X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    This has convinced me to watch the EE.

If I have a Gurt-like turnaround (unlikely, but then again I did have a brief period where I didn't hate Revenge of the Sith), then we will know for sure that Hell hath frozen over.
    I'm not saying that I'm happy with it - just that I've accepted it for what it is and moved on. It's still nowhere near as good as the first trilogy and the addition to Goblin Town will probably make you want to puke, but enough of the rest of it was good enough that I enjoyed it. I'll watch it again some day.

It's a heckuva lot better relatively than the Phantom Menace was. FWIW.

I'll see the Desolation first weekend now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      the addition to Goblin Town will probably make you want to puke
      Let me guess... a song and dance number?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Who do you think PJ is George Lucas?

Desolation looks great!

And yes the EE of the LOTR are the definitive version...long as heck but even Two Towers was watchable
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Who do you think PJ is George Lucas?

Even Lucas would think this one is out of place...

Comment

Using the above comments about Daniel Craig, I was able to find a pretty good 3-part movie, "Archangel" on Netflix. It was interesting enough that I finished all 3 episodes in one sitting, so that says something. Sort of like a Russian version of the Boys from Brazil, but not as far fetched, and without a Josef Mengele character.

Comment

Watched The Hangover 3 and The Heat over Thanksgiving weekend.

Hangover 3 was not very good, as I had heard. There were a few laugh out loud moments, but overall, it flopped, in my opinion. Oddly enough, I liked the direction they went, in the story, I just didn't think it had the humor that was needed.

The Heat was better than I expected, but not great. Family wanted to watch it, so I watched along with them. It was a decent way to spend a few hours, and there were some good laughs in it.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Went to see Thor 2 this weekend. Any movie with two Jewish leading ladies is OK in my book.

Seriously, it was fun, although a bit long.

And as typical for a Marvel movie, there's a scene after all the credits run (in addition to the one partway through the credits).
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
                  Went to see Thor 2 this weekend. Any movie with two Jewish leading ladies is OK in my book.

Seriously, it was fun, although a bit long.

And as typical for a Marvel movie, there's a scene after all the credits run (in addition to the one partway through the credits).
                  Now those scenes are actually fairly important... They kinda set the groundwork going forward here... And not just for the next movie (Captain America: Winter Soldier)... They go well beyond that... They were totally meant for the nerds of the Marvel Cinematic Universe
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Easy Rider:
                    I saw it once a VERY long time ago, remember liking it, but that was about it. Upon rewatch....notsomuch overall. A couple snippets were good, but overall? Meh.

Angels From Hell:
                    Trashy biker movie. I've seen better crappy movies, for sure. This one had the potential, it just seemed half-arsed on effort.

Olympus Has Fallen:
                    Helluva fun action movie. Very much worth the watch. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and I was expecting a decent ride.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Olympus Has Fallen:
                      Helluva fun action movie. Very much worth the watch. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and I was expecting a decent ride.
                      I'm with you on this one. Not sure why I originally wanted to see it but was a pretty good movie.

Saw the new Evil Dead. Eh... okay I guess. I guess I didn't expect it to be quite as gory. It was okay.

Comment

Carl Panzram: The Spirit of Hatred and Revenge

Decent documentary on one really messed up guy. Confessed to many murders, rapes, burglaries, arsons, etc back in the day, wrote his autobiography at the urging of a prison guard. Definitely a dark point in MN history, given that he was born and went to reform schools here before really letting loose.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Only God Forgives

Don't even bother. It's crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Only God Forgives

Don't even bother. It's crap.
                            Almost watched that the other day. But my friend had not seen Thor yet (!?!?!) so we watched that instead. Guess I will steer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                              Almost watched that the other day. But my friend had not seen Thor yet (!?!?!) so we watched that instead. Guess I will steer clear.
                              It has the Goose in it, so that's why I gave it a shot. I really like him as an actor.

Dead Man Down:

Colin Farrell, F Murray Abraham, Noomi Rapace, Dominic Cooper, and Terrence Howard piqued my curiosity on this one. I really really liked it until the last 15 minutes, when it turned into cookie-cutter action. However, those last 15 minutes weren't enough to make me noticeably like the movie any less. Farrell and Rapace did VERY well in their roles. Worth a watch.

Comment

Killing Season

Travolta and DeNiro...yeah, it's about what you would expect. It's okay. IMO it seemed to me that they tried to capture the same feeling that The Grey actually nailed (great movie, btw, GREAT movie), but failed. They tried too hard, and let's face it...Travolta.

Comment

Working...
                                X