X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by sagard View Post
    No Kep although I agree with you on almost everything, I'm not wrong on this. I see it first hand.
    I guess we're going to agree to disagree. There is danger on all sides when talking about a medium of free access to knowledge, but I see NN as one of the truly good fights against Evil. Knowledge is power, and a capitalist owner class that has methodically tried to render the vast majority of citizens powerless will inevitably bring their guns to bear on access to knowledge. This is like voter suppression and surveillance -- we've got to stop it right here at the beginning or it will just snowball.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

With NN in place, internet price will go up, thanks to a "fee" that will be passed to the consumer. Not to mention, the cost to string it to rural areas.

Comment

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/67377...ushpmg00000063

Sorry if this is a repost.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I read this yesterday and I have to take issue with it. The author claims that Minnesota has proven that supply side economics is bunk. That's totally false. Kansas had already proven that beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            I read this yesterday and I have to take issue with it. The author claims that Minnesota has proven that supply side economics is bunk. That's totally false. Kansas had already proven that beyond any shadow of a doubt.
            100% correct.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
              No Kep although I agree with you on almost everything, I'm not wrong on this. I see it first hand.
              Net neutrality is simply the premise that packet A from company X must be treated the same as packet B from company Y. This is how the net had always worked and how things like the phone system and electrical grid work. (Even if you're a Sprint customer, a call from your mom who is a Verizon customer will be handled the same as a call from your spouse who is also a Sprint customer).

Net neutrality does not prevent companies from charging heavy users more, metering bandwidth, or otherwise discriminating based on volume. Comcast is free to charge Netflix or its ISP more based upon the volume of traffic it creates thru the appropriate peer sharing agreements. What it prevents is a company, say Comcast, throttling Netflix while allowing its own streaming service to go through unmolested.

Regulating the internet under Title II is required because the telecoms (especially Verizon) fought net neutrality before. The courts struck down those laws, but in doing so told the FCC, "This would be legal if the internet were regulated as a common carrier under Title II." So that's what the FCC is doing.

Everything else is spin, primarily by the cable companies and telecoms themselves.

So yes, you are wrong.
              Last edited by unofan; 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Supply side had already failed 2 years into Reagan's first term. The only thing that prevented a depression was them completely reversing it.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Net neutrality is simply the premise that packet A from company X must be treated the same as packet B from company Y. This is how the net had always worked and how things like the phone system and electrical grid work. (Even if you're a Sprint customer, a call from your mom who is a Verizon customer will be handled the same as a call from your spouse who is also a Sprint customer).

Net neutrality does not prevent companies from charging heavy users more, metering bandwidth, or otherwise discriminating based on volume. Comcast is free to charge Netflix or its ISP more based upon the volume of traffic it creates thru the appropriate peer sharing agreements. What it prevents is a company, say Comcast, throttling Netflix while allowing its own streaming service to go through unmolested.

Regulating the internet under Title II is required because the telecoms (especially Verizon) fought net neutrality before. The courts struck down those laws, but in doing so told the FCC, "This would be legal if the internet were regulated as a common carrier under Title II." So that's what the FCC is doing.

Everything else is spin, primarily by the cable companies and telecoms themselves.

So yes, you are wrong.
                  Thank you.

It is remarkable that something so simple and transparent was able to be muddied by the profiteers and the knee-jerk ideologues. With climate change at least there's the excuse that it's very complicated and the man in the street can't follow the science, but NN is pretty much exactly all you said, and the puppeteers were nearly able to pull one over on the public.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I loled
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Supply side had already failed 2 years into Reagan's first term. The only thing that prevented a depression was them completely reversing it.
                      Fiscal policy doesn't work that fast, only monetary policy (the Federal Reserve). Fiscal policy is shown to have a lagged effect of at least four years while monetary policy changes can be seen in a matter of months. What you saw in the early 80's, with respect to interest and inflation rates, were intentional effects of Paul Volcker's actions. It was aimed at ending stagflation, which pretty much every single economist will tell you was a resounding success. The nation had to feel some short-term economic pain in order to move on towards long-term prosperity.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Here is a fascinating take on using data and business principles to help people learn how to help themselves. "Profits" in this case are not measured in dollars but in jobs.

data [is used by turnaround experts] to understand untapped potential in a business. Similarly, data can be used to help unlock potential in communities across the U.S. Despite declining unemployment, millions of Americans who could be put to work are trapped outside the labor market. Yet, as with an underperforming company, there are effective and proven strategies that can help them realize their potential....

striking new evidence shows that a business model called social enterprise can provide [stigmatized and limited-skills] people with training, support and work. Social enterprises leverage a business approach to address a social mission, making improvements in human and environmental well-being, rather than maximizing profits for external stakeholders. These businesses earn and reinvest their revenue to provide more people with jobs that build skills and a career path.....today, social enterprises hire and provide hope for hundreds of thousands.

[an enterprise fund] commissioned the research firm Mathematica Policy Research to conduct a rigorous, first-of-its-kind study. Just released, the Mathematica Jobs Study evaluated seven social enterprises in California....One year after accepting a social-enterprise job, the study reported, workers were more likely to have stable employment either in a social enterprise or with another employer, and had greater economic self-sufficiency and more life stability. Before employment, a quarter of the people in the study had never had a job, and 85% were homeless or lived in unstable housing, such as shelters, hotels, or with friends or family. One year later, 62% were working; on average their monthly work income increased by 268%, their income from government benefits was reduced to 24% from 71%. Also, the number of people owning or renting a home throughout the year tripled.

The Mathematica study also shows that social enterprise delivers a positive return on investment for society. For every $100,000 invested, the return is $223,000, including savings to taxpayers with reduced public benefits and avoided incarceration, and social-enterprise business revenues and workers’ incomes.

we must also ensure that government policies don’t unintentionally undermine work. When someone who has been out of work starts a job, he loses housing and other benefits, regardless of wages. A job should help relieve financial hardships, not create new ones; the “benefits cliff” is a major disincentive to gainful employment. One possible solution: Expand the earned-income tax credit that provides tax relief for low-income working parents of minor children, making it available to individuals who don’t have children. This type of change would provide an important incentive to work, and can be made federally or by individual states.
                        I hope that the full article is not trapped behind a pay wall. I hope these social enterprise funds start recruiting at the same places investment banks do, sounds like the same skill set is required and the former sounds so much more fulfilling than the latter!!
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Do these short-term memory weasels not know the definition of "seasonal employment"?! http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...305-story.html

Comment

Wow, the exchange rate is now at 11:10. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...rchase-details

if Europe keeps this up, we may see 1:1 soon.

Comment

Here ya go. This is all you need to know on taxing the rich, creating jobs, and building an economy.

Scott Walker represents the right. Mark Dayton represents the left.

Guess who won

http://mic.com/articles/111424/2-yea...sota-s-economy
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Here ya go. This is all you need to know on taxing the rich, creating jobs, and building an economy.

Scott Walker represents the right. Mark Dayton represents the left.

Guess who won

http://mic.com/articles/111424/2-yea...sota-s-economy
                                So why don't sensible Dems talk to Gov. Drayton about taking on the Clinton machine?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X