont flock to see this movie. This is Marvel/Disney going too far imho. (see also: Sony with their plans to make Sinister Six and Venom)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      There is no need for this and the movie will probably bomb terribly. Paul Rudd hasnt made a good movie since I Love You Man and no one knows who Ant-Man is. Even comic nerds wont flock to see this movie. This is Marvel/Disney going too far imho. (see also: Sony with their plans to make Sinister Six and Venom)
                      Rudd was okay in Prince Avalanche. Realllllly quirky movie, though. Napoleon Dynamite would be considered quite normal of a movie compared to PA, for example.

Comment

I like Paul Rudd for the most part so believe me I am not hating on the guy...this movie was a bad idea when Simon Pegg was supposed to be Ant-Man 5 years ago.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I like Paul Rudd for the most part so believe me I am not hating on the guy...this movie was a bad idea when Simon Pegg was supposed to be Ant-Man 5 years ago.
                          I very much agree. Nobody knows who Ant-Man is. The only introduction I've had to him is in a Lego video game. From what I can tell, he wears a helmet with antennae and he can become very small. That doesn't make for a very enticing movie watching idea. And like you, I enjoy Paul Rudd.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

He can also become very large, is another science genius like Stark and Banner, and was one of the founding members of the Avengers. That said, it is a dumb idea. I have no interest even though Rudd rules.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Why Paul Rudd is a good choice...

At this point, I am willing to let the team at Marvel do their thing... As the Marvel Cinematic Universe has developed, I could say many of the things you guys are saying about Thor... I had no idea who he was or why an Olde English speaking hero would fit into the group...Thor was done very well, and is now a central character...

With Ant-Man, I am willing to give the makers their shot with this... For me, the Marvel Universe is something that has developed into "Shut up and take my money!" territory... Personally, I would think that next Summer's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY would be a bigger question mark for the series as a whole... At least Ant-Man has a similar background to the cast of characters we currently have (scientist/technology developer living on the extreme cutting edge of their trade)... GUARDIANS is going to be introducing the more mystical side of the comics, which according to what we've seen so far, is going to be the focus for PHASE 3... That is the part that Marvel is going to have to sell me on...

Right now, I am very satisfied with what we have gotten... I'm willing to work with the creators... Will I still be interested in 3 years? Who knows? But for now, they have my full attention...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Well it can't be any worse than the justice league light movie that'll be coming out. No hope for that thing.

/shrug

Comment

Working...
                                X