X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Red 2 finally makes its way to hbo in May
    I rented it in December and we're watching RED right now. Both are great fun.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Watched The Butler last night. Overall, I liked the movie. The one thing I wish they would have done is touch on some of the other major world events during the time, that weren't race related. Obviously a huge part of the movie was the civil rights movement, but much more than that happened during the tenure of The Butler. Would have been nice to see something about moon landing, or the Cuban missile crisis, or anything with the USSR. I think it would have added to the movie to touch on those a bit, it wouldn't need more than a mention or 2. Also, the end is a bit anticlimactic, knowing now how much of a complete failure the Obama administration has been.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Just saw it today.

BLOOD EVERYWHERE! BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD! ALL THE BLOOD! And the main villain (the female naval commander) was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face.

Overall, the movie was okay, certain parts were awesome, but the stuff I mentioned above really took away from it. There's a LOT of opportunities for some MST3K-type lines during the movie.
        Yeah, I could see MST3K having a ball with that. Or turn it into a drinking game with all of those blood effects. Crap my liver hurts just thinking about that.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The Hunt. Danish film nominated for best foreign film starring Mads Mikelson (sp?) from Hannibal about a teacher accused of molesting a student. One of the most compelling, moving, gut-wrenching pieces I've seen in a long time. Wonderfully scripted, choreographed and acted. Incredible.

Comment

Hunger Games 2: really good. Follows The Matrix formula so far (haven't read the books). 1st: half dialogue half action. 2nd: mostly dialogue. The 3rd I can only assume all the action.

Looking forward to it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Hunger Games 2: really good. Follows The Matrix formula so far (haven't read the books). 1st: half dialogue half action. 2nd: mostly dialogue. The 3rd I can only assume all the action.

Looking forward to it.
              It's a bummer that they are doing the whole last book gets two movies thing, but I guess that should just be expected now.
              Last edited by state of hockey; 03-16-2014, 10:54 PM.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                It's a number that they are doing the whole last book gets two movies thing, but I guess that should just be expected now.
                As long as the movies are good, do whatever you want. I just thought that they were copying a similar formula in a trilogy/etc, no harm. Just do it well.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Looking forward to it.
                  Really? I just watched it and found it rather boring. I literally didnt care about any of the characters except Peeta and I was hoping he would die so Katniss would stop shouting his name every 20 seconds.

I thought they didnt spend enough time discussing the other winners who were selected and the "end" seemed ridiculously forced. Its like they hit a certain time limit, realized they had to end it so just had Philip Seymour Hoffman say what needed to be said and Thor Jr. tell her the bad news.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Really? I just watched it and found it rather boring. I literally didnt care about any of the characters except Peeta and I was hoping he would die so Katniss would stop shouting his name every 20 seconds.

I thought they didnt spend enough time discussing the other winners who were selected and the "end" seemed ridiculously forced. Its like they hit a certain time limit, realized they had to end it so just had Philip Seymour Hoffman say what needed to be said and Thor Jr. tell her the bad news.
                    Maybe I liked it more because I had just watched 300:Rise the day before, which (in action terms) was the exact opposite of HG2.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Maybe I liked it more because I had just watched 300:Rise the day before, which (in action terms) was the exact opposite of HG2.
                      Handy is taking the contrarian view here. Most People liked Catching Fire. I know the ending seemed clipped, but the book was the same way, setting up the beginning for book/movie 3 and Katniss's confusion being resolved before the action sequences begin.

With the final book being split into two, I expect the third movie to be decent or good, but movie 4 could be really bad if it's not heavily altered from the end of book 3.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Or I actually believed what I said...I know strange flipping concept.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah, I really liked Catching Fire.

Having read the books, I'm not sure why there needs to be two movies (other than a cash grab). Trying to think how they have enough material.

I hope they are able to pull it off and have the next two live up to the first two.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Yeah, I really liked Catching Fire.

Having read the books, I'm not sure why there needs to be two movies (other than a cash grab). Trying to think how they have enough material.

I hope they are able to pull it off and have the next two live up to the first two.
                            Maybe they can add 30 minutes of dwarves running and floating in barrels
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Maybe they can add 30 minutes of dwarves running and floating in barrels

Thanks for reminding me that we have that abomination to look forward to in December.

Comment

Odds on Legolas either swinging from Smaug's tail or surfing his back at some point?

Comment

Working...
                                X