Call Detroit. Tell them bankrupt!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Detroit. Tell them bankrupt!!!

I think Detroit tipping into bankruptcy may be a tipping point and I think the municipal financing issues warrant its own thread.

Thoughts on who's next (if any)??
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Call Detroit. Tell them bankrupt!!!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I think Detroit tipping into bankruptcy may be a tipping point and I think the municipal financing issues warrant its own thread.

Chicago is next. $40 Million in police OT a year. Only 45% of the cities pensions funded.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

What's the extension for Detroit? I can't find them anywhere in the directory.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        What's the extension for Detroit? I can't find them anywhere in the directory.
        that's because they are only accepting collect calls.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I foresee good things for this thread.

Comment

"Hello, is this Detroit?"
            "Yes it is."
            "BANKRUPT!" *slam*
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
              I foresee good things for this thread.
              I strongly disagree with your hypothesis, you warthog faced baboon! ;-)
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                A contestant on Wheel of Fortune tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  I strongly disagree with your hypothesis, you warthog faced baboon! ;-)
                  I'll explain, And I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand...

Comment

I'm not sure there's any solution to a situation like Detroit's. A dying Rust Belt city that's been on the skids for decades due to a loss of manufacturing jobs. Frankly that could be a dozen cities in the US (Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron, Gary, St. Louis, Rochester, etc). Have any been able to revitalize themselves? Think of older cities in the US that are doing well (SF, Chicago, NY, Boston, DC). Usually there's something specific to them that's tough to replicate. Nobody wants to move to Detroit, and the city isn't going to grow from the inside.

To answer joecct's question, I'd say Buffalo is next.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I'm not sure there's any solution to a situation like Detroit's. A dying Rust Belt city that's been on the skids for decades due to a loss of manufacturing jobs. Frankly that could be a dozen cities in the US (Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron, Gary, St. Louis, Rochester, etc). Have any been able to revitalize themselves? Think of older cities in the US that are doing well (SF, Chicago, NY, Boston, DC). Usually there's something specific to them that's tough to replicate. Nobody wants to move to Detroit, and the city isn't going to grow from the inside.

To answer joecct's question, I'd say Buffalo is next.
                      Rochester has, and I believe St. Louis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I'm not sure there's any solution to a situation like Detroit's.
                        Long-term, there certainly is. The current problem is trying to pay off pensions from when the city had a population of 2M, with a population of maybe 700k. There's just no way to make that work, regardless of what you do with taxes/city management. Those liabilities are crippling right now, but won't be there forever one way or another. Once they get out of that hole, the downtown area has been undergoing a nice rebirth in recent years. There's still some problems to fix, but I think their biggest issues are temporary, not permanent.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

The biggest problem in the long-term in the schools. You can get young professionals and artsy fartsies to live in downtown and midtown, but as soon as they get married and start thinking about kids, those people are going to bolt for the 'burbs unless they can fix the city school system.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            The biggest problem in the long-term in the schools. You can get young professionals and artsy fartsies to live in downtown and midtown, but as soon as they get married and start thinking about kids, those people are going to bolt for the 'burbs unless they can fix the city school system.
                            I wouldn't say that's remarkably different than any other major city in the US.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Isn't pension set up so that one generation pays for the next, just like Social Security?

Comment

Working...
                              X