X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So why don't sensible Dems talk to Gov. Drayton about taking on the Clinton machine?
    Why? We need to bring Scott Walker to the White House. He'll protect me from ISIS, cause I'm afraid.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So why don't sensible Dems talk to Gov. Drayton about taking on the Clinton machine?
      The rest of the nation is unlikely to elect into office someone who's even worse than W at giving speches, or who's been caught clueless on so many different issues. (The Wilfs' pending lawsuits during the Vikings public stadium financing debates and later when the guilty verdict came down is a perfect example.)
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

To our Arizona friends: Don't claim pot as a medical expense. http://ktar.com/22/1814903/Medical-m...ble-in-Arizona

Comment

Raise the interest rates!?!?!?
          http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2...VHJ/story.html
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There's actually a good point that it hurts lower incomes. The quickest way for someone to gain wealth is to not spend it. Federal reserve policy of low interest rates and 2% annual inflation has one goal in mind: the movement of money.

Comment

Libertarian fantasyland opinion. From the writer's organization via wikipedia:

"The American Principles Project (APP) is a 501(c)(3) think tank founded in 2009 by Robert George and Jeff Bell.[2] APP promotes a combination of libertarian and social conservative policies.[3] It is chaired by Sean Fieler.[3]

While opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage, APP largely focuses on promoting immigration reform, opposing the Common Core curriculum, and defending religious liberty.[4][5][6] They have also advocated for monetary reform by suggesting a return to the gold standard.[7][8]

Following the Republican Party's post-2012 election review, in which the GOP suggested de-emphasizing social issues, a conservative advocacy group affiliated with the American Principles Project published a report detailing the importance of social issues to the Republican Party. The report pointed out that Republicans ran almost exclusively on economic issues during the 2012 election to lackluster effect.[9] CNN has described the American Principles Project as "a unique Republican group that bridges the ideas of social conservatives and libertarians."[10]"

When I was in grad school there's two things we were taught. 1) There's no inside info in the market (this was pre-Enron) and 2) Alan Greenspan is God. If it was sunny out, its thanks to Greenspan raising rates. If it rains, it would have been worse had Greenspan not raised rates.

Well, time has shown Greenspan and his policies to be a fraud. From sitting around with his thumb up his @ ss during the loose credit era (where the problem was the standards for getting loans, not the rates) to endorsing the ridiculous Bush tax cuts that blew a hole in the deficit reduction that had been achieved, the guy was a joke.

I mention this because if you owned a small business, which my family did for a time, increasing rates kills you. It halts expansion and hurts job growth. Someone tucked away in a think tank away from the real world might not get this, but anybody dealing with reality knows it all too well.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Libertarian fantasyland opinion. From the writer's organization via wikipedia:

"The American Principles Project (APP) is a 501(c)(3) think tank founded in 2009 by Robert George and Jeff Bell.[2] APP promotes a combination of libertarian and social conservative policies.[3] It is chaired by Sean Fieler.[3]

While opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage, APP largely focuses on promoting immigration reform, opposing the Common Core curriculum, and defending religious liberty.[4][5][6] They have also advocated for monetary reform by suggesting a return to the gold standard.[7][8]

Following the Republican Party's post-2012 election review, in which the GOP suggested de-emphasizing social issues, a conservative advocacy group affiliated with the American Principles Project published a report detailing the importance of social issues to the Republican Party. The report pointed out that Republicans ran almost exclusively on economic issues during the 2012 election to lackluster effect.[9] CNN has described the American Principles Project as "a unique Republican group that bridges the ideas of social conservatives and libertarians."[10]"

When I was in grad school there's two things we were taught. 1) There's no inside info in the market (this was pre-Enron) and 2) Alan Greenspan is God. If it was sunny out, its thanks to Greenspan raising rates. If it rains, it would have been worse had Greenspan not raised rates.

