This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Fishy its called "surivorship bias" and yes you need to pay attention to it when comparing historical returns. Furthermore your index beating friend tapped into a trick known the world over for portfolio managers. Buy the S&P, dump Sears lets say and overweight Apple. Voila! I've beaten my benchmark! Give me all your money, baby!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I love the apple steeple comments. I don't like Apple products for the most part but the iPhone is the best phone on the planet. It just works. Everyone I know who switches from droid says the same thing, "while I don't like that I can't do X anymore, I love that my phone is stable and works when I need it to."
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Cheese!!

@nbcwashington: BREAKING: Kraft Foods Group and H.J. Heinz have announced that they will merge to create The Kraft Heinz Co. http://bit.ly/1xy0YYk
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Cheese!!

@nbcwashington: BREAKING: Kraft Foods Group and H.J. Heinz have announced that they will merge to create The Kraft Heinz Co. http://bit.ly/1xy0YYk
          I know a lot of people already like to put ketchup on their mac and cheese, so are we going to see ads specifically featuring that disgusting taste?
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Only a matter of time before this comes to the USA... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-2...posits/6355662

Comment

Interesting discussion of what constitutes true middle class in the Comments.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

$121k to be considered out of the middle class in Minnesota? That seems crazy low.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  $121k to be considered out of the middle class in Minnesota? That seems crazy low.
                  It's state-wide, remember. I would guess the Norwegian bachelor farmers in the rural towns aren't exactly killin' it.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    It's state-wide, remember. I would guess the Norwegian bachelor farmers in the rural towns aren't exactly killin' it.
                    Similarly true in NYS.

Comment

Yeah, leave it to us Norwegian bachelor engineers to bring everyone else up.
                      Code:

Comment

How would an email like this have gone over with your employer?

The Wells Fargo employee who emailed the CEO asking for a $10K raise for his colleagues has quit
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The Wells Fargo employee who emailed the CEO asking for a $10K raise for his colleagues has quit
                          It wouldn't have. It's not about being right it's about doing right. Think I heard that during a Law and Order episode. Unrelated to this issue, but it still works.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

It's a great world without unions.
                            Cornell University

Comment

It's a great world without unions.
                              Unions have never been in the banking, finance or insurance industries. That point is moot here.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                It wouldn't have. It's not about being right it's about doing right. Think I heard that during a Law and Order episode. Unrelated to this issue, but it still works.
                                The company made some changes a few years ago in repsonse to institutional investors because Wells Fargo's expense ratio was around 60% of revenue. Most banks have ratios near 50%. Upon learning that, management had no choice other than to meet industry standards or risk being sued by its investors.

ETA: fixing my percentage values.
                                Last edited by St. Clown; 04-07-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X