X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The company made some changes a few years ago in repsonse to institutional investors because Wells Fargo's expense ratio was around 60% of revenue. Most banks have ratios near 60%. Upon learning that, management had no choice other than to meet industry standards or risk being sued by its investors.
    Which is horsecrap, because the law regarding fiduciary duties allows for goals beyond simply "maximizing shareholder value." That only became common place in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Which is horsecrap, because the law regarding fiduciary duties allows for goals beyond simply "maximizing shareholder value." That only became common place in the 80's.
      In many ways I think you're right, but when the institutional investors tell you that they're looking for an expense ratio inline with the other big players, executive management is likely to comply rather than run the lawsuit risk. I hear those become expensive.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My favorite line was, "The only responses that have been provided thus far is the bank simply defending its compensation philosophy (with no attempt at compromise), as well as limiting who we can and cannot email within the organization. These are not acceptable responses," Oates wrote in a new letter. "

Lolol. Those are perfectly reasonable responses. Welcome to the real world.

Compromise. Lol.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How would an email like this have gone over with your employer?

The Wells Fargo employee who emailed the CEO asking for a $10K raise for his colleagues has quit
          Don't want what you're getting? Find someone else who will give you what you want. Oh, and if you look while you still have a job with me, I'm citing you for unprofessionalism.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Don't want what you're getting? Find someone else who will give you what you want. Oh, and if you look while you still have a job with me, I'm citing you for unprofessionalism.
            Yep. They usually have you by the balls. Still, some employees manage to take advantage of their situation. A couple of my co-workers just did that and left me holding the bag. Sucks when your co-workers quite without any notice and they're relied on as part of the team. Still, that's life and that's business.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Are you saying that as an employer you're not willing to negotiate with your employees? And if they're looking at potential new opportunities while at home you're going to punish them for it? What if they're looking for another position within your own company?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Are you saying that as an employer you're not willing to negotiate with your employees? And if they're looking at potential new opportunities while at home you're going to punish them for it? What if they're looking for another position within your own company?
                Depends on the employee if I want to negotiate. Labour is an expense in terms of business. Every day, market entities place a monetary value on everything for which a trade is sought. If the bidder feels the price is too high compared to its value, they won't bid.

As for professionalism with regards to one's employment, that's just a matter of culture. In the sports world, coaches have to get permission from their respective board to interview for other jobs, and there are boards that won't allow that.

Comment

Just don't expect any loyalty from either capital or labor. And for God's sake not from management.

I really like my current job, but -- I'm always looking, and I always have an eye on resume building and networking when I choose projects. Nobody in management or ownership gives a crap about you and you owe them nothing. The second you become cost sub-optimal they will put a bullet in your head. Just bear that in mind and you'll be fine.

It's nothing personal, Sonny. It's just business.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Just don't expect any loyalty from either capital or labor. And for God's sake not from management.

I really like my current job, but -- I'm always looking, and I always have an eye on resume building and networking when I choose projects. Nobody in management or ownership gives a crap about you and you owe them nothing. The second you become cost sub-optimal they will put a bullet in your head. Just bear that in mind and you'll be fine.

Yep. This whole, "doing what's best for me" is fine as long as employers acknowledge that it goes both ways and don't act butthurt when you give your two weeks because you've found something better.

Comment

Loyalty is a sin in the millennial's morality code. It implies complacency and a belief that things cannot get better. Anything's possible and things can always get better. The trick is to not cross the line into avarice.

Comment

Loyalty is a sin in the millennial's Capitalist morality code.
                        It has nothing to do with Millenials. As long as we live inside this economic system, we do what we must.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It has nothing to do with Millenials. As long as we live inside this economic system, we do what we must.
                          No, my point still stands. Generations before us are quite brand loyal.

Comment

Loyalty begins and ends with every paycheck. Once that's clear, neither party owes the other anything.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't know, I'm quite loyal to my company. I also have a CBA, good wage, a pension plan, and good health benefits...
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Make yourself invaluable to your employer, and things tend to work out just fine. I don't get the hubbub about what this guy did, and the bank's lack of a response. You want a raise? Make a case for it, based on your accomplishments and contributions to your employer. This guy asked for a raise based on no merit whatsoever, trying to game the system by ensuring the whole world was watching, in a lame attempt to force the hand of his employer. I think it's just great that they didn't even bother to respond.

Comment

Working...
                                X