Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BCS 2013-14: This space for rent

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    What if you only had 1 or 2 tickets? That's pretty crazy, sounds like they over-committed what they had.
    Those people were fine. I don't think it would be that big of an issue except they changed the rules literally 8 hours before tickets were supposed to be confirmed. It was assumed people at the top would have their request filled, and then they would continue moving down the priority list until they were gone. Instead they wanted to try to give as many donors/ticket holders a chance to go, which is fine, but not when you change the rules after people have already been booking travel plans.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Herbstreit reports Nick Saban has signed an extension to stay at Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Herbstreit reports Nick Saban has signed an extension to stay at Alabama.
        Yeah, but it's still Nick Saban. That, and $5 will get you a beer...
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          Yeah, but it's still Nick Saban. That, and $5 will get you a beer...
          Reports are than Mack Brown met with the president and AD and will remain the head coach at Texas. Essentially, Nick just parleyed the possibility into a raise at Alabama. I saw on twitter that his salary has gone up some 6000% since he was coaching at Michigan State.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Reports are than Mack Brown met with the president and AD and will remain the head coach at Texas. Essentially, Nick just parleyed the possibility into a raise at Alabama. I saw on twitter that his salary has gone up some 6000% since he was coaching at Michigan State.
            It would be interesting to investiage two things. 1) how many head coaches have less of a salary than the RAISE that Saban just got and 2) how many FB program total coaching staff budget is less than the raise. I'm fairly sure that the budget for the head coach and the rest of the staff at Idaho is less than $2M, but I'd have to check.

At least now we know where some of all that money is going....

Comment

Mack Brown is now stepping down at Texas. He will coach the bowl game.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                It would be interesting to investiage two things. 1) how many head coaches have less of a salary than the RAISE that Saban just got and 2) how many FB program total coaching staff budget is less than the raise. I'm fairly sure that the budget for the head coach and the rest of the staff at Idaho is less than $2M, but I'd have to check.

At least now we know where some of all that money is going....
                How come Occupy does not protest the 1% in College Football? I think it would be fun to have the great unwashed outside the Rose Bowl complaining about the high student activity fees and that the SEC seems to get away with murder.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Mack Brown steps down at Texas.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    How come Occupy does not protest the 1% in College Football? I think it would be fun to have the great unwashed outside the Rose Bowl complaining about the high student activity fees and that the SEC seems to get away with murder.
                    'cause football is just entertainment?

We are also talking people earning $400k on the low end. Other than bruised egos, it's not really hurting anything.

It's more like the .1% being protested by the 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      'cause football is just entertainment?

We are also talking people earning $400k on the low end. Other than bruised egos, it's not really hurting anything.

It's more like the .1% being protested by the 1%.
                      Yeah, if you want something more closer, you're going to have to go look at some really low end D1-AA, D2, or D3 type of programs and then compare that to Saban. Some of those places they run on post game meals being PB&J's they have the kids assemble themselves.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Do you have experience with the Rose Bowl? Please say yes because I have some questions.
                        Not trying to contradict French Rage's fine response at all, but let me toss a completely different approach at you.

I've been to two Rose Bowls. In both cases I considered taking a tour package, but in both cases found I could put together my own deal and beat the price. By a lot. First, since you have a face value ticket, you're already ahead of the game.

Second, I was able to save a good piece of change by avoiding the flights everyone else was taking. In one case I flew into Ontario, the other time, Orange County. (John Wayne) The next piece of the puzzle may surprise you, but I flew out of Chicago O'Hare. Having some Chicago ties, it wasn't all that inconvenient. Maybe there's a second airport that would be convenient enough for you to be worth checking prices. For me, the year I took the wife and kid, it saved me hundreds. But even for just one air ticket, the savings could potentially pay for a rental car. And the taxis are sufficiently expensive, avoiding them could also be seen as paying for a rental.

If you did get a car, it obviously would change the character of the trip. But LA is very spread out, with the various attractions located all over the place. The car would open up options.

That includes lodging options. If you stay somewhere not catering to the football visitors, you'll likely save some additonal $$.

If it fits into your plans at all, you really should do the parade. It's better in person than on TV. If you do have car, you can get to the parade route early enough to get a decent vantage point on the "free" side of the street. Yes, the parade "plays to the bleachers," but it's a great show on either side. And at least on the second half of the parade route, getting free parking is reasonably doable on the free side. (North of Colorado)

After the parade, there's time to grab a quick bite to eat while traffic clears. But then it's time to make your way to the stadium. There's less down time between events than you might think.

Regardless of how you get to Pasadena, you'll likely want to take the shuttle to the stadium. That said, I drove into the Arroyo and parked on the golf course both times. If you linger a while after the game, getting out isn't a particular problem. But getting in requires waiting through a bit of a traffic jam.

How reliable is the public transportation? I don't have a hotel yet (ok I don't actually a flight yet either) but I've been looking at taxi prices and those are pretty high. It's 80 bucks just to get from the airport to Pasadena, which is a hefty cost for a student. Now buses I have some experience with in EL, but nothing on par with LA, is their system easy to get around on?
                        Never used public transportation in LA, but I have to admit FR's description of the Gold Line sounds pretty good. Do post your experience with it if you go that route.

And then gameday. How easy is it to get to the stadium? Will it be a hassle?
                        Again, the shuttle probably gets you in a little faster. Since checking out the Rose Bowl stadium and soaking in the entire atmosphere is a big part of the experience, that's a real factor. I'm guessing that for getting out, the car would be better. But as per FR, maybe waiting in the line for the shuttle is actually part of the fun.

Last but not least, a belated congratulations on your win in the B1G Title Game. Your guys definitely earned the 'W.' Hope the Spartans can finish the job in Pasadena. Best wishes, for both the game and a safe trip.

Comment

Thanks, pgb.

Got the plane ticket booked a couple of days ago actually, going from O'Hare to LAX. Arriving early NYE in LA and leaving late on the 2nd, will get back to Chicago early on the 3rd. As for lodging, haven't figured that one out yet. Two people I thought I was rooming with dropped out of the trip and the other couple guys I'm going to the game with are already in full rooms. Either going to try to sneak in with them, tag along with another student group that's driving in who keep asking for additional people, or there's always living at the train station. All my relatives chose the wrong end of Cali to live on for Rose Bowl lodging.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            Got the plane ticket booked a couple of days ago actually, going from O'Hare to LAX. Arriving early NYE in LA and leaving late on the 2nd, will get back to Chicago early on the 3rd.
                            Glad to hear it. Hope and assume you got a good deal.

They tell me that O'Hare is no longer the world's busiest airport. Be that as it may, it sure offers a lot of options and many times it's the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Glad to hear it. Hope and assume you got a good deal.

They tell me that O'Hare is no longer the world's busiest airport. Be that as it may, it sure offers a lot of options and many times it's the answer.
                              By most standards, they are correct. Atlanta gets that distinguished honor. But O'Hare is certainly still a major airport.

Comment

Living equidistant between O'Hare and DTW is a really helpful thing sometimes. The deal I got was about 200 bucks cheaper than what's been the norm at O'Hare the last week, and about 500 cheaper than the norm at DTW. In fact looking at prices right now and flights out of Detroit are at 1300 cheapest.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X