Lest We Forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lest We Forget

Monday is Veterans Day here in the US, Remembrance Day in Canada, Great Britain and Commonwealth nations.

Take a moment at 11am to remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice - from the trenches of France to the mountains of Afghanistan. Personally, I think of my Uncle Jack. My mother's brother was a signalman on HMCS Raccoon, an armed yacht torpedoed in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

There are now no living soldiers of the Great War and those of The Greatest Generation are leaving us all to quickly. Among them are the surviving members of the Doolittle Raid.

Known as the Doolittle Raiders, the 80 men who risked their lives on a World War II bombing mission on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor were toasted one last time by their surviving comrades and honored with a Veterans Day weekend of fanfare shared by thousands.

Three of the four surviving Raiders attended the toast Saturday at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. Their late commander, Lt. Gen. James "Jimmy" Doolittle, started the tradition but they decided this autumn's ceremony would be their last.

"May they rest in peace," Lt. Col. Richard Cole, 98, said before he and fellow Raiders -- Lt. Col. Edward Saylor, 93, and Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, 92 -- sipped cognac from specially engraved silver goblets. The 1896 cognac was saved for the occasion after being passed down from Doolittle.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: Lest We Forget

In a bit less than 9 months from now we will remember the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I. About 9 months after that, Col. McCrae gave us this:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

And, let us take heart from the immortal words of our 16th President:
    ...that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I always thought this was very moving only though it was a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IDXtP8Pk94
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

On Memorial Day I think of Lt. Col. Pio, an Army chest cutter in the Pacific who made it possible for many wounded boys to come home, alive.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 11-11-2013, 12:47 AM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I salute those who served. Total respect. Nothing more, nothing less. They are the true heroes.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I salute those who served. Total respect. Nothing more, nothing less. They are the true heroes.
            My brother was in Vietnam, my dad signed up for the Marines after my uncle, his older brother was shot down over English channel, my mom went into the Navy, truly the greatest generation
            A salute to all that have served
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Meet vet Richard Overton. He's spending the day with POTUS. He's 107 and still drinks, smokes and drives.

Hand salute!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/sharei...#axzz2kMyiFcJD
              Last edited by Old Pio; 11-11-2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Vietnam vet spots Purple Heart for sale at flea market. Buys it. But that's just the beginning of the story.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/11/us...art/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X