Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Left Handers Day 2014

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    I did not know that. And had never heard of it before, either. I'm a mixture: throw left, bat right, tennis & bowling left, golf right, write left.
    I play sports right-handed, but pretty much left-handed in everything else.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Same here. Playing sports righty just felt natural. My dad was the exact opposite - right-handed for writing/eating, and lefty for all sports.

Comment

I do precision functions (writing, eating) lefty and power functions (batting, throwing, chopping trees) righty. I thought I was a superfreak until I read that it's really not that rare. Something like 10% of lefties (1% of the gen pop) do that.

Now, people who do precision functions righty and power functions lefty? THAT'S superfreak. I've never met anybody like that and supposedly it's about 1 in 100,000 of the gen pop.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-14-2014, 08:54 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gerald Ford was left-handed...only while sitting down. Right-handed otherwise (that includes writing: sitting down? Left handed. Writing on a blackboard? Right handed).
          That's wild.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            How gauche.

and sinister

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
              and sinister
              Well played.

I CAN sort of write right-handed, but it looks like a kindergarten child's writing.

My grandma (maternal) was another odd one. Due to school trying to make her switch her writing hand, she could write in cursive, stop mid-word, continue writing with her other hand, and you couldn't tell where she switched hands.

I did try to switch-hit in softball, spent a couple years practicing, but it didn't exactly work out. If I hit the ball with any power, it was straight down the right-field line every time. Gave up on that.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Technically I'm also a bit of a mix, as I use a mouse and send morse code right-handed, but write, bat, wrist-shot, throw, all left. Shooting billiards, both. Mini-golf I can also do both, but predominantly left.

Comment

The computer mouse...I guess it was kind of forced, as at the time I started on computers, that was the only option. There are many things like that, if you think about it. Scissors, notebooks, etc.

Comment

The computer mouse...I guess it was kind of forced, as at the time I started on computers, that was the only option. There are many things like that, if you think about it. Scissors, notebooks, etc.
                    My mother always tried to force me left with a computer mouse... quite unnatural, and not because of the shape of the mouse, because the computer was a mac.

Also, I play stringed instruments "right-handed". Although, like video games, you'd think it would be better for a left-handed person to use said system, because of the precision necessary with the left hand.

Comment

I CAN sort of write right-handed, but it looks like a kindergarten child's writing.

My grandma (maternal) was another odd one. Due to school trying to make her switch her writing hand, she could write in cursive, stop mid-word, continue writing with her other hand, and you couldn't tell where she switched hands.
                      Leonardo da Vinci was another famous leftie, IIRC. I remember reading when I was a kid that he had a secret code or something like that where we wrote upside down and backward using his right hand, and so I practiced using my off-hand to write backward (with a mirror propped up in front of the paper).

I can write "normally" with either hand but it sure looks different depending upon which one I use. Useful I suppose if I'm ever going to be a spy: "hey, that's not my handwriting: here's a sample, take it to an expert analyst and he'll agree."
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        Leonardo da Vinci was another famous leftie, IIRC. I remember reading when I was a kid that he had a secret code or something like that where we wrote upside down and backward using his right hand, and so I practiced using my off-hand to write backward (with a mirror propped up in front of the paper).

I can write "normally" with either hand but it sure looks different depending upon which one I use. Useful I suppose if I'm ever going to be a spy: "hey, that's not my handwriting: here's a sample, take it to an expert analyst and he'll agree."
                        da Vinci did indeed write like that at times. I can write in cursive, backwards, with my left hand, quite easily. And yes, I started practicing that after I learned about da Vinci's "talent."

Comment

da Vinci did indeed write like that at times. I can write in cursive, backwards, with my left hand, quite easily. And yes, I started practicing that after I learned about da Vinci's "talent."
                          I don't recall if it was da Vinci but one of the Renaissance geniuses could write different texts, simultaneously, with each hand.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Gerald Ford was left-handed...only while sitting down. Right-handed otherwise (that includes writing: sitting down? Left handed. Writing on a blackboard? Right handed).
                            James Garfield could write in Greek with his left hand while simultaneously writing in Latin with his right hand.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              James Garfield could write in Greek with his left hand while simultaneously writing in Latin with his right hand.
                              Now THAT is truly impressive.

Comment

Now THAT is truly impressive.
                                It is. Plus, you never know when you're gonna need to do that.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X