• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    McConaughey has completely remade himself as an actor. His recent roles, Killer Joe, Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, True Detective, Lincoln Commercials...all have been excellent performances by him. Even his 5 minutes in Wolf of Wall Street was excellence. He's shown that he has some serious acting chops.
    Okay, I laughed.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Looks like some great eye candy. Will it have any heart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA
    No. It won't. But it probably will have a dwarf bouncing around the battlefield somehow accidentally killing a dozen orcs and a wizard with bird **** on his face.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I am going to commit heresy here, so please keep it to yourself. I don't really enjoy The Seven Samurai. I know, I know, I know, effing classic, I know. But try as I might I come near to falling asleep in the middle. The Magnificent Seven, on the other hand, I think I can recite by heart.

But you did trigger an example I am on board with. Yojimbo is the closest I've ever seen to a perfect Japanese movie -- I think the central character is my second favorite ever, after Bogey's Sam Spade, and Fistful of Dollars is a great remake.
    What are your thoughts on What's Up Tiger Lily?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    MM is the least funny human being I have ever seen.
    I think she's great.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I disagree, but I still don't find her terribly funny regardless. Which is why it was nice to see her not trying to be funny.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

I really enjoyed St. Vincent. Bill Murray rules, and Melissa McCarthy was more than a female Chris Farley.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Very late to this party, but finally watched Hard Boiled.

Decent movie, but VERY dated. You can see some of Woo's signatures in the movie (doves/birds, Mexican standoff, etc), and if this movie were more polished....it'd be excellent. Still worth a watch, but only if you like to see the roots of the director or are a fan of signature movies in "film history."

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by geezer View Post
    This endorsement restores my interest. I read a VERY negative review (including spoilers) from a highly irked science writer on Slate. I'm more about entertainment than realism myself.
    Went all Neil de Grasse Tyson on it, did they?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    This endorsement restores my interest. I read a VERY negative review (including spoilers) from a highly irked science writer on Slate. I'm more about entertainment than realism myself.
    The local critic praised it, but at the same time ripped it. He seems to rip any decent movie, though, just because everyone else loves it. So, IMO, he gave the movie a grand review.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Saw Interstellar today. That's a lot to fully take in with only one viewing. I liked it quite a bit, but will definitely watch again at some point to fully grasp the physics details in there.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Saw Interstellar in IMAX. Pretty good, need to let it sink in to determine if it's better. But I'm not watching another movie in IMAX; there is such a thing as too large of a screen.
    I almost agree. Depends on the movie, though. If it is a detailed movie with lots of stuff on the sides/background, I'd agree. If it's centric in nature, where the sides don't matter much...then I'd disagree.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Looks like some great eye candy. Will it have any heart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    I REALLY want to see Birdman. But I'm likely going to have to wait or the DVD release.
    I do want to see both.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X