Favorite Christmas...err, Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Christmas...err, Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Music

Well, 'tis the season, so ITT we discuss our favorite/least favorite Christmas music.

Favorites:

- Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed. My high school band did a Christmas concert every year, and this was unquestionably our most powerful piece. Our director put it on a three-year rotation to ensure that every graduating class got to play it at least once. Guaranteed standing O from the audience, and it made my mom cry.
    - I accept one and only one version of Sleigh Ride: the original Leroy Anderson instrumental arrangement. Any other version is heresy (including tSBFitW's version which is in the wrong key,) and if you play them around me I will beat you with a whipcrack. (Also comes from the Christmas concert, where we played this piece every year while Santa handed out candy canes.)

Least favorites:

- Paul McCartney needs to be hammerpunched for that "Wonderful Christmastime" abortion.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Re: Favorite Christmas...err, Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Music

Frank: Let It Snow

Jesus/Santa: Medley from South Park, lounge style

?: Santa Baby
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      The old version (Eartha Kitt) or the "new" one (Madonna).

"Green Chri$tma$" by Stan Freberg

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        The old version (Eartha Kitt) or the "new" one (Madonna).

"Green Chri$tma$" by Stan Freberg
        Eartha, that's it. Thank you.

And "12 Days Of Christmas" by Bob And Doug
        "Jingle Bells" by The Singing Dogs

and any Weird Al Xmas song.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

If I have to hear that god****ed "Christmas Shoes" song ever again, I'm going to have to choke a *****. I hate that song with all the passion in my body. It is so dumb, it makes me want to run over bunnies in my car. That, and "Grown-up Christmas List." What a crap-fest.

I tend to be a sucker for a sappy Christmas song too...Not sure if it technically counts as a "Christmas Song" but Lindsey Buckingham's "Holiday Road" is awesome

Also:

The obligatory
          ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50IgzksUqpQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50IgzksUqpQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Good song, better movie
          ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LtgYDpvRCMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LtgYDpvRCMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

This one's good too
          ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYLjEItqsWQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYLjEItqsWQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Peggy Lee
          @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
          I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

"Now why the hell are they blinking?!?!?!"
            sigpic

MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
            streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
            TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeybando View Post
              "She's a witch, I hate her!"
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Greensleeves, in whatever capacity it gets used.
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeybando View Post
                  "Fine! You're so smart? You rig up the lights!"

Comment

Originally posted by Boosh View Post
                    The obligatory
                    ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50IgzksUqpQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50IgzksUqpQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                    I think I saw my house. (Most of that footage is from around their store in Ishpeming, with a couple back roads, and the highway next to Teal lake from Ishpeming to Negaunee.)

Comment

Christmas music is full of earworms, but...

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      - I accept one and only one version of Sleigh Ride: the original Leroy Anderson instrumental arrangement.
                      This is a good choice. My high school symphonic band played that arrangement at every Christmas concert, right down to the whipcracks.

I also have a soft spot for John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)".

I used to like Christmas music more, but I've almost completely lost my taste for it, no thanks to radio stations that do 24-hr. marathons from November 1st to midnight on December 26th.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I used to like Christmas music more, but I've almost completely lost my taste for it, no thanks to radio stations that do 24-hr. marathons from November 1st to midnight on December 26th.
                        Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Well, 'tis the season, so ITT we discuss our favorite/least favorite Christmas music.

Favorites:

- Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed. My high school band did a Christmas concert every year, and this was unquestionably our most powerful piece. Our director put it on a three-year rotation to ensure that every graduating class got to play it at least once. Guaranteed standing O from the audience, and it made my mom cry.
                          - I accept one and only one version of Sleigh Ride: the original Leroy Anderson instrumental arrangement. Any other version is heresy (including tSBFitW's version which is in the wrong key,) and if you play them around me I will beat you with a whipcrack. (Also comes from the Christmas concert, where we played this piece every year while Santa handed out candy canes.)

Least favorites:

- Paul McCartney needs to be hammerpunched for that "Wonderful Christmastime" abortion.
                          Instead of Christmas music you made me think about my favorite songs from high school band. I liked Cajun Folk Song by Frank Tichelli, First Suite in E Flat for Military Band by Gustav Holst. Played 2nd Suite in F in college on tuba though and I wasn't a very good tuba player.

Jazz band side, I enjoyed being lead trumpet on Channel One Suite by Buddy Rich. It was as close as possible to the original I think...

Comment

Truth.

(I do make exceptions for people actually caroling in non-contrived situations, or otherwise-awesome pieces like "Christmas Eve in Sarajevo" or "Russian Christmas Music".)

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                            Instead of Christmas music you made me think about my favorite songs from high school band. I liked Cajun Folk Song by Frank Tichelli, First Suite in E Flat for Military Band by Gustav Holst. Played 2nd Suite in F in college on tuba though and I wasn't a very good tuba player.

Jazz band side, I enjoyed being lead trumpet on Channel One Suite by Buddy Rich. It was as close as possible to the original I think...
                            Cajun Folk Song sounds familiar, but it's been about a decade since I would have played it. As for Holst, he was very good to euphonium players and I'm a fan of playing most of his work
                            Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 11-30-2009, 11:03 PM.
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Gp5Vd44AJQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Gp5Vd44AJQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Carol of the bells is my favorite anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X