X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Stanley Cup Runneth Over

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    ... the BC was built to lure the NHL, not just necessarily the Blues (albeit over 20 years ago... it might not necessarily be up to par as far as luxury stuff goes, but it's the right size and made for hockey sightlines).
    It's fine as a hockey building. The BC has done well with all three Frozen Fours it has hosted; I look forward to going back for a 4th someday. The facility doesn't lack anything I need to enjoy a hockey game.

That said, at the NHL level the financial side just has to be sound, and the $$ from the luxury stuff have become part of the equation. Failing that, you can't afford the players you need and the whole thing unravels pretty quickly.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Didn't Kansas City move to Colorado who then moved to New Jersey? I am not a fan of a lot of US cities for an expansion team.
    Well, that's a good issue to raise. But it's a question, not a conclusion. Several communities have received second chances from the NHL. You mention Colorado, who seems to have done well on the second try. So far, so good in Minnesota, San Jose (Bay Area) and Winnipeg. On the other hand, Atlanta is a two-time loser. So it is an open question.

Now maybe Minnesota and Winnipeg aren't analogous as the sport is so well established in those areas. You could make a similar argument about the winter sports heritage in Colorado. But if a second try in Northern California can work, I don't see why the same thing couldn't be accomplished in KC. As per my comment to EODS above, success would probably depend most heavily on the financial soundness -- or lack thereof -- of the application.

Another factor is whether a proposed NHL team would have to compete head-to-head with the NBA for local sports dollars. That is not the case in KC. And at least for the moment, that's true in Seattle as well. In the case of the largest markets and the hockey hotbeds, the presence of the NBA isn't really a problem. But in a medium-sized market still learning our sport, not having to go head-to-head with pro hoops helps.

Comment

What everyone says about Wirtz re: Milwaukee is completely true (one reason I still hate the Hawks, even if that old ******* is rotting in the ground), and it was also true that the BC was built to lure the NHL, not just necessarily the Blues
      Correct, though it ain't happening again anytime soon unless another Lloyd Pettit is out there somewhere. Good luck on that one.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Didn't Ottawa lose like 3,454,357 times before it stuck?
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Didn't Ottawa lose like 3,454,357 times before it stuck?
          In many ways, they're still losing.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

In many ways, they're still losing.
            They have a loser that wears #25
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

The Rangers may have to move. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...s_to_move.html

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                This isn't all that surprising for those who've been following local news here in NYC, and while the Dolans will complain that they just put a ton of money into the Garden, they did so without any guarantee that their permit would be extended indefinitely, which is what they wanted. That being said, I could see the permit getting extended another five years because the Dolans will drag their heels and it will take quite a while to find suitable real estate and get an arena built.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  This isn't all that surprising for those who've been following local news here in NYC, and while the Dolans will complain that they just put a ton of money into the Garden, they did so without any guarantee that their permit would be extended indefinitely, which is what they wanted. That being said, I could see the permit getting extended another five years because the Dolans will drag their heels and it will take quite a while to find suitable real estate and get an arena built.
                  Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Seems to pretty economically unfeasible to spend a billion dollars in renovations to one of the most famous arenas in the country and then be forced to move out 10 years later. Ummm....what?
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Seems to pretty economically unfeasible to spend a billion dollars in renovations to one of the most famous arenas in the country and then be forced to move out 10 years later. Ummm....what?
                    Yeah, I think the Dolans decided that they could pour all that money in before getting the permit renewed and then when it came up for renewal they'd say "but we just spent all that money! you have to give us what we want!" and that would convince the city council to vote to renew the permit in perpetuity, or at least for a longer finite period.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Live feed from the Blackhawks convention...

http://www.csnchicago.com/page/liveblackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        Yeah, I think the Dolans decided that they could pour all that money in before getting the permit renewed and then when it came up for renewal they'd say "but we just spent all that money! you have to give us what we want!" and that would convince the city council to vote to renew the permit in perpetuity, or at least for a longer finite period.
                        Reason #425,9214 why the Dolans are morons.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Hawks have sined Coach Q to a 3 year extension. This has him signed till 2017... I'm content with that...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Hawks have sined Coach Q to a 3 year extension. This has him signed till 2017... I'm content with that...
                            You give a mediocre coach a stacked team, and he wins the Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              You give a mediocre coach a stacked team, and he wins the Cup.
                              It worked for Babcock, too.

Comment

I don't love Q although it's hard to argue with 2 Cups in 4 seasons.

He almost gave this year's away though with his stubborn refusal to play Kane & Toews together.

Hopefully they added a common sense lineup clause into the deal

Comment

Working...
                                X