Well, time has shown Greenspan and his policies to be a fraud. From sitting around with his thumb up his @ ss during the loose credit era (where the problem was the standards for getting loans, not the rates) to endorsing the ridiculous Bush tax cuts that blew a hole in the deficit reduction that had been achieved, the guy was a joke.

I mention this because if you owned a small business, which my family did for a time, increasing rates kills you. It halts expansion and hurts job growth. Someone tucked away in a think tank away from the real world might not get this, but anybody dealing with reality knows it all too well.
                Uhhh... libertarians are not against gay marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

I believe Rand Paul is personally opposed, to name a prominent one.

"Asked whether he would support a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman, Sen. Rand Paul said Wednesday he supports the idea of traditional marriage but thinks Washington shouldn't be involved in the issue"

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/07/is...e-it-both-ways

So he's okay with banning gay marriage, he just wants all the states to do it individually? Great. A real profile in courage there.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I believe Rand Paul is personally opposed, to name a prominent one.

"Asked whether he would support a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman, Sen. Rand Paul said Wednesday he supports the idea of traditional marriage but thinks Washington shouldn't be involved in the issue"

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/07/is...e-it-both-ways

So he's okay with banning gay marriage, he just wants all the states to do it individually? Great. A real profile in courage there.
                    You missed the point. The point is that Washington shouldn't be involved. It's called decreasing federal power. You're so fixated on having things a certain way and whining when you don't get it that you can't take responsibility for your own actions. This is why we have the fascist dictatorship we have today.

Comment

Oh yeah, because $15/hour minimum wage is just TERRIFIC. http://www.westernjournalism.com/15-...H3lC8c3yJsw.97

Comment

You missed the point. The point is that Washington shouldn't be involved. It's called decreasing federal power. You're so fixated on having things a certain way and whining when you don't get it that you can't take responsibility for your own actions. This is why we have the fascist dictatorship we have today.
                        Fascist dictatorships aside basic rights aren't up to states. That's why states can't bar blacks and whites from marrying for example. Now you might support Alabama banning interracial marriage for example if they chose to do so, but for the rest of us normal people that would be sorta Talibanesque.

Look on the bright side though. I'm sure the SCOTUS will side with you guys on this one, right?

Comment

Fascist dictatorships aside basic rights aren't up to states. That's why states can't bar blacks and whites from marrying for example. Now you might support Alabama banning interracial marriage for example if they chose to do so, but for the rest of us normal people that would be sorta Talibanesque.

Look on the bright side though. I'm sure the SCOTUS will side with you guys on this one, right?
                          Congratulations on proving my point, federalist. BTW, based upon the hierarchy of political parties in our history, that would make you a republican.

Comment

Congratulations on proving my point, federalist. BTW, based upon the hierarchy of political parties in our history, that would make you a republican.
                            Not sure you have a point to prove Flaggy expect for the one I discussed earlier that got you so upset. I can live with being a Lincoln Republican. Its the modern day knuckledragging I can do without!

Comment

Not sure you have a point to prove Flaggy expect for the one I discussed earlier that got you so upset. I can live with being a Lincoln Republican. Its the modern day knuckledragging I can do without!
                              Actually, you did prove a point. You didn't like how a particular state did business, so instead of going to a state that you preferred, you whined to the feds about it until you got your way.

Comment

Not that simple. There has always been a strong Christian wingnut subset to the Lib movement. The long-beards running the Ur-Lib July 4 party conventions that used to be televised on PBS used to be split right down the middle between the "anti-abortion, prayer in schools, ACLU bad, home school your kids to keep them from ever meeting black people" yahoos and the "minarchist, abolish the FDA, ACLU good, Ayn Rand is the love of my life" venture cap azz-hats. The former hated the gayz because JESUS WEPT!!!11!. The latter believed the govt should leave the gays alone because the govt should leave everybody alone.

There is no single Libertarian voice on gay marriage the way there is on say guns (yay!) or taxes (boo!).
                                Last edited by Kepler; 03-17-2015, 09:22 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X