X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Regarding California's water "problems," one fix that probably would work would be to charge people based on how much water they use. They don't do that now, instead it is a political dogfight free-for-all over who can get the most subsidized water usage at the expense of everyone else.
    Oh, my GOD. A Carbon Tax. What a fantastic idea.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Oh, my GOD. A Carbon Tax. What a fantastic idea.
      ...although farmers, who are the greatest users, are exempt, so it really doesn't do anything. And to those whining about where food comes from, you can apply the lesson from Matthew 7:26 here as well. Only a fool would farm in a desert.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        ...although farmers, who are the greatest users, are exempt, so it really doesn't do anything. And to those whining about where food comes from, you can apply the lesson from Matthew 7:26 here as well. Only a fool would farm in a desert.
        Well, then the tax doesn't work. Farmers should not be exempt. I hear Almonds eat up water like crazy and I would not say Almond farming is on the critical path for sustenance.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well, then the tax doesn't work. Farmers should not be exempt. I hear Almonds eat up water like crazy and I would not say Almond farming is on the critical path for sustenance.
          Welcome to the joy of lobbying.

Comment

On Bill Maher the stat was 1 gallon of water per almond.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Yeah, I saw that episode. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                NPR had a water/ag expert on from California, a professor at one of the schools there. Blueberries, which largely come from CA, take 45 gallons per berry. I thought I misheard him, and the show's host asked him to confirm, and that's the figure he repeated.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm not sure I buy that.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I'm not sure I buy that.
                    me, neither. Cranberries, perhaps, since they grow in bogs, but not blueberries. Sounds like someone just made up a meme to see if it would travel.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      me, neither. Cranberries, perhaps, since they grow in bogs, but not blueberries. Sounds like someone just made up a meme to see if it would travel.
                      Berries certainly have a lot of water content to them. 45 gallons per berry seems a bit excessive. Per bush is believeable.

Comment

I decided to research it a little - slow day in the office - and this is the closest thing I could find to how much water growing blueberries requires.
                        Blueberries, because they are shallow-rooted, do require more water than most fruits so the surface roots do not dry out. Blueberries respond best to quality (deep) watering rather than keeping the surface moist. Water will move to the surface.
                        43 gallons still seems high, but given that it's a shallow-rooted plant that does require a fair amount of moisture, you might have to lay down 43 gallons of water (again, seems high), but it's not all going into the plant.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It may not have been just made up out of thin air. It may be the result you get when you divide the amount of water used in cultivation of blueberries by the number blueberries you get back. The 45 gallons may then be the "cost" of a blueberry but they didn't actually all go to the one blueberry -- most was probably wasted.

I'm sure the numbers get huge when you start trying to calculate the externalities of most products. The lesson I'd take from that is that producers who are able to pawn off such large resource costs on the community are welfare queens. Your lesson is likely different.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My lesson is to check the math...

564.4M lbs of blueberries produced in the US / 6 lbs/ gal = 94M gal. Average blueberry diameter of 10 mm with a close-spherical packing factor of 0.74 means 2675 blueberries/gal, for a total of 252B blueberries. At 45 gal per berry, that would be 11,300T gallons of water needed.

Total US water usage in a year is estimated at 400T gallons, about 30x less than the above calculation shows would be needed just to produce blueberries.

tl;dr: Not. Even. Freaking. Close.

I'm not citing my references, but feel free to check - nearly all came from USDA and other government sources.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I decided to research it a little - slow day in the office - and this is the closest thing I could find to how much water growing blueberries requires.

43 gallons still seems high, but given that it's a shallow-rooted plant that does require a fair amount of moisture, you might have to lay down 43 gallons of water (again, seems high), but it's not all going into the plant.
                              I wonder how big a difference it would make if they used soaker hoses instead of sprinklers in agriculture (unless they already do, what do I know?)

In our 200 sq ft garden, we switched to soaker hoses several years ago and the difference is substantial: only the beds get watered, not the path; and there is no evaporation off the leaves. Running the hose for a shorter period of time leaves the ground around the roots wetter.

Of course, to get them to switch from sprinklers to hoses on those giant fields they have, you'd need a substantial economic incentive, which means that if you charged market prices for water, you'd have a strong incentive to reduce usage, making the systems pay for themselves pretty quickly. Absent market prices for water, why bother: lobbyists are cheaper in the long run.
                              Last edited by FreshFish; 04-15-2015, 03:56 PM.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I've heard a pound of steak requires over 1,000 gallons of water to produce. Screw taking shorter showers, if you want to conserve water cut your meat consumption.

While they don't have enough water in California I have so much ground water it is gushing out the top of my well non-stop. I wonder how much would come out if I took the cap off. In the summer it only comes out after a rainstorm. In the spring it's a constant stream from around the well cap.

Comment

Working...
                                X