X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Does anyone have feedback on alternatives to Netflix? I'd like access to both old and new stuff, but preferably not with a monthly fee, because right now, I'm thinking of claiming my Netflix fees as a charitable donation for which I receive no goods or services. Can you just rent a movie anymore? How's the selection at Redbox? Does anyone use Vudu? I have a Blu-ray player with streaming capability - that's really the only device I'd use to watch stuff.
    my wife and I have used cinemanow a few times to watch movies but only because she used to work for best buy and has a bunch of credits. Its been a pretty good service when we've used it but no idea if its worth the prices they charge...not even sure what rental costs are.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Just saw Pooh's Heffalump Movie for the first time. Yes I know it's a kids movie but I'm going to sound off on it anyways.

First off, why have Pooh in the title? He barely qualifies as a bit player in this one. Anyone who willingly watches this movie should recognize the name Heffalump so adding Pooh in the title isn't exactly necessary.

This one also has the exact same plot lines as the last one of the series of Piglet's Big Movie.
      -The gang excludes someone which causes them to go off on their own.
      -Something bad almost happens but not really.
      -The excluded character plays a pivotal role in showing everyone else they were wrong about whatever they thought in the beginning.
      -Sappy music plays and everyone gets along better.

Comment

I'm starting to get pretty geeked for this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64c6VLNJQiE

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I know you don't like the comic book movies, but I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. I just saw a trailer for the first time last weekend, and it looks like they're going to have some fun with the movie rather than being overly serious like some of the others out there. Add to that, I never read any of those stories, so it'll be entirely fresh for me.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I know you don't like the comic book movies, but I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. I just saw a trailer for the first time last weekend, and it looks like they're going to have some fun with the movie rather than being overly serious like some of the others out there. Add to that, I never read any of those stories, so it'll be entirely fresh for me.

I could see watching that assuming the reviews don't skewer it. Seems more sci-fi than comic book anyway.

Also helps that it doesn't appear to be standard comic book hero fare ala Spiderman, Hulk, etc, etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16Bo47KS2g
            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              That movie looks fun. Chris Pratt rules, hope this flick doesn't make me reconsider that opinion.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I am surprised by the fact that I am as well
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Can I just say that I thought this thing looked amazing until we started seeing Godzilla? I mean, I've seen the short clips on TV, and just dismissed them outright. Ho-hum, another remake of Godzilla. But this looks like it could be really good. Was definitely creepy, spellbinding, suspenseful, even without the overgrown dinosaur. Not the least bit campy or comic-booky. If they can continue that quality once the monster starts rampaging, this could be awesome.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Can I just say that I thought this thing looked amazing until we started seeing Godzilla? I mean, I've seen the short clips on TV, and just dismissed them outright. Ho-hum, another remake of Godzilla. But this looks like it could be really good. Was definitely creepy, spellbinding, suspenseful, even without the overgrown dinosaur. Not the least bit campy or comic-booky. If they can continue that quality once the monster starts rampaging, this could be awesome.
                    Well I think Cranston sounds rather cheesy and campy but that is part of the charm of Godzilla anyways.

I watched Monument Men...it was awesome.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Well I think Cranston sounds rather cheesy and campy but that is part of the charm of Godzilla anyways.

I watched Monument Men...it was awesome.
                      I want to see MM. It looked awesome, then some reviews trickled in and then the whole "MEH" review wave came crashing down. So, while I have a little doubt, I'm still excited to see it.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        Just saw Spiderman 2... I think that the Goblin was done fine... It simply isn't just a mechanical suit that makes him go... There's a ton more to it...

And since we're on the subject of Spidey villians: I'm really beginning to feel that the whole Sinister Six idea is gonna end up as one big dumpster fire... Paul Giamonti as Aleksei Sytsevich could have been better... He was limited to his time on screen in this movie, and it really seemed like he was just thrown in to hint at future events... Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon/Electro left a lot on the table as well... You think you're getting Electro as the main villain going in, but there isn't much to him in here... Again, it seems as if they are building to future events and they took time away from Electro to get other stuff into this movie... Because of things like this, I would put this "Comic Universe" last among the 3 current ones that are out there... Spidey needs to do a lot to hold my interest for future movies...
                        I went to see Spider-man today and liked it. The villains were not enough, almost after thoughts to the story. I liked Jamie Foxx's time on screen prior to turning blue, but found the voice effect for his post-transformation character both cool and detracting from the character. Paul Giamata was not recognized by me at all during his first sequences in the movie. Finally, when I did realize who he was, he was completely wasted unless he's strictly appearing in this film in order to setup for future movie(s).

The interactions between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey really carry the movie. From that perspective, the movie was a complete success. Spidey fighting bad guys was decent even if the bad guys were lacking in development.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I want to see MM. It looked awesome, then some reviews trickled in and then the whole "MEH" review wave came crashing down. So, while I have a little doubt, I'm still excited to see it.
                          Dont trust the reviews...they have an agenda and a bias which is pretty obvious. The movie is very well made and the cast is just awesome together.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Dont trust the reviews...they have an agenda and a bias which is pretty obvious. The movie is very well made and the cast is just awesome together.
                            The reviews I saw were more along of the "they wasted all that talent; this coulda been totally awesome, but wasn't" sorta thing.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              The reviews I saw were more along of the "they wasted all that talent; this coulda been totally awesome, but wasn't" sorta thing.
                              It is a story about a bunch of guys who try to save artwork in WWII...I am not sure what exactly the reviewers think could be so "awesome" about that. This isnt Oceans 11...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Take away my man card, but Pitch Perfect is a great movie.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X