X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BCS 2013-14: This space for rent

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    here's something to think about...

Coaches can't really pay attention a huge amount to all the teams, right? We know that already. And what is an easy media for them to have in the background? ESPN.

Who just happens to be starting the SEC network later this month.

hmmmm....

Do any other conference use ESPN to provide a network? I know the B1G does not.

One already sees a pretty big advertising push for SEC schools on the ESPN family. no wonder why they are in the heads of coaches.
    Texas has the Longhorn Network that uses ESPN, but I'm pretty sure Texas forgets they have the Longhorn Network sometimes.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the SEC Network. ESPN has been pumping up the SEC for years now. I do hate the SEC Network, though. Not just because of the endless commercials ESPN has been airing lately, but Musburger has been relegated to doing the late night game on that network, so I'm not sure the next time I'll see him call a game.

I'm reading that SEC Network is getting 1.40 per subscriber in SEC country. The Big Ten in contrast is only getting 1.00 per subscriber in the Big Ten map. I don't know how much of that is going to the actual conference though, because while the Big Ten owns 49% of BTN, it looks like ESPN owns 100% of the SECN.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Coaches Poll is out.

1. FSU
      2. Bama
      3. Oklahoma
      4. Oregon
      5. Auburn
      6. Ohio State
      7. UCLA
      8. Michigan State
      9. South Carolina
      10. Baylor

4 Big Ten teams in the Top 25, as Wisconsin and Nebraska also got voted in.
      Stanford has road games against the #4, #7, #17, #18, and #25 teams. Should be a fun season.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Stanford has road games against the #4, #7, #17, #18, and #25 teams. Should be a fun season.
        Stanford may very well have the hardest schedule in all of college football this year.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          here's something to think about...

Coaches can't really pay attention a huge amount to all the teams, right? We know that already. And what is an easy media for them to have in the background? ESPN.

Who just happens to be starting the SEC network later this month.

hmmmm....

Do any other conference use ESPN to provide a network? I know the B1G does not.

One already sees a pretty big advertising push for SEC schools on the ESPN family. no wonder why they are in the heads of coaches.
          I completely agree that polls are often media driven, etc.. Additionally though, the total Big Ten record in bowls the last decade has been so atrocious. Won a BCS last year though and the PAC 12 and SEC were 0-4 in those bowls last year.

I just hate the freaking SEC.
          AF 99

Comment

Would anybody be up for a Pick 'Em contest this year? Could choose 3 games from each conference or something each week, do just a B1G and Pac 12 pick 'em, etc. (I think most of us are fans of B1G or Pac 12 schools?) Any suggestions?
            AF 99

Comment

My Preseason ACC Predictions

Atlantic Division
              1. Florida State
              2. Clemson
              3. Louisville
              4. Syracuse
              5. N.C. State
              6. Boston College
              7. Wake Forest

Coastal Division
              1. Duke
              2. Miami
              3. North Carolina
              4. Virginia Tech
              5. Pittsburgh
              6. Georgia Tech
              7. Virginia

Florida State over Duke in the ACC Championship Game. (again)
              AF 99

Comment

Steve Spurrier taken out of context.

Look at the headline, then look at the quote. Then do it again. I try to defend the Big Ten as much as anybody but I'm not sure how his quote could be looked at as a diss on the Big Ten. I mean, I'm sure he would never say it's like "playing one of those bottom-feeder SEC schools", but can anyone really argue that ECU is worse than Purdue or Illinois were last year?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Steve Spurrier taken out of context.

Look at the headline, then look at the quote. Then do it again. I try to defend the Big Ten as much as anybody but I'm not sure how his quote could be looked at as a diss on the Big Ten. I mean, I'm sure he would never say it's like "playing one of those bottom-feeder SEC schools", but can anyone really argue that ECU is worse than Purdue or Illinois were last year?
                  ECU is better than the worst teams in all five power conferences.
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    They were 40th in the F+ and 56th in the Sagarin last year, so yeah.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Spurrier publicly stirring the pot - that NEVER happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Spurrier publicly stirring the pot - that NEVER happens.
                        He's the King of all Trolls. Absolutely awesome to listen to him speak.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Last year they were pretty good, ending up at 10-3. The prior 3 seasons they went 6-7, 5-7, and 8-5. Prior to last season their only previous double digit win season in their history was 1991, and they've had some pretty bad seasons, like 2003, where they went 1-11 and 2004 where they went 2-9.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            Last year they were pretty good, ending up at 10-3. The prior 3 seasons they went 6-7, 5-7, and 8-5. Prior to last season their only previous double digit win season in their history was 1991, and they've had some pretty bad seasons, like 2003, where they went 1-11 and 2004 where they went 2-9.
                            And in the last 6 seasons, Colorado's best record was 5-7. I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on this - ECU is easily better than some of the worst teams in the power conferences.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              And in the last 6 seasons, Colorado's best record was 5-7. I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on this - ECU is easily better than some of the worst teams in the power conferences.
                              ?? I'm not hung up on anything. I only made one comment on ECU to temper making them out to be more than they are. They're a decent program that in a good year is certainly better than the bottom of the power conferences. In a bad year, probably not. And they've had some of each.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                                ?? I'm not hung up on anything. I only made one comment on ECU to temper making them out to be more than they are. They're a decent program that in a good year is certainly better than the bottom of the power conferences. In a bad year, probably not. And they've had some of each.
                                Well Spurrier's comment was about this year, and I was talking about this year's ECU team.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X