• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Liz on TPP and her disagreement with the President. Interesting

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...tid=HP_opinion
    Good read; thanks.

So, what's the deal with Obama wanting fast track? It's obvious why the corporations want it, but Obama's never running for anything ever again. What's his incentive for giving them a huge payout?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Good read; thanks.

So, what's the deal with Obama wanting fast track? It's obvious why the corporations want it, but Obama's never running for anything ever again. What's his incentive for giving them a huge payout?
      $750,000 speaking fees as of 1/21/17. He wants to outpoint Bill.

WaPo is ganging up. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...e81_story.html
      Last edited by joecct; 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

$750,000 speaking fees as of 1/21/17. He wants to outpoint Bill.

WaPo is ganging up. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...e81_story.html
        Obama's criticisms of Warren are interesting in that in reading the two of them I come to the opposite conclusion: he is not offering anything of substance, while she has both made her case and also given him the opportunity of making his by declassifying the deal's terms and laying it out in the light of day.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Obama's criticisms of Warren are interesting in that in reading the two of them I come to the opposite conclusion: he is not offering anything of substance, while she has both made her case and also given him the opportunity of making his by declassifying the deal's terms and laying it out in the light of day.
          Now it's Liz and Rose. This is getting to be fun.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2...d0K/story.html
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I think this will be the last trade deal pushed by a Democrat. While I don't know all the intricacies of this particular deal, it seems by going to Nike Obama is making the case that this deal will get American consumers cheaper products. That is no longer a valid tradeoff for losing American jobs. Crappy Mao-Mart products are already cheap enough. Saving another 10 cents on them by making it easier to use Vietnamese slave laborers instead of Chinese ones is a dead argument.

With all of these trade deals, I'd really like to see an analysis of how many jobs and which jobs are supposedly being created. Until that comes I'm behind Warren in opposing this deal. You just can't take on faith that this will all work out, especially when dealing with countries with no wage standards (as opposed to say and EU trade pace which I could live with more easily).
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Yard sale pickup

@nytimes: Breaking News: Verizon to Buy AOL for $4.4 Billion
              http://nyti.ms/1cMUNXt
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Good read; thanks.

Not really getting the hate on this. Just because somethings good for the 1% (or more accurately 20%) doesn't automatically mean its bad for the US. The agreement covers competition, co-operation and capacity building, cross-border services, customs, e-commerce, environment, financial services, government procurement, intellectual property, investment, labour, legal issues, market access for goods, rules of origin, sanitary and phytosanitary standards, technical barriers to trade, telecommunications, temporary entry, textiles and apparel, trade remedies. Doesn't sound horrible.

US is not manufacturing hand towels. It is producing intellectual property, web businesses, etc. Our competitive advantage is at the top of the food chain and that's where we should be adding jobs. Not cheap manufacturing. And our world beating creative industries desperately need property rights and arbitration as internet businesses, services, content and tech have been getting stolen or forged for decades. This agreement helps police that. Helping encourage business growth aimed at our 21st century advantages does seem like a win for the US.

And helping smaller Asian countries while isolating China is not all bad either. I'm not at all for tax cuts for the rich, but reality is not always a zero sum game.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Yard sale pickup

@nytimes: Breaking News: Verizon to Buy AOL for $4.4 Billion
                  http://nyti.ms/1cMUNXt
                  Slowly but surely, we're putting Ma Bell back together for the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Slowly but surely, we're putting Ma Bell back together for the 21st century.
                    I don't want investment banks and commercial banks operating under the same umbrella and I don't want telecoms and content creators operating under the same umbrella. Neither are good for the consumer or the country.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I don't want investment banks and commercial banks operating under the same umbrella and I don't want telecoms and content creators operating under the same umbrella. Neither are good for the consumer or the country.
                      It's really really really awesome for the 1% though. And really isn't that all that matters?
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        It's really really really awesome for the 1% though. And really isn't that all that matters?
                        Today? Pretty much. Which is why I'd like to see Glass–Steagall reenacted in full and similar legislation on media creation, content, delivery, and that entire process. No one should own the actors, studios, broadcast rights, content distribution, and everything else in between.

It scares me* when someone owns everything between the camera lens and the glass on my television.

* and it may be completely unfounded and paranoid, but it seems wrong on the face of it...
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Not really getting the hate on this. Just because somethings good for the 1% (or more accurately 20%) doesn't automatically mean its bad for the US. The agreement covers competition, co-operation and capacity building, cross-border services, customs, e-commerce, environment, financial services, government procurement, intellectual property, investment, labour, legal issues, market access for goods, rules of origin, sanitary and phytosanitary standards, technical barriers to trade, telecommunications, temporary entry, textiles and apparel, trade remedies. Doesn't sound horrible.

US is not manufacturing hand towels. It is producing intellectual property, web businesses, etc. Our competitive advantage is at the top of the food chain and that's where we should be adding jobs. Not cheap manufacturing. And our world beating creative industries desperately need property rights and arbitration as internet businesses, services, content and tech have been getting stolen or forged for decades. This agreement helps police that. Helping encourage business growth aimed at our 21st century advantages does seem like a win for the US.

And helping smaller Asian countries while isolating China is not all bad either. I'm not at all for tax cuts for the rich, but reality is not always a zero sum game.
                          These are all good points and all the more reason to conduct the negotiations with greater transparency. If as you are suggesting it's a win-win, then by all means let us all see how we're going to win. Insisting on fast track prior to declassification is playing Monty Hall with the economy. I'm not taking what's behind the curtain.

It's not as if transnational corporations and Big Finance have given us a reason to be suspicious of them or anything...
                          Cornell University

Comment

This is why I've always said: Verizon: Terrific if you're an investor, horrible if you're a customer. Given the rural portfolio and who would still use AOHell, the merger does make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              According to this study, it literally is all that matters.

Each of four theoretical traditions in the study of American politics—which can be characterized as theories of Majoritarian
                              Electoral Democracy, Economic-Elite Domination, and two types of interest-group pluralism, Majoritarian Pluralism and Biased
                              Pluralism—offers different predictions about which sets of actors have how much influence over public policy: average citizens;
                              economic elites; and organized interest groups, mass-based or business-oriented.
                              A great deal of empirical research speaks to the policy influence of one or another set of actors, but until recently it has not been
                              possible to test these contrasting theoretical predictions against each other within a single statistical model. We report on an effort
                              to do so, using a unique data set that includes measures of the key variables for 1,779 policy issues.
                              Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial
                              independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no
                              independent influence. The results provide substantial support for theories of Economic-Elite Domination and for theories of
                              Biased Pluralism, but not for theories of Majoritarian Electoral Democracy or Majoritarian Pluralism.
                              We are no longer a democracy. That's not a rhetorical statement, it's an actual fact. All that stuff we learned growing up about being a country where the people rule is no longer true. We have been made into a feudal society.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 05-12-2015, 10:37 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Today? Pretty much. Which is why I'd like to see Glass–Steagall reenacted in full and similar legislation on media creation, content, delivery, and that entire process. No one should own the actors, studios, broadcast rights, content distribution, and everything else in between.

It scares me* when someone owns everything between the camera lens and the glass on my television.

* and it may be completely unfounded and paranoid, but it seems wrong on the face of it...
                                Then flip the station. Either that or cut the cord. Is it any wonder why people are doing that in droves?

Comment

Working...
                                X