X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BCS 2013-14: This space for rent

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Way to early to go for two IMO.
    Yeah, especially when they had the lead. Of course, now if Clemson scores a TD, they will likely go for 2 as well.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I think Clemson has the Miami Dolphins Playbook from Tecmo Bowl.
      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        This is a great post to not have any context on.
        It's Millen. How much context do you think you need?
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

This is late but Standford's Band > Michigan Tech's band
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

What a play call for the TD there by Clemson.

Then a weird play call for the 2pt Conversion.

40-35. Of course, it should be 42-37.
            North Dakota

Comment

So the Rose Bowl is the only major bowl with defense this year?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                So the Rose Bowl is the only major bowl with defense this year?
                There's some defense for ya. 3 Huge defensive plays by Clemson this half to be honest.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  There's some defense for ya. 3 Huge defensive plays by Clemson this half to be honest.
                  And 1 gigantic special teams blunder by OSU that gave Clemson momentum.

Alright Tigers, let's score a TD here!
                  North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    And 1 gigantic special teams blunder by OSU that gave Clemson momentum.

Alright Tigers, let's score a TD here!
                    No TD, but how about that game-sealing INT?
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      Our spot was in downtown near Union Station. FlyAway was easy to use to/from LAX and was only $8, and the ride was only 30 minutes. And the Gold Line, while slightly crowded, got us where we needed to for only $5 for the day. Definitely worth it, beats the hell out of cabs, if I was doing it again I would go this way. The area around the hotel wasn't amazing, but I wasn't planning on doing much other than sleep and go to the game. We did a nice bit of walking once we got to Pasadena, from the Memorial stop to the pancakes, from the pancakes to our seats (1500 E Colorado), and then from there all of the way to the stadium.
                      Turns out we were close to the Red Line metro center, but since I was the only one who flew we had a couple rental cars so we just drove. If I was going to do something different I would've spent the cash on the Lakers game NYE, but a few security guards in the Marriott said that nose bleeds are going for 50 bucks a game even with the Lakers being down and without Kobe.

I liked the parade too. We had bleacher seats, so that was nice as we didn't have to stand and fight the pushback. I might do it again, but I also doubt it changes so much year to year so maybe it's not a must-do, especially since sleeping in for the game one of these years would be nice. I agree the walk was looong, longer than it seemed it should be. But hey, exercise is nice and all, and it's mostly downhill, so no big deal ultimately. How did you get back out of the ravine?
                      We followed the route for the shuttles. Well, actually we were pointed the wrong way by the people with shuttle signs over to charter buses rather than the public shuttles so we ended up doing about a mile lap around the parking lots and back. That took us to the train station, which we then took back to Red Line Metro.
                      Definitely a cool looking stadium and definitely great views of the area around there. As with any bowl stadium you're not on top of the action, but if you want that, watch TV I say. I'd say it was more 60% to 65%, they had the majority for sure, but not an overwhelming one; a lot of sections were well mixed and it was hard to get a good count.
                      Most likely some overestimation there on my part. Still, I'd like to think of it as an invasion 26 years in the making.

As for the game, you're a great team and beat us straight up. Both Ds were able to lock down the run and dare the other teams to pass, and you did that while we kept thinking we could force the run. Teams like Oregon want your D, with the size and number to actually stop the run, rather than their attempt to go small and fast.

Can we agree the reffing sucked for both sides though?
                      For the first Rose Bowl in my lifetime, that's exactly what I wanted it to be: an old, traditional, pound pound pound game. Why you guys didn't run more deep passes I have no idea. I think you guys were 5/7 or something like that and one was an interception that was more of a completion followed by a strip.

- One of our better halftime shows in a few years, as it was more coherent than they've been in recent memory. I found it funny how bent out of shape the couch gag got the MSU fans, especially since you guys ended up burning more after the win. :P
                      - Do you guys have some cheer where you mention your colors?? If so, you should consider using it more, instead of relying on such a diverse group of other cheers. :P

Overall, fun experience except for the part where we lost, but we lost to the best, and it gives us ideas on what we can do better and need to work on. And nothing too wrong with losing the Rose Bowl, by a mere 4 points, as it means you made it to the Rose Bowl.
                      Just realized how I wrote it came off wrong. I thought the burned couch thing was hilarious. The script and all the antics just seemed forced. With Tech's band it seems spontaneous but something was different with the LSJUMB and I have no idea what. For the burnings, it's pretty annoying how the other students here think it's a cool tradition. I'd like to see how they would feel about someone setting a couch on fire outside of their house off-campus rather than some apartment complex. I hate the monopoly that's going on for EL student housing as much as the next person but the rioting and burning the couches has to stop.

