X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walrus
    replied
    Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

I buy electrical fittings from a company called Killark. They just moved production of mallable(iron) fittings back to the US for cost reasons. Apparently they want to run 3 shifts a day 7 days a week and they can't. Why, they can't get the employees to do it. As a result, no mallable fittings available I have to buy aluminum from China. I doubt its a glamour profession, lots of molten iron, dirty, hot but I'm sure the wages are pretty good and probably union. No takers. I wouldn't be shocked if they moved it back overseas

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Can't fix manufacturing unless you fix the costs. Americans cost a lot. Southeast Asia doesn't.
    Much of manufacturing is going robotic in the US anyway. Plants hire way less people than they used to to produce the same amount of goods.

Costs have curbed because of robotics, shipping costs, and language barriers. Much of manufacturing is coming back.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Can't fix manufacturing unless you fix the costs. Americans cost a lot. Southeast Asia doesn't.
    Buy the Manifesto as I don't give away my genius for free, however China costs are reaching parity with the US. Now some manufacturing can relocate from there to Myanmar and other lovely places, but at some point it costs you too much to keep relocating.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    In Fish's mind, the War on Poverty hurt the poor because suddenly everybody was talking about the poor. Before the War on Poverty there were no poor people, just "temporarily embarrassed millionaires."

It's like the Torture report. The shame isn't the facts in the report, it's the reporting itself. Talking about our poverty EMBOLDENS our poverty!!!
    I think we all know what Fishy desperately needs, so no need to rehash that.

However, wealth gap is a direct result of decline of manufacturing in this country. Those jobs over the last 40 years have been replaced with jobs that 1) pay less, 2) have no benefits, and 3) have no retirement. As The Rover Manifesto points out, this needs to be fixed or the have/have not gap will continue to grow. Fortunately I included some helpful solutions in my publication.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X