X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Soccer XXIV: The Road to Rio

Carry on.

Re: World Soccer XXIV: The Road to Rio

The Road to Rio... goes through pretty much all of the Central American countries (and Mexico).

Works on several levels, plus this:

*****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Road_to_Rio_1947_Poster.jpg******
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Wynalda was talking about this yesterday during the game. Klinsmann is going for it. He's not gonna have the team sit back and defend, he's having them possess the ball and go for the throat. Wynalda's comment of "I like it! We're tired of playing scared!" was very poignant.
      Who doesn't like it? It's wonderful to see. Not to mention it gets our guys in a scoring mentality, learning to play within themselves yet giving themselves more opportunities to finish against competition.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Eh. Running up the score against crappy El Salvador is nice, but I'm not convinced it actually does anything to prepare them to beat good teams in competitive matches.

Edit to add: but, on the other hand, you can only beat who you play. Can't blame them for winning the games they have.
        Last edited by jmh; 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Who doesn't like it? It's wonderful to see. Not to mention it gets our guys in a scoring mentality, learning to play within themselves yet giving themselves more opportunities to finish against competition.
          It's a breath of fresh air to see that's for sure. I don't think I've ever seen the US team play this well.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            Eh. Running up the score against crappy El Salvador is nice, but I'm not convinced it actually does anything to prepare them to beat good teams in competitive matches.

Edit to add: but, on the other hand, you can only beat who you play. Can't blame them for winning the games they have.
            Sometimes the biggest challenge is to remain mentally alert at all times. That is what the focus is on, practicing mental discipline no matter the score.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post

On top of that it's just the B squad, so save a few guys that will get moved up to play in the WCQ's, this isn't preparing the senior team for much. However, it does help Klinsmann's image. This is the USA's longest winning streak ever, and they've had these runs of only playing CONCACAF teams before and still not accomplished this streak. I guess the big test comes in the next two games, as it's down to teams from the Hex.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                On top of that it's just the B squad, so save a few guys that will get moved up to play in the WCQ's, this isn't preparing the senior team for much. However, it does help Klinsmann's image. This is the USA's longest winning streak ever, and they've had these runs of only playing CONCACAF teams before and still not accomplished this streak. I guess the big test comes in the next two games, as it's down to teams from the Hex.
                The other thing it does though is push the A squad guys to a point, Klinsmann can point to performances in the gold cup to tell players currently on the A squad to keep pushing themselves otherwise someone from the B squad has been working his butt off and producing when given the chance, etc.

Outside of USA and Mexico are the other teams in the Gold Cup playing with their A squads?
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  When did Beasley get demoted?

Comment

Totally random. Saw a middle-aged woman from the suburbs walk/jogging with a Uganda soccer jersey on.

It was 90 out and the jersey was black. Not the smartest workout apparel choice. But I was confused as to how she came to have a Uganda shirt at all.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Totally random. Saw a middle-aged woman from the suburbs walk/jogging with a Uganda soccer jersey on.

It was 90 out and the jersey was black. Not the smartest workout apparel choice. But I was confused as to how she came to have a Uganda shirt at all.
                      Uganda lost a championship and so they shipped the inaccurate jerseys to poor people in Pittsburgh?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Uganda lost a championship and so they shipped the inaccurate jerseys to poor people in Pittsburgh?
                        +1
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          They haven't even qualified for a World Cup.

Comment

Falcao, for whom Monaco recently paid 53 million pounds, may actually be 29 and not 27. Crazy news if true.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              They haven't even qualified for a World Cup.
                              Whoosh...

Comment

Working...
                              X