• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    So the movie will now be eligible for the Oscars. It'll be interesting to see how many nominations it gets on January 15...
    You know, I would never encourage a terrorist attack, but talk about an opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It'll show in three Texas cities and a theater in Atlanta. The theater names were not released.
    OK.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

So the movie will now be eligible for the Oscars. It'll be interesting to see how many nominations it gets on January 15...
    At least 12.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sony will now make a limited release of The Interview on Xmas Day.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/medi...html?hpt=hp_t1

It'll show in three Texas cities and a theater in Atlanta. The theater names were not released. It's unknown whether or not Sony will release it for home video.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Sony will now make a limited release of The Interview on Xmas Day.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/medi...html?hpt=hp_t1

It'll show in three Texas cities and a theater in Atlanta. The theater names were not released. It's unknown whether or not Sony will release it for home video.

Now the question becomes, Knowing what the North Koreans did to Sony, would you download or purchase this movie if you thought that the North Koreans might go after those who they know have viewed the movie with more cyberattacks?

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Why do you hate America?!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I dont own any of the Star Wars Prequels.
    Why do you hate America?!

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World again last night.

Man I love this movie. So nerdy, so many references.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah at least this one I will see with my buddy, I had to sit through Hobbit 2: This Time With More Dwarves Running! by myself. These movies just have zero charm...even at the lamest point of LOTR there was a spark of something, some moment of laughter or humanity that made you smile. This one is all Easter Eggs and CGI...just like the Star Wars Prequels. They worried more about getting the "ZOMG ITS SAURON or DATS SHERLOCKS VOICE!!1!!!" reaction than finding a way to engage us.

I agree. the chemistry amongst the characters was real and made the journey so much more than "Look at this cool creature we're fighting!" The first Star Wars trilogy had this too while the second suffers from the same lack of it as the Hobbit(s).

I think the all-cgi backdrops also contribute mightily to the stale feeling.

In LOTR, they went to all of these amazing locations to film while in the Hobbit, the one that's supposed to be in a sunnier, lighter era, it all looks drab and dreary.

Seriously, Jackson got just about everything wrong with this project.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I read the book once and it was several years ago, so I honestly don't remember that.

I remember the ending, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The third Hunger book is definitely the weakest although I didn't hate it.

I actually found the movie to be more engaging than the book, iirc.
    I've not seen the movie yet. My problem with the third book was that the author kept... having Katniss get knocked out at critical junctures of the story only to come around when something momentous had happened. She would contribute heavily to the penultimate moments in a scene, then BAM, she wakes up and the world is entirely different. Using that tactic once or twice would be one thing, and send a strong message to readers about how life can happen, but it just became a crutch and ruined the story, especially at the climax.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Yeah at least this one I will see with my buddy, I had to sit through Hobbit 2: This Time With More Dwarves Running! by myself. These movies just have zero charm...even at the lamest point of LOTR there was a spark of something, some moment of laughter or humanity that made you smile. This one is all Easter Eggs and CGI...just like the Star Wars Prequels. They worried more about getting the "ZOMG ITS SAURON or DATS SHERLOCKS VOICE!!1!!!" reaction than finding a way to engage us.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I know that the Hobbit movie will be a dumpster fire, but i will see it through.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The third Hunger book is definitely the weakest although I didn't hate it.

I actually found the movie to be more engaging than the book, iirc.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

The Battle of the Five Armies is the lowest scoring of the three Hobbit films, scoring 60% on RottenTomatoes, The Desolation of Smaug scored 74%, An Unexpected Journey got 63%. I'm not expecting much out of this, and will wait to see it for free instead of in the theater.

I had trouble staying awake during the first two movies, and that rarely happens to me during a movie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X