• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

More:

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/republ...bt-limit-hike/

House Republicans are totally useless..
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

So let me make sure I have this right:

1) If Boehner puts up a debt ceiling fight, then he's a putz because there were never supposed to be fights over the debt ceiling and we just need to pay our bills.
      2) If Boehner doesn't put up a debt ceiling fight, then he's a putz for turtling and it's a major defeat for the GOP.

Does that pretty much sum up your view?
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

1) If Boehner puts up a debt ceiling fight, then he's a putz because there were never supposed to be fights over the debt ceiling and we just need to pay our bills.
        2) If Boehner doesn't put up a debt ceiling fight, then he's a putz for turtling and it's a major defeat for the GOP.

Yes. Essentually you have it. I think the medical term is "you reap what you sow". Two years ago, Boner, McConnell, Ryan etc were all telling in public that there's a new Boner Rule now where every dollar of debt ceiling hikes needs to be matched by spending cuts. What happened to all that bravado? If people like yourself are going to hold Obama to his statements, is it so unfair to hold Republicans to theirs as well? Or do you prefer to have one set of rules for conservatives and another for everyone else?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

How can you see it any other way?

He's directly involved in passing the laws that cause the bills to come due that increases the debt ceiling. He's also the same moron that whines incessantly about attaching crap to the debt ceiling.

He created the lose lose here, no one else.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            How can you see it any other way?

He's directly involved in passing the laws that cause the bills to come due that increases the debt ceiling. He's also the same moron that whines incessantly about attaching crap to the debt ceiling.

He created the lose lose here, no one else.
            I think Lynah got a warning letter from CPAC or something, and now he's trying to prove his bona fides out here as a conservative in good standing. Boner made the statement, now he has to live with it. I thought we weren't going to raise the debt ceiling without massive spending cuts primarily to Medicare and other entitlements. I'm just taking the dude at his word.

Comment

Finally! Someone on the Federal Reserve Board recognizes the obvious!

this week's most important speech from the Federal Reserve system came last night in Texas. Before a gathering of financial executives, Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher quantified how much money the central bank has been pumping into the economy. Mr. Fisher said that total reserves of depository institutions "have ballooned from a precrisis level of $43 billion to $2.5 trillion." He added that "the amount of money lying fallow in the banking system is 60 times greater now than it was at year-end 2007. One is hard pressed to argue that there is insufficient money available for businesses to put people back to work."

"It is my firm belief," he continued, " that the fault in our economy lies not in monetary policy but in a feckless federal government that simply cannot get its fiscal and regulatory policy geared so as to encourage business to take the copious amount of money we at the Fed have created and put it to work creating jobs and growing our economy. Fiscal policy is not only 'not an ally of U.S. growth,' it is its enemy. If the fiscal and regulatory authorities that you elect and put into office to craft taxes, spending and regulations do not focus their efforts on providing incentives for businesses to expand job-creating capital investment rather than bicker with each other for partisan purposes, our economy will continue to fall short and the middle-income worker will continue being victimized, no matter how much money the Fed prints." [emphasis added]
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I saw an intriguing idea proposed regarding the debt ceiling: abolish it entirely, and instead have Congress vote on each proposed new bond issue, like they did for 120 years until 1917.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Fishy, what happened during the Bush administration, when we were cutting regulation and taxes? Did that lead to the greatest expansion ever or the worst recession since the Great Depression? Maybe you can refresh our memories....

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Fishy, what happened during the Bush administration, when we were cutting regulation and taxes? Did that lead to the greatest expansion ever or the worst recession since the Great Depression? Maybe you can refresh our memories....

Never happen. Any company can go to Asia and run their business cheaper, faster if that's what they want. And no amount of money free up or regulation changes is going to change that. So, let Fishy pretend that's the case and continue to live in LA LA Land, buy as we know it's just not reality.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                      [Mr.] Fish, what happened during the Bush administration, when we were cutting regulation and taxes? Did that lead to the greatest expansion ever or the worst recession since the Great Depression?
                      Sorry, I don't have Mr. Fisher's phone number on speed dial.

If you want, you can write to him at:

Mr. Richard Fisher
                      Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
                      2200 N. Pearl St.
                      Dallas, TX 75201

You might try sending him an email at richard.fisher@dallasfed.org. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Dear Mr. Fisher:

I have some questions for you regarding your speech on February 11, 2014....

It's kind of amusing how, when anyone says anything critical of The Anointed One, your response is, "so what? other people are even worse!" You do realize, don't you, that you are implicitly acknowledging that the original criticism is indeed well-founded, and you are merely trying to distract attention away from that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Mr. Richard Fisher
                        2200 N. Pearl St.
                        Dallas, TX 75201

You might try sending him an email at richard.fisher@dallasfed.org. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Dear Mr. Fisher:

Oh please. If you believe he was merely "recognizing the obvious," you should be able to explain it since it is so obvious.

So go ahead. We're waiting.
                        Last edited by unofan; 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

It's kind of amusing how, when anyone says anything critical of The Anointed One, your response is, "so what? other people are even worse!" You do realize, don't you, that you are implicitly acknowledging that the original criticism is indeed well-founded, and you are merely trying to distract attention away from that?
                          What happened to your so called "respecting the office, if not the man," Mr I'm - an - independent- and - not -a- partisan - hack?

Anointed one doesn't strike me as respectful.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Mr. Richard Fisher
                            2200 N. Pearl St.
                            Dallas, TX 75201

Dear Mr. Fisher:

Opinions are like a-holes, Fishy. Everybody's got one.

However, my argument isn't with Mr Fisher's credentials. Its with his views. Barack Obama is a far smarter man than yourself, no? Does that mean you shouldn't doubt how he uses that intelligence? (that sound you hear is Fishy panting now that he just got backed into a corner).

The premise of the Fisher argument seems to be that the gubmint regulates too much and doesn't manage the budget properly (presumably deficit spending). So, since you brought it up, I'll put you on the spot. Why then, in a climate of lower regulation and lower taxes did we go off the cliff causing the worst recession in 80 years? I've already sent a letter to Mr Fisher, but while I'm waiting for a response, feel free to speak up!

Comment

You know, I could have swore Itch McConnell said we'd never have another debt ceiling hike without spending cuts.

Odd, since he now just voted for that very thing!

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/senat...on-debt-limit/

Cue Tea party anger in 3...2....1....

But I understand we're only supposed to hold Obama to his word, not Republicans.

Comment

Now THIS is an interesting map...

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-gdp-map-2014-2

A graphic illustration of how hard working, successful liberal areas are the biggest drivers of GDP in this country. I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little sick of carrying the weight for all these loser, lazy, shiftless conservative areas in the rest of the US.

As I've challenged my righty friends before - want to balance the budget? Get on board with my proposal - no state gets back more from the feds than it pays in. Yeah, that pretty much ends the gravy train for all red states not named "Texas" but its only fair.

Comment

Working...
                                X