Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BCS 2013-14: This space for rent

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Not trying to contradict French Rage's fine response at all, but let me toss a completely different approach at you.
    Hey, my one experience so far was very rushed and unique, so I'm not intending it to be the be-all-end-all of what to do. And whether any of my ideas for this year work remains to be seen. The main thing I took from last year was that cabs were very expensive, and a hotel near the airport didn't save anything compared to one downtown, so using the metro hopefully seems like it is a win-win there, though we will see. I can't testify to how driving is, but I figure the metro is cheap and avoids any complications from LA traffic (which perhaps is not as bad as I assume). Giving that getting in and out of the canyon seemed slow, I figured driving in and out would be crazy, so walking/shuttling wouldn't be any worse, and so some combination of metro/shuttles/feet would be the most predictable way to get from my hotel and back. That's interesting if driving isn't as bad as I thought, it may be something to consider for hopefully another year; it sounds like either way, though, you need to wait for some time for the initial rush to clear, but hey, you're at the Rose Bowl, savor it a little.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      ...The main thing I took from last year was that cabs were very expensive, and a hotel near the airport didn't save anything compared to one downtown, so using the metro hopefully seems like it is a win-win there, though we will see. I can't testify to how driving is, but I figure the metro is cheap and avoids any complications from LA traffic (which perhaps is not as bad as I assume).
      In my also limited experience, LA traffic is much less of a problem on holidays. Add in the fact that the parade is an early start, and the freeways were a breeze on the way to Pasadena.

It does need to be mentioned we stayed near Disneyland. Remember, I'm a parent. That gave us the option of using local freeways rather than I-5. (Which, IIRC, should simply be referred to as "The Five.") Said strategy may have resulted in a somewhat longer but more free flowing route.

Giving that getting in and out of the canyon seemed slow, I figured driving in and out would be crazy, so walking/shuttling wouldn't be any worse, and so some combination of metro/shuttles/feet would be the most predictable way to get from my hotel and back. That's interesting if driving isn't as bad as I thought, it may be something to consider for hopefully another year; it sounds like either way, though, you need to wait for some time for the initial rush to clear, but hey, you're at the Rose Bowl, savor it a little.
      We also won, (beating Oregon) so we also did our share of postgame loitering. Similar to your comments on the Badger faithful, the experience with the Duck fans was quite positive. Funny how distance breeds respect, while proximity seems to breed contempt.

Anyhow, the loitering may have been prevented us from putting the outbound traffic flow to a true test. But getting back to the freeway was only a minor problem; and once again the freeways were a breeze.

Last but not least, having the car gave us the option of spending some time at Newport Beach. We didn't go in the water, although others did. Nevertheless, we had a good time hanging out on the piers and checking out the beachfront businesses. As a California resident, this might not be that compelling to you. But we were looking at a 60 degree temperature drop following our return flight, so we certainly savored the 65 degree weather on the beachfront.

Comment

We doing a bowl challenge?
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          We doing a bowl challenge?
          I'm in. I'll set one up tomorrow(later this afternoon).
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            I'm in. I'll set one up tomorrow(later this afternoon).
            espn.com

college bowl mania

join group USCHO

It's a public group with no password. Best of luck everyone!
            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              espn.com

college bowl mania

join group USCHO

It's a public group with no password. Best of luck everyone!
              I would set up a new thread for the bow(e)l challenge. I forgot who usually does it, since it's normally their own project but I bet it'll get more traffic that way.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                I would set up a new thread for the bow(e)l challenge. I forgot who usually does it, since it's normally their own project but I bet it'll get more traffic that way.
                Done.
                AF 99

Comment

Also, if you're looking for a little bit of entertainment from an ex-Hawkeye who has serious character issues, check out the twitter account @coachkoul. DJK got caught up in the Youngstown Boys moment and wants some attention.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ntz-on-twitter
                  AF 99

Comment

Well, Max Bullough, senior captain, nicknamed The Computer because he is so good at reading the offense and making adjustments, has been suspended for violation of team rules. Dantonio said there will be no further comment from the school on the issue.

I thought we would win by 10-14 before. Now it's going to be a one score game by either side.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Well, Max Bullough, senior captain, nicknamed The Computer because he is so good at reading the offense and making adjustments, has been suspended for violation of team rules. Dantonio said there will be no further comment from the school on the issue.

I thought we would win by 10-14 before. Now it's going to be a one score game by either side.
                      Man that's a big blow to MSU.. Dantonio let a guy play 48 hours removed from jail.. I'm not sure what Bullough did, but it must've been bad.
                      AF 99

Comment

Wow, Minn. sucks. They've gone 90?? years without a 10-win season? Tonight they give up a big kickoff return to ensure another meaningless bowl loss. Enough with the Jerry Kill inspiration crap!
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Football teams from this state, LOL.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                            Wow, Minn. sucks. They've gone 90?? years without a 10-win season? Tonight they give up a big kickoff return to ensure another meaningless bowl loss. Enough with the Jerry Kill inspiration crap!
                            Not willing to give Syracuse credit?
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Really mister, no foolin'? You really think we gotta chance now? I gotta tell the team, they weren't even gonna take the flight down.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                Not willing to give Syracuse credit?
                                Syracuse did a good job executing and improved all year long, but they also lost to NW and PSU. MN has zero passing offense and it proved they still have a ways to go.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X