X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Naked Gun had the assassination of QEII be the plot. Just sayin'.
    Yeah, but she's not the head of the British government

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Naked Gun had the assassination of QEII be the plot. Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Well, Sony has pulled the release. I'm not sure what to think about all this. Part of me is surprised that Sony caved. Part of me feels a little like FreshFish. They used an actual living head of country as the person they joked about killing. I don't know if any movie has ever done that. It was ill-advised at the very least. I was planning to go see this movie. Will they ever get a chance to show it ever? Weird.
    The joke wouldn't be in killing Kim Jong Un, it would be in the bungling. From the very start, you know that they would fail in the assignment, and escape in some lucky fashion. The movie would make the CIA and American journalists look like idiots and North Korea would still be cast in a bad light. This was going to be a possibly funny movie that had no good guys, unless it fails because either Rogan's or Franco's characters grew a conscience to cause the attempt's failure.

Leave a comment:

• Old Pio
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    When did Neville Chamberlain become the head of Sony?
    Sony's reaction is entirely predictable, it seems to me. What I'm hoping for with all my might is a Christmas miracle directed at the toads in Pyongyang. I mean, really fcuk them up. Perhaps a demonstration of SLBM accuracy. Whatever. Just let them know a fourth rate binju ditch of a country can't get away with that sh*t. And this is one time Uncle Sam won't be grabbing his ankles and saying: "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
    Last edited by Old Pio; 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

I really have to wonder how much money can be made off this film now that these events have gone down... Classic case of wanting something that you can't have....

Your move Sony.... Do you really find any of the "threats" credible?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

This really is a load of bullsht

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    They used an actual living head of country as the person they joked about killing. I don't know if any movie has ever done that. It was ill-advised at the very least. I was planning to go see this movie. Will they ever get a chance to show it ever? Weird.
    I don't think so. The Charlie Chaplin 1940 picture The Great Dictator came close, but changed the names (if not the appearances) of Adolf Hitler/Germany and Benito Mussolini/Italy. As I said, they should have picked a fictional leader, or done a period piece where they kill Saddam Hussein or something. Now they've caved in to terrorists (hackers) and it is open season. These guys can pretty much demand anything now.

What bothers me is that we live in a virtual police state and the government can't track these guys down? International borders don't mean jack (hello Mr Drone).

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

I would have watched the sh*t out of THE INTERVIEW

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Well, Sony has pulled the release. I'm not sure what to think about all this. Part of me is surprised that Sony caved. Part of me feels a little like FreshFish. They used an actual living head of country as the person they joked about killing. I don't know if any movie has ever done that. It was ill-advised at the very least. I was planning to go see this movie. Will they ever get a chance to show it ever? Weird.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

When did Neville Chamberlain become the head of Sony?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    How could a movie like The Interview ever be approved for financing in the first place?

Top Ten in the "what were they thinking??" all time list.

A "comedy" about the assassination of a foreign leader?
    Not really.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Whatever, I don't have a problem with it. **** North Korea and their delicate sensitivities.

There is no way that this is worse than 99% of programming on TLC.
    I was thinking in more general terms, not about North Korea in particular.

No one has to make a "comedy" about North Korea, they do that very well on their own, without even trying....

I can't see how any plot to assassinate any foreign leader would be considered a good idea for a "comedy" by a major movie studio (indie picture, maybe...).

Murder is funny? maybe there are funny movies that involve murder, but the murder itself being the source of humor .... (supposedly we are supposed to laugh at how the NK dictator dies....)? (Arsenic and Old Lace comes to mind as a funny movie involving murder where the murders themselves were not funny).

Even worse, how many genuine American journalists have been jailed and roughed up under "suspicion" of being CIA agents? as if dictators needed a pretext to keep the truth of their regimes from getting out, now this movie plays right into that stereotype. again, w. t. f. were SONY executives thinking (as opposed to an indie picture...)

it is more the overall tastelessness of the concept in general, and not the target country in particular, to which I referred. The fact that NK is upset, who cares? (unless they follow through on their threat to bomb the theaters at which the movie premiers, there have already been some cancellations...)
    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-17-2014, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Team America: World Police?

Awec BAW-win!

MATT DAMON! MATT DAMON!

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

How could a movie like The Interview ever be approved for financing in the first place?

Team America: World Police?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The should have made it a fictional leader.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X