X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Monopolistic entities typically benefit from more government. Patents, trademarks, excessive legislation *coughppacacough*...
    The fact that government can be used by business to further its corruption is an argument for cutting ties between business and government, not eliminating government!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The fact that government can be used by business to further its corruption is an argument for cutting toes between business and government, not eliminating government!
      When was anything about eliminating government brought up my me in this discussion? You're going after the wrong person on this one. You'll want to go after the guy using the NWO-fabricated exaggeration as an argument for fascism (i.e. Somalia) as a crutch, trixR4kids.

Comment

When was anything about eliminating government brought up my me in this discussion? You're going after the wrong person on this one. You'll want to go after the guy using the NWO-fabricated exaggeration as an argument for fascism (i.e. Somalia) as a crutch, trixR4kids.
        I was crossing the streams. My apologies.

(We should have a hash table mapping posters' crazies for easy access. I'm getting my LOLbertarians mixed up.)
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I know they deeply, deeply ef over their suppliers. That and economy of scale allows them to undercut competitors. It would only natural for them to then operate like any monopoly: drive the suppliers even lower (no other market for their goods) and drive their prices as high as they can (no other supplier for the consumer). The gap between means maximizing the profit margin while ALSO getting windfall sales.

Capitalism is its own gravedigger.
          Forcing suppliers to lower their prices because you're the only buyer in town is monopsony, monopoly is when you're the seller and can force prices up. Wal-Mart is neither, technically, but certainly do have monopsonistic characteristics.

Monopolies never hold true to any sort of large scale unless they're supported by government. As soon as they raise prices, other competitors will come into the market and drive prices down again. Predatory pricing - undercutting prices to take a short-term loss so that the competition goes out of business - never works for the very reason that as soon as the prices go back up more competition moves into the market. It forces you to continue the predation long enough and you drive yourself out of business, too. Wal-Mart has low prices, but they're only pennies difference from Target on most goods (I've compared more than once), and other similar competitors, in all likelihood. Due to the negligible difference, customers will then decide if they want the purely lowest prices or choose to spend the few extra pennies for a different shopping experience, such as Target. (I use Target as the example because they're the only direct competition in town around here).
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

You'll want to go after the guy using the NWO-fabricated exaggeration as an argument for fascism (i.e. Somalia) as a crutch, trixR4kids.
            Uh... what?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              As a broken up monopoly/trust ever emerged weaker after the breakup?
              At&t barely survived. Barely.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Uh... what?
                Meet Flaggy. He thinks info wars is a legitimate source of news.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Meet Flaggy. He thinks info wars is a legitimate source of news.
                  This coming from someone who would actually believe Pravda to be the truth.

Comment

The hell is Pravda?
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The hell is Pravda?
                      Pravda was the name of the Soviet propaganda newspaper. Its translation to English is "truth". This is what we have today with the government media complex. Ever notice how they're all reporting on the same stuff, but never do any of those "in the in-crowd" report on the real things happening, such as Italy banning vaccines due to their causing of autism?

You may whine about sources such as GMN, Infowars, and Michael Savage, just because they may not be part of the "in-crowd", nor should you take every word any source says as absolute dogma. You'd be surprised what they've found, though, and the revelations you will find from just ten minutes of reading their journalism and watching their videos.

Comment

Corporate media being ruling class propaganda and InfoWars being highly profitable nonsense are not mutually exclusive.

Let's assume a typical market is composed of 90% conformists and 10% contrarians. I'll run "the guys you don't like are evil" on Fox and MSNBC to capture the former, "the guys you think you like are evil TOO!" on Prison Planet and InfoWars to capture the latter, and maximize my profit.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-20-2015, 07:56 AM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Corporate media being ruling class propaganda and InfoWars being highly profitable nonsense are not mutually exclusive.

Let's assume a typical market is composed of 90% conformists and 10% contrarians. I'll run "the guys you don't like are evil" on Fox and MSNBC to capture the former, "the guys you think you like are evil TOO!" on Prison Planet and InfoWars to capture the latter, and maximize my profit.
                          Prison Planet and Infowars are the same site.

However, they aren't the only games in town when it comes to alternative media. It's cute how you see them as a scapegoat, though, similar to the "Blame Bush" people of the last decade.

Comment

Well, reading up on the 5 year BP Oil Spill. The Feds haven't paid out and BP hasn't paid out.

That's how business and government work in this country. I just pray every day I don't have a disaster of some sort happen to me.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

However, they aren't the only games in town when it comes to alternative media. It's cute how you see them as a scapegoat, though, similar to the "Blame Bush" people of the last decade.
                              I'm not scapegoating them. I'm saying they're a business, and they sell paranoia. Just because they're calling out the mainstream media as corrupt and hopelessly compromised by the 1% doesn't mean the rest of what they're peddling isn't snake oil.

This is a case where the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

I'd be interested in other sources of alternative media stories. Really the only one I like right now is Vice, who has their own problems (they're run by a self-promoting goofball and they treat their staff like crap).
                              Cornell University

Comment

I'm not scapegoating them. I'm saying they're a business, and they sell paranoia. Just because they're calling out the mainstream media as corrupt and hopelessly compromised by the 1% doesn't mean the rest of what they're peddling isn't snake oil.

This is a case where the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

I'd be interested in other sources of alternative media stories. Really the only one I like right now is Vice, who has their own problems (they're run by a self-promoting goofball and they treat their staff like crap).
                                Guerilla Media Network has been doing decently; I discovered them when following the trucker protest on the Capital Beltway a while back, they've also been covering the Feds trying to take over the Bundy ranch, as well as the SPLC's training of sheriff's departments to go after Constitutionalists (such as the one around Spokane WA); seem to be pretty decent. As always, they aren't dogma, so I'm not going to believe everything. The nice thing is that, because of the existence of the WWW, the First Amendment with regards to speech is more widely practiced, especially since desktops can practically run as servers and a domain name is fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X