Go Green Go White is pretty much the only cheer we have that doesn't involve the band, and since the sound had some trouble carrying there it was really all we had. Though a new tradition may have been born. I'm not sure where you were sitting or if you could see the student section but our offensive lineman Travis Jackson did this during the Michigan game and it became a meme. He got it from WWE star Daniel Bryan. Jackson started to do it in the locker room celebrations and some of the band members began doing it during the game after scores. The rest of the student section caught on and after Lippett's touchdown I looked around and noticed alumni in other sections were doing it. In the post game celebration we started to do it again, Travis saw and ran over to lead it himself, which was just awesome. Ok sorry for the links but I think it's hilarious.

Honestly I thought it was a well officiated game. Though we haven't exactly been afforded the best experiences officiating wise in the Big Ten so my quality gauge may be off.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        No TD, but how about that game-sealing INT?
                        Very pleased! Clemson needed that win to consider this year somewhat successful. The Tigers didn't win a national title, didn't win a conference title, didn't beat USC...but at least they won another big bowl game against a top 10 team. Clemson will lose a lot on offense, but should have another very strong recruiting class to help offset some of those losses. That being said, they will be a distant second to FSU in preseason ACC predictions.

But tonight, they won their first Orange Bowl since the '81 National Title year!
                        North Dakota

Comment

So I just caught the last 5 min of the game- which looked like it would be a barn burner since OSU had the ball, and was down 5. Driving.

Alas, the end of the game was a collection of mistakes. Oh, well. I can deal with that.

But in context of what Millen said at the end of the game, lets review: Braxton Miller had a good game, some can say great, but he turned the ball over twice at the end- the last pass being really horrible, since his guy was 10 yards farther down, and would have scored. Anyway, good game, kinda great, but not incredible. Then the Clemson D- granted, they took ball twice in the end, but OSU DID score 35 points, and OSU was moving the ball.

So at the end of the game, Millen commented that Miller had an incredible game. Turning the ball over twice when trying to win the game is incredible? Lets not get too out of hand, Matt. He did really, really well. But incredible was a stretch.

The other comment was how Clemson's D "came to play"- of course implying that they had a great game. Ok, the finish was good. But OSU scored 35 points. Again, Clemson did apaperntly play well, but lets not pretend all of them are going pro next weekend.

Matt- it's pretty obvious you are being a little optimistic for your viewers, but geez, that gets old. Less is more. As in talk less.

Another rant on the analysts- can we please stop about how many of the players are going to "play on Sunday?" I, and I expect most other fans, are watching the game for now, not for next season, not for 2-4 seasons from now when the players run out of eligibility. Or the comments about the players leaving early. I'M WATCHING A COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME, for God's sake. Not an game about the NFL draft, or anything about professional football. Can we please just stay with the current? The line about "we'll see him on Sunday" is old, and not unique. Stop it. It tells me that you can't think on your own.

Anyway, enough with the rant. Looks like I missed a heck of game for 55 min.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Anyway, good game, kinda great, but not incredible...
                            That, along with your entire post, is more than fair. In another forum, I described the game this way:

Originally posted by pgb-ohio
                            Horrible turnovers. Laughably inept penalties. A game both teams tried to give away.
                            Frankly that's still how I feel. But because I prefer to be positive whenever possible, I'll say that the Clemson receivers won the game. That, and both teams did play awfully hard.

No doubt it was entertaining for neutral fans. But it was not a performance worthy of a BCS bowl game. By either team.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              That, along with your entire post, is more than fair. In another forum, I described the game this way:

Frankly that's still how I feel. But because I prefer to be positive whenever possible, I'll say that the Clemson receivers won the game. That, and both teams did play awfully hard.

No doubt it was entertaining for neutral fans. But it was not a performance worthy of a BCS bowl game. By either team.
                              Did Urban quit? Unless there was an error by ESPN the Clemson penalty made it 2nd down and the clock was stopped. OSU had 2 timeouts which would have given them the ball back with 20 seconds left.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Did Urban quit? Unless there was an error by ESPN the Clemson penalty made it 2nd down and the clock was stopped. OSU had 2 timeouts which would have given them the ball back with 20 seconds left.
                                ESPN's graphic was incorrect. OSU had taken their 2nd timeout before Boyd got the first down immediately following the INT. OSU had only one timeout left.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X