This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

I thought the new True Grit was good. Not as good as the original, but it wasn't a bad movie. The only reason people think it is bad is because the original is so good. Sure we can have a conversation about whether a movie like True Grit should ever be re-made, but I think most will agree the answer is "no". If the new one was a stand-alone movie, with the original never existing, it wouldn't be thought of as a terrible movie by some.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I never saw the original and I didn't care for the remake.

Hated the way the girl character was played and felt that the movie was really weak in the character development dept.

All modern Westerns for me are compared to Unforgiven. In that light, True Grit is found to be severely lacking.

Django Unchained? Brilliant!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I thought the new True Grit was good. Not as good as the original, but it wasn't a bad movie. The only reason people think it is bad is because the original is so good. Sure we can have a conversation about whether a movie like True Grit should ever be re-made, but I think most will agree the answer is "no". If the new one was a stand-alone movie, with the original never existing, it wouldn't be thought of as a terrible movie by some.
        In my case you are wrong, saw the original AFTER the remake so it wouldnt cloud my judgement. The remake was just bad and was liked more because of who made it. (when it comes to the critics anyways)
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          I never saw the original and I didn't care for the remake.

Hated the way the girl character was played and felt that the movie was really weak in the character development dept.

All modern Westerns for me are compared to Unforgiven. In that light, True Grit is found to be severely lacking.

Django Unchained? Brilliant!
          Django was awesome. I thought Unforgiven was ok. For modern westerns, besides the obvious choice Tombstone , I really loved Appaloosa, DESPITE Renee Zellwegger's best efforts to destroy the movie. To me, it's THAT good.
          Edit: for those who don't know, Renee needs to be thrown in a dungeon in the deep dark earth so we never have to see/hear her again.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            You could say that about a host of remakes that should have never been made. I haven't seen the remake, but there was no way Bridges could replace The Duke.

As for the modern oaters, my benchmark is Silverado. Love this reviewer's comment on Rotten Tomatoes:

It's like a colossal buffet: You take what you want and leave the rest, readily forgiving the worst of it because the best just tastes so good.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Watched Closure recently. It's an indie documentary that follows around a lady who was adopted as she pursues tracking down and getting to know her birth parents, who she had no contact with or knowledge of for many years. Well done and I'd particularly recommend it to anyone involved in the foster system or adoption. It's not in theaters, but you can watch it online or download it or buy it on Amazon.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Three Avatar sequels... what could go wrong?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/sam-w..._article_88871

I liked Avatar a lot. Hope they have a good script(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Django was awesome. I thought Unforgiven was ok. For modern westerns, besides the obvious choice Tombstone , I really loved Appaloosa, DESPITE Renee Zellwegger's best efforts to destroy the movie. To me, it's THAT good.
                  Edit: for those who don't know, Renee needs to be thrown in a dungeon in the deep dark earth so we never have to see/hear her again.
                  Apaloosa? That movie was like mixing Prozac and sleeping pills...pretty sure I snored in the theater when i saw it
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, it's been a busy week as far as the Marvel Cinematic Universe is concerned:

Michael Douglas to play Hank Pym in Ant-Man

This somewhat settles things as to what direction ANT-MAN will go with Hank Pym/Scott Lang... Obviously Douglas is well into his 60s here, so he will be an elder Pym in the movie... This will allow Paul Rudd to play Scott Lang independently... Lang is the Ant-Man we will see going forward since any scenes involving Pym as Ant-Man will likely be flashbacks within the movie...

Avengers: Age of Ultron has a 2nd Villian Here we see that HYDRA will be making it's return to the MCU... This will probably be set up in Captain America: Winter Soldier this April...

Marvel has announced their next "One-Shot" short that will come with the THOR: Dark World Blu-Ray
                    This is one of the more interesting tidbits... With the Madarin being a part of the "Bait & Switch" in Iron Man 3, it makes you wonder about the character going forward... Seems like this is something that could lay the groundwork for something Marvel/Disney can build off of... Also, the short takes place at Seagate Prison... That plays heavily into the story of Luke Cage, who will be getting his own mini-series via NETFLIX...

And all of this isn't touching on the frenzy that surrounded the "Johnny Depp is gonna play Doctor Strange!" non-sense that happened earlier in the week...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Like the last time, when it was basically a remake of Pocahontas?
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

IIRC, it was Slappy who mentioned Animal Kingdom. Watched it tonight. It was slow and plodding, but more often than not, it was done in a good way. I wasn't overly impressed by it, but it was worth a view. The few actors who were recognizable from their other work did well. J (the main character) didn't impress me one bit, though. Too stiff, even with his role being written that way.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Three Avatar sequels... what could go wrong?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/sam-w..._article_88871

Avatar 2 - Humans return to Pandora because the Unatianium is just worth it that much. Probably ends with a uneasy peace between the new miners and Jake's clan.
                          Avatar 3 - The Miners push back against the Na'vi, really do something to really mess up the planet because they just gotta have the Cheddar, Jake might go to Earth
                          Avatar 4 - Jake returns, hops back on his Last Shadow buddy, kicks some ***, and teaches his son on how to beat the snot out of Space Marines, and gets a more long term arrangement to keep Pandora free from miners.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            Avatar 2 - Humans return to Pandora because the Unatianium is just worth it that much. Probably ends with a uneasy peace between the new miners and Jake's clan.
                            Avatar 3 - The Miners push back against the Na'vi, really do something to really mess up the planet because they just gotta have the Cheddar, Jake might go to Earth
                            Avatar 4 - Jake returns, hops back on his Last Shadow buddy, kicks some ***, and teaches his son on how to beat the snot out of Space Marines, and gets a more long term arrangement to keep Pandora free from miners.
                            Avatar 5 - We introduce The Trade Federation, who have an army of droids...
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

F* Avatar and all its sequels

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Avatar 5 - We introduce The Trade Federation, who have an army of droids...
                                Avatar 6 - The Search for More Money!
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X