X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Deadly Code

Malkovich is listed as the star, but frankly, he's just a great supporting actor in this movie about criminal Siberians in late 90s' Russia/USSR. The basic plot is standard "best friends end up on opposing sides" but it's really well done, and there are quite a few cultural lessons to be told (especially about tattoos in that culture). Definitely recommend.
    Did he go full caricature in this one a la, Pay heyam. Pay that meyan his money.

Comment

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Did he go full caricature in this one a la, Pay heyam. Pay that meyan his money.
      Close. Really close. I actually thought he was doing that at first, but as the movie went on, he was actually more subtle. Thankfully. I really think you'd like this movie. It's a bit slow, a bit subdued, nothing outrageous. And the guy who plays Gargarin excels in his role, IMO.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Close. Really close. I actually thought he was doing that at first, but as the movie went on, he was actually more subtle. Thankfully. I really think you'd like this movie. It's a bit slow, a bit subdued, nothing outrageous. And the guy who plays Gargarin excels in his role, IMO.
        I will keep it on my list.

Comment

Monuments Men:

It was entertaining. Nothing outstanding. I was really pumped about this movie before it came out, and after reading a few reviews from critics and fans alike, my expectations were tempered, thankfully. It then turned out about how I thought, going into the viewing.

Pain And Gain:

Much better than I thought it would be. Yes, lots of things were Hollywood-ized, but hey, that's the movies for ya. I still liked it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Monuments Men:

It was entertaining. Nothing outstanding. I was really pumped about this movie before it came out, and after reading a few reviews from critics and fans alike, my expectations were tempered, thankfully. It then turned out about how I thought, going into the viewing.
            It certainly had good ingredients, with the true story and cast, but the result was just so...meh. It just showed a bunch of things happening but I never really felt for it, it felt like they didn't set the scene right or something.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              It certainly had good ingredients, with the true story and cast, but the result was just so...meh. It just showed a bunch of things happening but I never really felt for it, it felt like they didn't set the scene right or something.
              Agreed. It was almost like a Disney-fied version of the story, with some of the funny one-liners and such. However, the meat of the plot was done alright. Seeing the trailer and movie poster...I was expecting a super blockbuster movie, and they just didn't quite commit to what they wanted to do, IMO.

Comment

Finally got around to Desolation of Smaug.

So far, it's pretty bad.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Which Bond drank the most, killed the most, and spread pollen with abandon?
                  https://twitter.com/PostReid/status/...507072/photo/1

Frankly, that's about the order I'd put then in for GBOAT.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Resubscribed
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Gone Girl.

Amazing Hitchcockian Thriller. The villian in the movie may go down as a top 10 villian of all time. Wonderful performances.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Agreed. It was almost like a Disney-fied version of the story, with some of the funny one-liners and such. However, the meat of the plot was done alright. Seeing the trailer and movie poster...I was expecting a super blockbuster movie, and they just didn't quite commit to what they wanted to do, IMO.
                        They definitely marketed the movie wrong. It was never intended to be like that it is Clooney making a period piece about a story many didnt know about. I think the fact that he got a bunch of stars to be in it hurt it because if it had been a lesser budget film the same critics would have loved it with zero changes to script.

I like the movie a lot, but it is nothing special. I also dont think it was ever meant to be anything special. It is just the story of some guys who had a passion to save the art Hitler was going to destroy.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Finally got around to Desolation of Smaug.

So far, it's pretty bad.
                          You know what would be a cool project, after Part 3 comes out edit the 3of them into one 3.5 hour film and see if it is better. I think it would could be epic!
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Elizabethtown. It got pretty bad reviews, but I like it a lot. I pretty much like every film Cameron Crowe has done, but there's just a lowkey sweetness about this film that I find charming. One of the few movies that I'll probably buy on DVD.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Elizabethtown. It got pretty bad reviews, but I like it a lot. I pretty much like every film Cameron Crowe has done, but there's just a lowkey sweetness about this film that I find charming. One of the few movies that I'll probably buy on DVD.
                              Did I miss 60B? Did I miss 60B? DID, I, MISS 60B? DID. I. MISS! 60! B!?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Bloodsport...awesome and horrible, but great to watch whilst working out
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X