Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skiing/Snowboarding 09-10: Go West, Young Man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Skiing/Snowboarding 09-10: Go West, Young Man!

I need to rant, and I think I would get a better response/understanding in this thread than in the Gears thread...

The hill where I work as a snowboard instructor finally got going this weekend. So far, I've worked there Mon-Wed and got 6 lessons in, including requests for the remainder of two separate "Learn to Board" 3 lesson packs.. So all in all, we're off to a good start... The only problem is that there is some new ski instructor that is just flat out p*ssing me off

This guy is a self proclaimed know it all... It's not just in skiing either... No matter what the conversation is about, he has to put his 3 cents in... He's that type of guy... Since all the instructors hang out in a single room trailer, it's kinda hard to avoid this guy in between lessons...

Being instructors, we are always chatting about teaching methods and skiing/riding technique... In these discussions, it's not uncommon for me to be involved in both skiing and boarding talk... And despite not owning a pair of skis at the moment, everyone else has figured out that I do know what I am talking about when it comes to skiing...

Well Mr. Know It All hasn't figured this out yet and holds it against me since he hasn't seen me on skis... He also dismisses me for using my race/alpine knowledge, saying that nothing from snowboarding transfers to skiing... Be cause of this, he argues everything I say in regards to skiing, no matter how trivial it is... I am at the point where I want to just wind up and jack him in the face next time he does it... Now here comes the kicker:

This guy rides some 195cm K2 rockets that are at least 10-15 years old... They have some old Marker "race" bindings on them... Just this year he replaced his 10 year old Nordica ski boots with some 5 year old Salomon boots... This guy is totally out of touch with modern gear, yet wants to talk about good ski technique?

Look, I haven't been on skis since March 2008 and only learned how to ski in January 2007... I only have about 20 days total on skis, but I am pretty sure I can be carving turns with just a few hours of practice. I really want to go and buy a set of skis off of Craigslist for $100 just to shut this dude up... I can't wait to bring the race gear out to the hill once we get some decent coverage so I can show this asshat what a carved turn actually looks like...

I just get so ****ed off when people have a grudge against someone just because of how they choose to ride the snow... The two sports are closer now than ever... This dude needs to realize that HE is the one who is out of touch with the sport...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      I need to rant...out of touch with the sport...
      Next time he *****es at you, ask him why the balls he's skiing at a dirt mound in the middle of Illinois if he's such an expert

Oh, and 1 week til Utah, pretty sure I'm going to wet my pants pretty soon here
      @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
      I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Originally posted by Boosh View Post
        Next time he *****es at you, ask him why the balls he's skiing at a dirt mound in the middle of Illinois if he's such an expert

Oh, and 1 week til Utah, pretty sure I'm going to wet my pants pretty soon here
        That's the funny part... For a dirt mound, we have some very knowledgeable people... Two Level Three Ski Instructors, a Level Two, and Two Level Ones plus 3 Level One Snowboarders and me getting my Level One later this year... For the size of our staff, that's a pretty good collection of people in the know... This guy is just an asshat who seems to think that we don't care just because of where we work at...

Despite not getting many "Advanced" lessons going out, we do know what we are teaching... I feel we are on par with any school in the Midwest (which isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but I digress )
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I'll never understand why so many nerds are so obsessed with snowboarding. Skiing is so much cooler
          Stupid two-planker!

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
          Hmm yeah let me find some time in my schedule to drive 12 hours one way
          If it takes you 12 hours to drive from Fargo to southern WI, you must be driving 40mph. So, in other words, you're a typical WI driver. Nicely done.

That, and all my friends snowboard, so I have to sit at the top of a run and wait til the sun goes down for them to strap on their bindings every time we get off the chairlift
          Sounds like your friends are at least cool.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
          X