Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    So, who's ready to admit that Wisconsin's policies were a good idea, considering the state is now running a $912,000,000 SURPLUS? http://21stcenturywire.com/2014/01/2...udget-surplus/
    Sure. All he had to do was steal it from middle income taxpayers by downgrading their pensions. Now he can give another tax cut to the 1%.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Sure. All he had to do was steal it from middle income taxpayers by downgrading their pensions. Now he can give another tax cut to the 1%.
      He's trying to cut income tax rates now that they have ~$912million surplus. His proposal would cut the bottom tier only, from 4.5% to 4%.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

      "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

      "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

        Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        He's trying to cut income tax rates now that they have ~$912million surplus. His proposal would cut the bottom tier only, from 4.5% to 4%.
        Beautiful. Steal from the almost poor to give to the poor while the rich skate away scott free. God Bless America.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

        Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Beautiful. Steal from the almost poor to give to the poor while the rich skate away scott free. God Bless America.
          His tax cut is for the bottom income tier only. How is this letting the rich skate away scott free? If anything, it's a redistribution, seeing as how poor people's income taxes does not a budget surplus make.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Sure. All he had to do was steal it from middle income taxpayers by downgrading their pensions. Now he can give another tax cut to the 1%.
            Careful. You don't want Tom Perkins to label you a Nazi.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              His tax cut is for the bottom income tier only. How is this letting the rich skate away scott free? If anything, it's a redistribution, seeing as how poor people's income taxes does not a budget surplus make.
              How? He stole the surplus from the middle class, that's how. It didn't come from the rich, that's for sure.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

              Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                He's trying to cut income tax rates now that they have ~$912million surplus. His proposal would cut the bottom tier only, from 4.5% to 4%.
                Looks like he cut the whole thing out of education. Doesn't seem like a great way to balance the budget to me.

                Likewise, it appears that WI dems are claiming that state surpluss' are pretty the norm...and politi-facts agrees:

                http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...-budget-surpl/
                Go Gophers!

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                  Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Wisconsin's unemployment rate is like 2 points higher than Minnesota! I'm calling you out Flaggy, explain that.
                  That's the Republican idea of a thriving economy. High unemployment.

                  http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...riving-economy

                  i.e. Tennessee

                  Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) decided to extend a caustic “welcome” to the president in advance of his visit to her home state.

                  “Welcome to Tennessee,” she said. “While you’re here take a look around because this is what a thriving economy looks like.

                  “Despite what your teleprompter may tell you, our success is not a result of your failed policies. It’s rooted in what’s always made our state and country great – hard work, ingenuity and fiscal responsibility.”
                  Tennessee’s unemployment rate is 8.1%, more than a full point higher than the national average. On a national level, Tennessee ranks 43rd out of 50 states when it comes to unemployment, with 50 being the worst. In fact, Tennessee is one of only a handful of states that saw its jobless rate go up, not down, over the last year. (Republicans control the state House, state Senate, and governor’s office, making it tough for GOP officials to blame Democrats.)
                  Go, Republican policies, Go.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                  Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    That's the Republican idea of a thriving economy. High unemployment.

                    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...riving-economy

                    i.e. Tennessee





                    Go, Republican policies, Go.

                    Small wonder the GOP controlled states are usually sh !tholes or have more cattle than people.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

                    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

                    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

                    Comment


                    • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Looks like he cut the whole thing out of education. Doesn't seem like a great way to balance the budget to me.

                      Likewise, it appears that WI dems are claiming that state surpluss' are pretty the norm...and politi-facts agrees:

                      http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...-budget-surpl/
                      I missed something then...there is a statement by one person that the surplus was from cutting education (there was no timeframe provided for the $1B budget cut or confirmation the cut was enacted) and the the rest of the article says almost all the surplus is from extra taxes due to the improvement in the economy.

                      So the article says there were three theories for how the $1B came to be...the Gov says it was his policies (which appears to be false); the one commenter says it was cuts in education (that can't be the case if one agrees with the writer it was all taxes) and the the increased revenue theory (which seems to make sense). 66% misinformation and 33% truth...sounds about right for politics.
                      Last edited by pirate; 01-28-2014, 10:39 AM.
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                        Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Small wonder the GOP controlled states are usually sh !tholes or have more cattle than people.
                        ...and more hat than cattle!
                        Go Gophers!

                        Comment


                        • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                          Originally posted by pirate View Post
                          I missed something then...there is a statement by one person that the surplus was from cutting education (there was no timeframe provided for the $1B budget cut or confirmation the cut was enacted) and the the rest of the article says almost all the surplus is from extra taxes due to the improvement in the economy.

