This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

I keep seeing the 47 Ronin ads and can't help but think it would actually be good if not for Keanu.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I keep seeing the 47 Ronin ads and can't help but think it would actually be good if not for Keanu.
      Ditto. But I'm sure I'll give it a shot when it hits Netflix.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just watched the extended version of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Really cause I just got the blu-ray, but it can't hurt that the second installment begins this weekend.

First, the picture is just amazing. Second, while it only added 13 minutes of extra footage, it felt like an entirely different movie to me. It seemed to slow things down just enough, fill things out a bit, that the initial reaction I had to the film, that of jumping pell mell from one crisis to the next, was gone. And the little things that bothered me about the theatrical film, how the Warg chase, the mountain pass, and the tunnels of the goblin town were too derivative of similar scenes from the LOTR movies, didn't bother me so much on this viewing.

I enjoyed the movie much more on this viewing than when I first saw it in theaters. Now we'll see how the next chapter plays.

edit: Wow, as is often the case with music, it seems gurt and I are the same page here.

edit again: I actually liked the extended goblin town. And was laughing out loud at the dwarves in the fountain.
        Last edited by rufus; 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Just watched the extended version of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Really cause I just got the blu-ray, but it can't hurt that the second installment begins this weekend.

First, the picture is just amazing. Second, while it only added 13 minutes of extra footage, it felt like an entirely different movie to me. It seemed to slow things down just enough, fill things out a bit, that the initial reaction I had to the film, that of jumping pell mell from one crisis to the next, was gone. And the little things that bothered me about the theatrical film, how the Warg chase, the mountain pass, and the tunnels of the goblin town were too derivative of similar scenes from the LOTR movies, didn't bother me so much on this viewing.

I enjoyed the movie much more on this viewing than when I first saw it in theaters. Now we'll see how the next chapter plays.

edit: Wow, as is often the case with music, it seems gurt and I are the same page here.

edit again: I actually liked the extended goblin town. And was laughing out loud at the dwarves in the fountain.

Nerd alert!

I'm not a gamer, have never played WOW (played Warcraft a bit - the armies game), played D&D as a kid like many in the 80s, I'm not a larp'er, don't really care for other fantasy books and I don't dress up as an elf when I go to LOTR movies.

I am a huge LOTR fan though and have been since I was around 11 and my mom bought me The Hobbit and I read it in two days. I've read all of the books many, many times and know my stuff for the most part.

With that in mind, here are my (negative) thoughts of the first movie written not long after I first saw it...

http://newboards.theonering.net/foru...545702;#545702

Warning! The review is long and this is a nerd site. While I'd probably never interact with the people of this site in real life - at least in a LOTR fan context, I feel comfortable in anonymity and sometimes enjoy posting there. For the most part though, they're even too nerdy for me.

Some had asked what my problem with the first movie was. Well, there it is...

Comment

Um, ladies and gentlemen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2417712/

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I loved the new Hobbit film. First IMAX film ever actually. Awesome.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I'm going tomorrow. Sundance Theaters here in town.

No Imax coz I want to see it in 2D.

If the boy wants to go, maybe he'll want 3D and we'll go to the Ultra Screen.

Watched the first disc of the production videos from the first movie and just like the original trilogy, they're excellent. Started watching them last night by myself and the skater/athlete/snowboarder/emo-rocking/skinnyjeanleathercoatwearing teenager sat down and watched them with me and said "These are really interesting. Don't tell my teammates though."

Comment

As of now, I've got Wed. night penciled in to see the new one. Read two separate reviews so far, one says it's better than the first one, but still bad, the other raved about it.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    It was very good. The dwarf barrel of orc death may have gotten old quick but it completely redeemed itself!

Smaug the magnificent got a huge boost in screen time and it makes the movie. All this build up, all the travels, and it all would have been a steaming pile of overindulgent **** without a menace capable of keeping all the armies as far away from a mountain filled with gold as they can get.

I couldn't help but think of this at the culmination and ultimate failure of the dwarves "makeshift" plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                      The dwarf barrel of orc death...
                      Did this result require a 9-sided or 12-sided die?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Did this result require a 9-sided or 12-sided die?
                        Pretty sure that roll required a natural 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          I'm going tomorrow. Sundance Theaters here in town.

No Imax coz I want to see it in 2D.

If the boy wants to go, maybe he'll want 3D and we'll go to the Ultra Screen.

Watched the first disc of the production videos from the first movie and just like the original trilogy, they're excellent. Started watching them last night by myself and the skater/athlete/snowboarder/emo-rocking/skinnyjeanleathercoatwearing teenager sat down and watched them with me and said "These are really interesting. Don't tell my teammates though."

The 3D is so incredible I highly recommend it.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Man Of Steel:

Going into it, and at times watching it, the different elements of the story excited me:
                            --how other kids viewed him growing up
                            --his conflict with himself being a bit darker
                            --the Lois Lane twists

BUT.....they Michael Bay-ed it. After 1:45 of this 2:20 movie, I shut 'er down. I couldn't take it anymore. I'm so disappointed. What a load of crap. They took what should have been a diamond, and turned it into something that resembled the results of a night filled with Taco Bell and Natty Ice.

Comment

So my wife and I watched two movies this weekend.
                              The Way Way Back and Girl Most Likely. All I have to say is we sure know how to pick some interesting movies. I thought Way Way Back ended up better but it sure started slow and awkward.
                              Girl Most Likely was nothing like what my wife was hoping and just plain odd.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Teaser for the next Christopher Nolan movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U#t=82

Doesn't tell us a whole lot, but really does pique the interest.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X