X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    If someone goes to the theater and had not grown up watching Godzilla on late night Saturday TV then, yes, I agree it's Pacific Rim 2. For someone who grew up doing that very thing the movie is WAY more than Pacific Rim 2 and hit all the high points with ease. Including the cheesy acting.

Someone having a sentimental attachment to something from their youth doesn't automatically make a reboot of that something great.

See the second Star Wars trilogy for reference.

I did in fact grow up watching the Godzilla movies (44 now) - as often as they were on, usually Saturday afternoons. I also watched Ultra Man, Spectra Man, King Kong and another show that I can't remember the title to but it was a father a mother and a son who could turn themselves into rockets and would battle oversized monsters.

Godzilla was my favorite though. My mom still has some of my drawings. I used to use my plastic dinosaurs (allosaurus was Godzilla) to have my own monster battles. Even had the 2 foot tall plastic Godzilla.

All that said, this movie left me flat just like most of these do.

A lot of (admittedly, cool) action that looks great on screen combined with improbable human reactions and a lack of character development.

I read some articles about this before it came out and they were intentionally trying to play it straight. That's fine, but then the acting shouldn't seem cheesy, since we're not going for campy.

Again, goodish movie. Not great.

And again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Yeah, we have those too. They're called "Emagine Theaters" around here. I think for another $2, you get a wider leather seat and a concierge. I found the whole thing to be a little silly, especially considering that their regular seats are actually an upgrade from standard theater seats, but some people do pay for it.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      $2 extra and I get someone that brings me drinks during the movie? TOTALLY WORTH IT.

I feel like the seat and more importantly, the comfort that I had last night was well worth the $13 that I paid for it.

Comment

There is a theater near me called iPic where the last two rows are slightly more expensive but you get wait staff, good sized menu, an over stuffed recliner, an airline sized pillow, and a blanket. My wife loves going there to see movies.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The theater I went to see Neighbors at had the recliners too. Unfortunately I'm a little too tall for those seats so my feet were hanging off the edge and hitting the chair in front of me. First time going to a theater like that, and since I was visiting a friend on the other side of the state it'll probably be awhile before I do it again because I don't think any theaters around me have recliners and whatnot. Plus I don't make it out to the theater too often. I think that was the first time since Ted or Lincoln.

I know for sure I wouldn't be able to go to any places with blankets and pillows, because I would just end up paying 13 dollars to take a nap.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Someone having a sentimental attachment to something from their youth doesn't automatically make a reboot of that something great.

See the second Star Wars trilogy for reference.

I did in fact grow up watching the Godzilla movies (44 now) - as often as they were on, usually Saturday afternoons. I also watched Ultra Man, Spectra Man, King Kong and another show that I can't remember the title to but it was a father a mother and a son who could turn themselves into rockets and would battle oversized monsters.

Godzilla was my favorite though. My mom still has some of my drawings. I used to use my plastic dinosaurs (allosaurus was Godzilla) to have my own monster battles. Even had the 2 foot tall plastic Godzilla.

All that said, this movie left me flat just like most of these do.

A lot of (admittedly, cool) action that looks great on screen combined with improbable human reactions and a lack of character development.

I read some articles about this before it came out and they were intentionally trying to play it straight. That's fine, but then the acting shouldn't seem cheesy, since we're not going for campy.

Again, goodish movie. Not great.

And again, just my opinion.
            The second star wars trilogy didn't play homage to the first very well. That's why most hate it. I think this Godzilla paid homage to the original, unlike the '98 version which did not. Your actually making my point for me by bringing Star Wars into it. It's the same argument I made about the Green Goblin and was vilified for it.

If the movie had believable human reactions and character development I wouldn't have liked it as much. That's what the '98 version tried to do and failed.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The second star wars trilogy didn't play homage to the first very well. That's why most hate it. I think this Godzilla paid homage to the original, unlike the '98 version which did not. Your actually making my point for me by bringing Star Wars into it. It's the same argument I made about the Green Goblin and was vilified for it.

If the movie had believable human reactions and character development I wouldn't have liked it as much. That's what the '98 version tried to do and failed.

I think many will agree with you and many with me.

It's all good.

Comment

Saw Munich again over the weekend and enjoyed it as much as the first time.

Saw Pineapple Express as well again and disliked as much as the first. I gave this one a second look because I've read comments that reference positively that past few weeks and I have to say I was right - those people are crocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I think many will agree with you and many with me.

It's all good.
                  No, they all agree with you. Thus my existence in a nutshell. I'm good with you though.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

No, they all agree with you. Thus my existence in a nutshell. I'm good with you though.

Can't imagine why you care. Like what you like. Take from things what you take.

**** everyone else and their opinions. I always do.

I learned as a kid to never, EVER worry what people think about the music I like. I also apply this to movies and TV shows.

Not your bag? Fine by me.

Conversely, I try very hard to not judge others for their tastes (in entertainment). You like Faith Hill and she moves you? Good for you! You hate Phish and I like them a lot. No worries, to each their own.

Long and short is that we're all moved by different things and the perceived quality of these things is incidental to the movement.

I enjoyed the heck out of Battleship. Go figure and **** all of you!

PS - Yeah, I've been drinking.

Comment

Scooby cares cause it gives him something to whine about
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Scooby cares cause it gives him something to whine about
                        Given time, it'll even develop into a sulk.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Given time, it'll even develop into a sulk.
                          Nope. Don't have time for that crap. Keep thinking you know my emotions though. It's damm entertaining for me.

Comment

The Prisoners:

What a wreck of a movie. The icing is rather nice on this cookie-cutter cliched movie, but that's about it. It doesn't deserve the starpower involved, that's for sure. It's basically a glorified Lifetime movie. And the plot holes...I overlook them most of the time, because it's a movie, but here's a spoiler:

They excavate a property to look for a body, but neglect to inspect the vehicle parked in front of the property, which is over a plank covering a monstrous hole in the street! WTeFF? I mean, seriously.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              The Prisoners:

What a wreck of a movie. The icing is rather nice on this cookie-cutter cliched movie, but that's about it. It doesn't deserve the starpower involved, that's for sure. It's basically a glorified Lifetime movie. And the plot holes...I overlook them most of the time, because it's a movie, but here's a spoiler:

They excavate a property to look for a body, but neglect to inspect the vehicle parked in front of the property, which is over a plank covering a monstrous hole in the street! WTeFF? I mean, seriously.
                              My response was about the same. I really do think it could have been much better, if it was done right, and a few things in the script changed.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

People whose opinions I trust are doing nothing but raving about X-Men: Days of Futures Past...I am going to have to check it out I guess
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X