                          So the article says there were three theories for how the $1B came to be...the Gov says it was his policies (which appears to be false); the one commenter says it was cuts in education (that can't be the case if one agrees with the writer it was all taxes) and the the increased revenue theory (which seems to make sense). 66% misinformation and 33% truth...sounds about right for politics.
                          I agree...there is some fuzzy info on where it came from. Here's an article that addresses the make up of the budget in question (source is CBS, only one I could fine):

                          Democrats assailed the budget as an attack on middle class values since it cuts funding for public schools by $800 million, reduces funding to the UW system by $250 million and cuts tax credits for poor people.

                          It also reduces the amount schools can collect from property taxes and other revenue combined, which translates into another education cut of about $800 million. While schools are seeing deep cuts, Walker's budget extends tax breaks to manufacturers, multistate corporations and investors.

                          http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wis-gov-...ducation-185b/
                          Go Gophers!

                          Comment


                          • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                            Scott Walker's policies notwithstanding, is anybody else amused by how quick the "suck-up wind" has shifted from New Jersey to Wisconsin in recent days as the GOP Establishment desparately looks for an alternative to the lunatic caucus for their nominee in 2016. While I'm not the guy's biggest fan, you knucks' do realize that Christie hasn't actually been linked directly to anything yet, right?
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

                            Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

                            "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

                            Comment


                            • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                              Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              I agree...there is some fuzzy info on where it came from. Here's an article that addresses the make up of the budget in question (source is CBS, only one I could fine):

                              Democrats assailed the budget as an attack on middle class values since it cuts funding for public schools by $800 million, reduces funding to the UW system by $250 million and cuts tax credits for poor people.

                              It also reduces the amount schools can collect from property taxes and other revenue combined, which translates into another education cut of about $800 million. While schools are seeing deep cuts, Walker's budget extends tax breaks to manufacturers, multistate corporations and investors.

                              http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wis-gov-...ducation-185b/
                              What type of cuts? If they're cutting administrators - fine. If they're cutting contributions related to (declining) union membership, OK. We keep tossing money into education and are the (our) kids better educated than we were, or our parents? My county increased it's per pupil spending by 50% over 8 years with no appreciable increase in student test scores. Was it money well spent?? Unlike NJ, MD does not let the local citizenry directly vote on the annual school budget. Wish we could.

                              I would love to know the overhead rate on public education -- for every $ that is spent in the classroom, how many more $$ are being spent on support of the classroom? Some of it is obviously necessary - utilities, maintenance, fuel, textbooks and such. But how many "curriculum specialists" do you need? How many vice principals? It's a debate that needs to happen in every school board in the country.

                              Anyway, off my soapbox and debating whether or not to watch the SOTU. I hope there's a hockey game on somewhere.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                              ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

                              Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                              I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

                                Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                I agree...there is some fuzzy info on where it came from. Here's an article that addresses the make up of the budget in question (source is CBS, only one I could fine):

                                Democrats assailed the budget as an attack on middle class values since it cuts funding for public schools by $800 million, reduces funding to the UW system by $250 million and cuts tax credits for poor people.

                                It also reduces the amount schools can collect from property taxes and other revenue combined, which translates into another education cut of about $800 million. While schools are seeing deep cuts, Walker's budget extends tax breaks to manufacturers, multistate corporations and investors.

                                http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wis-gov-...ducation-185b/
                                Checking additional articles, the timing of rushing this budget through, prior to recall elections etc. was a concern. And it should have been. Walker's comments at the time was that he ran on the platform of this budget and nobody should be shocked. Of course, nobody goes into this kind of detail in campaign speeches so the issue isn't that he didn't foreshadow changes but how he specifically implements his broader plan.

                                In terms of education; Wisconsin has 426 public school districts with an average of 5.8 schools per district and 348 students per school. The Governor's cuts were a reduction in the $10,500 spent per public school student per year and the requirement was that property taxes not be increased. So, the response was "we'll have to cut education programs for students". $10,500 is roughly the national average but the number of districts, schools per district and students per school seem low to an outsider.

                                I'm not saying Walker is right or wrong, and who knows the best way to curtail school expenses, but I wish he would have said no sports, music or education programs could be cut to meet the reduction or $500 per student or that he required the consolidation of some districts, reducing overhead vs. taking the $500 out of each student's schooling.
                                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X