NHL: Who is a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL: Who is a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Im kind of struggling with my NHL fandom. I recently got back into hockey a few years ago and latched onto the Blackhawks (before they won the cup) because they are the closest team to where I lived at the time (grew up about 30 miles south of Madison).
    Ive kind of always struggled with cheering against Chicago teams during most of the year and then cheering for a Chicago team during hockey season.
    Lately, Ive thought maybe Id start cheering for the Nashville Predators because of their ties to Wisconsin with the Milwaukee Admirals.
    My fiance thinks Im crazy and that theres nothing wrong with cheering for a Chicago team considering that Wisconsin doesnt have an NHL team (shes not from Wisconsin and doesnt exactly understand the issues that we have with Chicagoans).
    So, what do you guys think: am I totally stupid for thinking about switching to the Predators because they have an AHL affiliate in Milwaukee and because, "dollar Bill" Wirtz cost Milwaukee a chance at having an NHL team (told the league that people in Milwaukee were Blackhawk fans, so a team would never work there) or am I just making waaaay too much out of cheering for a Chicago team.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Re: NHL: Who is a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Too bad there's not a hockey team where you live now.

Comment

There is no such thing as a bad reason to cheer against a Chicago team.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
        ...or am I just making waaaay too much out of cheering for a Chicago team.

Yes, you are.

Granted, I grew up a Hawks/Packers/Badgers/Brewers fan, so I've had a lot of time to sort all of this out, but it works just fine for me.

Oftentimes, I see the other fans on TV or at the games and I really can't identify with them. But I'm a fan of the team, not the city, state or other fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Oftentimes, I see the other fans on TV or at the games and I really can't identify with them.
          Because they are sober?
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Not to mention the former owner of the Blackhawks is the reason the NHL doesn't have a team in Wisconsin.

Go with the Blue Jackets. Or maybe the Jets. Nobody likes a frontrunner.
            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I say Preds. But that's just my anti-Hawks speak.

Any players from college that you could follow in the pros? Being an Admirals fan would make rooting for the Preds easy. Or the Wild or Jets are on the upswing.

And, while I'm certainly one of the first to beat the "you're jumping on the bandwagon" drums every time I hear someone talking about the 'hawks, they are a team that finally put it together after decades of a penny pinching tight a** owner who 1) invested in the Blues just to have a "local" rival during the expansion years from the Original Six and 2) co**blocked the Blues from moving to Milwaukee because he didn't want to lose his "fanbase."

A good chance to test drive a few teams if you want. I had friends who got me hooked on the NHL during the Wings 97 and 98 runs, but I spent the next two or so years trying to root for the Wild, Preds, even the Thrashers, before settling as a Wings fan (even watching those other teams, I'd find myself watching the Wings).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The Wild have like eight thousand Badgers on the roster, you know.

the state of hockey is good

Comment

And the Wild are owned by a Sconnie.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

It's quite simple:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020227

Edit: "Loyalties" is what you are looking for.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      The Wild have like eight thousand Badgers on the roster, you know.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      And the Wild are owned by a Sconnie.

If he can't stomach rooting for a Chicago team, the Wild would give him explosive diarrhea.

Comment

If he can't stomach rooting for a Chicago team, the Wild would give him explosive diarrhea.
                        I'm biased because I grew up in Minnesota, but I don't know how you could argue that Chicago is not worse than Minnesota. It just doesn't compute.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                          Too bad there's not a hockey team where you live now.
                          The Blue Jackets? Ugh, no thanks. Since I moved to Columbus a year ago, Ive met more than enough idiot Browns, Reds and Buckeye fans to make it perfectly clear to me that Id never want to cheer for any Ohio teams.
                          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Yeah, thats not gonna happen either. I couldnt even imagine wearing a Wild jersey or cheering for them. It would just make me feel so dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              It's quite simple:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020227

Edit: "Loyalties" is what you are looking for.
                              Thats actually quite an entertaining read. I did just kind of randomly pick the Hawks. I told myself that they were the logical choice because they were the closest to where I was living at the time but I have no love for the city of Chicago and the fact that Wirtz blocked Milwaukee from getting an NHL team really sours my opinion of the Blackhawks.

Comment

Working...
                              X