• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Interstellar looks like a movie I could watch, except for the 2 lead actors.

So I'm skipping it.
    Alright alright alright already.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Interstellar looks like a movie I could watch, except for the 2 lead actors.

So I'm skipping it.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The only good remake of a good original I have ever seen was The Thing.
    The Magnificent Seven is an outstanding remake of The Seven Samurai. Both are top-flight.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Yep. I sat through the original some time ago and enjoyed it. Really wanted the DVD so I picked up this version when I saw it. Now I just need to find a free 4 hour block to watch it again. Haha.

I'm definitely planning on seeing Interstellar this weekend. Been waiting since I saw the first trailer a while back.
    I have "America" in my queue. Might have to bump it up.

And I have the day off on Fri, and really want to see Interstellar. A very nice theater has tickets for $5 for a pre-noon showing. Depending on how my morning goes (have a couple appts to go to), that would rule, since I bet the theater will be mostly empty.

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by rufus View Post
    That's the one with DeNiro and James woods, right? I've seen probably most of that over the years, but don't know if I've ever watched it straight through from beginning to end. Great movie though.
    Yep. I sat through the original some time ago and enjoyed it. Really wanted the DVD so I picked up this version when I saw it. Now I just need to find a free 4 hour block to watch it again. Haha.

I'm definitely planning on seeing Interstellar this weekend. Been waiting since I saw the first trailer a while back.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Worldwide, it did $198MM. I never saw it, but I was told that it was all right, though pointless when it comes to remakes - other than the money grab.
    I heard it was shot for shot. Never saw it.

The only good remake of a good original I have ever seen was The Thing.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I was looking through the channel guide, and I saw a listing for Total Recall. Ah, that's one of my favorite movies.

So I go to check it out and it says "Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale". W . T. F. ? No Ahnold? No Sharon Stone? No Ronny Cox (one of movie's greatest villains)?

Oh well. So it goes. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine a remake could be more fun than the original in this case. Obviously, I don't recall it making a big splash at the box office.
    Worldwide, it did $198MM. I never saw it, but I was told that it was all right, though pointless when it comes to remakes - other than the money grab.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I thought Kepler was a cat? Cute cat, too.
    Yep, he was a cute cat. Really vicious to everybody who wasn't me, too. He had good instincts.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Based on the trailers, I have a nerd hard-on for Interstellar from here to Proxima Centauri.

Also, Johannes didn't say anything about interstellar astrophysics. He was strictly a planetary man.
    I thought Kepler was a cat? Cute cat, too.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

I was looking through the channel guide, and I saw a listing for Total Recall. Ah, that's one of my favorite movies.

So I go to check it out and it says "Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale". W . T. F. ? No Ahnold? No Sharon Stone? No Ronny Cox (one of movie's greatest villains)?

Oh well. So it goes. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine a remake could be more fun than the original in this case. Obviously, I don't recall it making a big splash at the box office.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    A directors cut of Once Upon a Time in America has been released on DVD (not sure if blue ay) or maybe it was released a while ago and I just now noticed. Anyway, with the 22 minutes of new footage, the movie now clocks in at 4 hours and 11 minutes. Not surprisingly, it is spread over two discs.
    That's the one with DeNiro and James woods, right? I've seen probably most of that over the years, but don't know if I've ever watched it straight through from beginning to end. Great movie though.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Kepler already hates Interstellar...which is kind of ironic given his name
    Based on the trailers, I have a nerd hard-on for Interstellar from here to Proxima Centauri.

Also, Johannes didn't say anything about interstellar astrophysics. He was strictly a planetary man.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Kepler already hates Interstellar...which is kind of ironic given his name

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

NY Post film critic Lou Lumenick raves about Interstellar, gives it 4 stars:

Genius director Christopher Nolan reaches for the stars in “Interstellar” — and delivers a soulful, must-see masterpiece, one of the most exhilarating film experiences so far this century....in this brainy, heartfelt, gorgeous and flawlessly acted sci-fi epic.

...“Interstellar’’ surprises with a Spielberg-like warmth...

You may have heard that “Interstellar’’ has a lot of exposition, including what amounts to a crash course on physics.

True, but you’ll be rewarded with a sublime trip to the movies if you go with the time-space flow.

I liked The Dark Knight Rises the best of the three Batman movies, although that is probably because I really like A Tale of Two Cities and TDKR is a great re-telling of that classic IMHO. This one sounds like a winner too.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

I agree with this. Excellent script, and a great acting job.
    Yeah, it could easily have been done incorrectly, but they really made it an interesting watch. Especially the way it ended, that pulled it all together.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X