No announcement yet.

NHL: Who is a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL: Who is a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I'm biased because I grew up in Minnesota, but I don't know how you could argue that Chicago is not worse than Minnesota. It just doesn't compute.

Seriously?

The Gophers and (some of... most of...) their fans (when they're acting as fans).

The Vikings.

There is no college rival from Illinois and especially not Chicago. Minnesota is a rival in every college sport that we share.

While I despise the Bears, they aren't the Packers biggest rival anymore and haven't been since the early 90s.

My all-encompassing hatred of the Gophers, Vikings and North Stars makes it very hard for Chicago to even register in my mind anymore when it comes to sports hate.

I'm really only referring to sports - not the people, states or cities even though most Cubs fans make me want to grab something sharp that I could swing.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Wait a minute...

EODS, are you a Badger fan and a Viking fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Wait a minute...

EODS, are you a Badger fan and a Viking fan?
        No. What are you, high?

But aside from the Gophers, what does Minnesota have that's more loathsome to a Wisconsin sports fan that doesn't have a worse equivalent in Chicago? Back in the AL days, Brewers fans always hated the White Sox more than the Twins. And current Brewers fans can't ****ing stand the Cubs (or their fans). I personally don't take a Packer fan seriously when they say that they hate the Vikings more than they hate the Bears, even if most of us respect Bears fans more than we can ever respect Vikings fans.

Plus, when you look at how much more similar Minnesota is to Wisconsin, culturally speaking, than Illinois is... in my book it's a no-brainer. Illinois sucks.
        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          No. What are you, high?

But aside from the Gophers, what does Minnesota have that's more loathsome to a Wisconsin sports fan that doesn't have a worse equivalent in Chicago? Back in the AL days, Brewers fans always hated the White Sox more than the Twins. And current Brewers fans can't ****ing stand the Cubs (or their fans). I personally don't take a Packer fan seriously when they say that they hate the Vikings more than they hate the Bears, even if most of us respect Bears fans more than we can ever respect Vikings fans.

Plus, when you look at how much more similar Minnesota is to Wisconsin, culturally speaking, than Illinois is... in my book it's a no-brainer. Illinois sucks.

First off, you have a lot of contradictions in there.

Second, historically the Bears are our biggest rival. In the 80s, most definitely so. A Packers season was a success if we just beat the Bears even once.

Since the early 90s? What have the Bears done? Lose to us at home in an NFC title game?

As for the Vikings, I can rattle off any number of things. TJ Rubley, MCMahon beating us in the Dome, the horrors of the Dome, Moss's coming out party, the home playoff loss/mooning, Favre going there and coming back and owning us... and that's just off the top of my head.

During that span it's pretty much been us and them for the division title every year.

With the Cubs, it's a push. They got us early on and we've been better since.

Don't even get me started on the Gophers.

Now if you're talking the people and not the teams, I agree whole-heartedly. Cubs fans could quite possibly be worse than Gopher hockey fans. FIBs in general are different than us in many cultural ways and Minnesotans are essentially the same.

If you're talking the landscape and not the teams, again... Illinois is a barren hell hole and Minnesota is almost as nice as Wisconsin and has almost as many lakes ().

As far as the cities themselves, I love both.

Illinois sucks, but the Vikings suck harder (and swallow).

PS I remember the White Sox rivalry quite well. My first 20 or so MLB games were going up to old Comisky to see the Crew play the Sox. Every Harold Baines HR set off a fireworks display.... UGH!
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            If he can't stomach rooting for a Chicago team, the Wild would give him explosive diarrhea.
            I agree 100000000%.

Less the Wild (and Hawks if they had a former UW player), I want all teams with former UW players to succeed. I actively root for the Rangers. I latched on to them during the Mike Richter era have never let go. Mc D and D Step are studs. Plus when I played "Blades of Steel" on the old Nintendo, I was always the Rangers, I liked their patriotic colors (I wish it still worked, but mine died). I also root for the Sharks, gotta love the Polish Prince (and Burish).
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

New Jersey, duh. They made the playing style of the BADgers popular first.

Comment

Working...
              X